Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The first #/100 insert might have been made way back in 1993.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
By the late 90s cards numbered out of 100 became relatively common, but during the early 90s the only numbered inserts were usually made by Donruss with print runs of 5-10 K. Of course there were numbered autos inserted in packs, but even the rarest had around 500 copies (1992 Score combo auto for example). So that brings me to an obscure product called 1993 Diamond Marks that I busted open before. Each box had tons of packs with just base cards with the exception of an artwork card in it's own transparent pack, hence it could be viewed as a box topper type insert. There are 8 players in the artwork set (inspired by provisions) with an estimated 3,000 copies of each. However a few years ago I noticed an artwork card of Mark Mcgwire on Ebay that was numbered out of 100 on the back. It sold for $80 IIRC. It was so rare that it wasn't mentioned in the artwork set. There's evidence Rickey Henderson also has an artwork card out of a 100. Whether or not those 2 cards made into boxes, I'm not sure. But they are extremely rare and numbered out of 100. Here's a pic of the Mcgwire as a genie.

https://completist.wordpress.com/tag/terry-smith-sports-art/

Last edited:

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Not sure what to make of this. The McGwire and Henderson weren't part of the 8 card set issued in boxes of 93 Diamond Marks. That set was Justice, Bonds, Alomar, Thomas, Yount, Ryan, Griffey Jr., and Olerud.

Found this scan on worthpoint. Something seems odd that Diamondmarks wouldn't promote them as a limited insert on the box or in sales literature, and that they are hand numbered.
1993-colla-collection-mark-mcgwire_1_2c7792cb62c6588096f0d0320eedfe0b.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts