Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2009 Roster Surprises

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
Who are the surprise players who made the 25 man roster for the team you root for.

Milwaukee Brewers:
Casey McGehee
Chris Duffy
Brad Nelson

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Cardinals:
Jason Motte
Colby Rasmus
David Fresee

Braves:
Jordan Schafer

Tigers:
Porcello

A's:
Cahill
Anderson

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
AKA Coastal said:
Cardinals:
Jason Motte

Braves:
Jordan Schafer

Tigers:
Porcello

A's:
Cahill
Anderson

It's not a surprise Motte made the team by any means, but I'll definitely be rooting for him.

Joe Thurston and Brian Barden are the surprises, in my opinion.

elemin8

Aug 7, 2008
Johnny Gomes getting cut in Cincy also Sheffield getting cut and the tigers eating that big of a contract was a surprise.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Skorris CCBC said:
[quote="AKA Coastal":1q3cml4c]Cardinals:
Jason Motte

Braves:
Jordan Schafer

Tigers:
Porcello

A's:
Cahill
Anderson

It's not a surprise Motte made the team by any means, but I'll definitely be rooting for him.

Joe Thurston and Brian Barden are the surprises, in my opinion.[/quote:1q3cml4c]

No doubt. I didn't see it coming before spring training began though.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
AKA Coastal said:
[quote="Skorris CCBC":1ou796xo][quote="AKA Coastal":1ou796xo]Cardinals:
Jason Motte

Braves:
Jordan Schafer

Tigers:
Porcello

A's:
Cahill
Anderson

Joe Thurston and Brian Barden are the surprises, in my opinion.[/quote:1ou796xo]

No doubt. I didn't see it coming before spring training began though.[/quote:1ou796xo]

I'll agree with you there. I actually thought Perez would make the team, not vice versa.

Bill Bray Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I was very suprised (and unhappy) to see that the Reds sent Bill Bray to AAA, and very suprised and also somewhat unhappy to see that we cut Gomes, to keep Darnell Mcdonald (who?) and Laynce Nix.....

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Skorris CCBC said:
[quote="AKA Coastal":24eldiae][quote="Skorris CCBC":24eldiae][quote="AKA Coastal":24eldiae]Cardinals:
Jason Motte

Braves:
Jordan Schafer

Tigers:
Porcello

A's:
Cahill
Anderson

Joe Thurston and Brian Barden are the surprises, in my opinion.[/quote:24eldiae]

No doubt. I didn't see it coming before spring training began though.[/quote:24eldiae]

I'll agree with you there. I actually thought Perez would make the team, not vice versa.[/quote:24eldiae]

He's my dark horse to win ROY if he gets off to a good start and the if the Cardinals play well enough to give him save opportunities.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Bill Bray Collector said:
I was very suprised (and unhappy) to see that the Reds sent Bill Bray to AAA, and very suprised and also somewhat unhappy to see that we cut Gomes, to keep Darnell Mcdonald (who?) and Laynce Nix.....

I don't understand cutting Gomes either. They just cut the only power they've got off the bench.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
did he get cut? b/c he was projected to be their #5

thenumberonemetfan said:
Tim Redding-40.5 era(only 1 game but still)
Im surprised to not see Livan Hernandez

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
jrinne said:
Who are the surprise players who made the 25 man roster for the team you root for.

Milwaukee Brewers:
Casey McGehee
Chris Duffy
Brad Nelson

One would think that making the roster would compel people to list his cards - Where Are They??

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
yay for Nix....boo for McDonald. That guy has been around forever, I can't believe they would not call a younger guy to get experience. McDonald was an Orioles prospect back in like 1998....got busted for steroids, was moved around to like 10 different teams....you might as well just get Corey Patterson back and have him be a 4th OF...

Bill Bray Collector said:

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
not really power when you are only going to bat .150

i totally agree with the reds. gomes can hit..but his hitting APPROACH might be the worst in the MLB

AKA Coastal said:
[quote="Bill Bray Collector":2h0d4sdl]I was very suprised (and unhappy) to see that the Reds sent Bill Bray to AAA, and very suprised and also somewhat unhappy to see that we cut Gomes, to keep Darnell Mcdonald (who?) and Laynce Nix.....

I don't understand cutting Gomes either. They just cut the only power they've got off the bench.[/quote:2h0d4sdl]

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Kevbo said:
jrinne said:

Milwaukee Brewers:
Casey McGehee
Chris Duffy
Brad Nelson

One would think that making the roster would compel people to list his cards - Where Are They??

All I've seen is his '09 stuff and those are even true rookie cards. I haven't seen any '05 BC.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Ryan Roberts getting the final spot for the diamondbacks. Don't know much about this guy, but he is 28 and had a great spring. And he can catch and play 2B I believe, as well as another position I think, so pretty versatile.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
Twins roster was pretty well set prior to ST, so the only real surprise was Brian Duensing beating out out Mijares for the second lefty setup job.

Big news, I know. :p

Craig