Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

F+W MEDIA Files chapter 11 bankrupcy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I just saw a news blurb that F+W Media filed for Chapter 11 bankrupcy but it may not be the end of Sports Collectors Digest as it was reported that F+W Media will try to find buyers for their various titles, including SCD.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Funny story, I LITERALLY thought they were out of business 20 years ago.....I wish I was joking but I don’t know if that says more about me or them
[/url]

I was almost that way. I was subscriber around 1988-1991. Gave up the subscription and didn't give things a second thought until a piece of mail arrives in my mailbox in 2015 or so with a special 6 months/$10 offer or something teaser like that so I figured for nostalgia I'd take a flier on it. It wasn't even the same magazine I remembered and enjoyed - IIRC too much focus on memorabilia and auctions, not so much about current card releases and news that wasn't auction related so I let the teaser subscription end without renewing.

Not sure if SCD has much value. Does Beckett print have much value? I haven't looked at an issue of that in years. I suppose online gives me the news and checklists that I want that I don't need to rely on a print subscription to keep up with hobby news.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
If SCD stays around, I hope they get a lot better than they used to be since the late 90's. And they get rid of that crap auction dealer that always had forgeries with the huge one page ads.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
In 1986, one of my friend's father collected cards and he brought over an SCD.

I was instantly hooked on a magazine which had an enormous amount of info and ads about cards.

From that time until the early 2000s I remained a subscriber.

I can't tell you how much I learned from SCD and I looked forward to getting it every week or two.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Tibor

Sep 16, 2015
Started subscribing to SCD in the early eighties. Always looked forward to Al Rosen's
adds and auctions. Leo's sports collectibles ran adds so did many others. Usually had
150+ pages each issue. Saw it on the news rack a couple of months ago and it was a
mere ghost of its self. I have one or two old issues from the 80's that I'll have to dig out.
Met one of the advertisers at a show in Charlotte in 85 or 86, Ivan Gorodeszki (SP?).
Pronounced his name correctly and he gave me two 1984 Donruss rack packs with
Cal Ripken on top. Still have them. I wonder what ever happened to him? Collecting
was a lot simpler back then. Oh well a different breed of collector.

Members online

No members online now.