Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has Paypal ever asked you for your Social Security #???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
This is weird.

I got an email asking for my SS#.... OF course I thought it was a scam.

I went (outside of the email) and logged into my Paypal account and BAM, it said that it wanted my social security number...

Anyone ever have this happen?

It mentions checking my credit....

Anyone

skrip

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Clear your memory cache and try logging in again. I don't think they should ever need your SS. I might call them too.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
Something is rotten. There is NO WAY they need that information unless you have some line of credit with them or applied for the PAYPAL Visa as an example.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Guys,

I just talked with them. It is legit....

They said since I have had such a large amount of sales lately.. Over $11K in a month. ($8K of coins for my dad)..

They want to check my credit..... Why in the hell do they need to check my credit... the person on the phone was not much help

BUT, apparantly it's legit

I am not comfortable about this at all

skrip

orion9578

Aug 8, 2008
New Mexico
I closed a dispute I had filed with a seller today. I was on the phone with ebay CS and they asked me repeatedly for the last 4 of my social, last 4 of my CC and last 4 of my banking account. Can't say I knew why they'd need any of that info but they did ask for it. I guess it's not the same as giving the whole social but I still thought it was odd they'd need any of that info for what the call was about.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
jrinne said:
Could be for taxing purposes.

This is exactly what I am worried about...

This is what it states.... on the site

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. We would like to return your account to regular standing as soon as possible. We apologize for the inconvenience.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do I need to provide additional information about my account?

We require additional information about your account for the following reason(s):

Apr. 6, 2009: PayPal occasionally performs credit checks on selected account holders. Your account has been selected to go through this process. We must complete a credit review in order for the warning on your account to be lifted. In most cases, the account holder's personal credit is analyzed using a Social Security number and an address likely to generate a match with a credit bureau. Please log into your PayPal account to provide this information. If an examination of your business credit would be more appropriate, please contact our customer service department to supply your Tax ID number.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
If they haven't frozen your account, you might want to go ahead and pull everything out.

If they have, not much you can do. Give them the social.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
Therion said:
If they haven't frozen your account, you might want to go ahead and pull everything out.

They have NOT frozen my account at all...

The scary/weird part is that the guy on the phone couldn't explain to me why they needed it....

skrip

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
ballerskrip said:
Therion said:

The scary/weird part is that the guy on the phone couldn't explain to me why they needed it....

skrip

As mentioned before I would just pull all of your money out. I no longer keep any balance in my paypal account.

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Pp amended the agreement earlier this yr that lets them ask for ss # + do credit checks, esp on accts that have a spike in $ activity (which I’m assuming yours did since you don’t sell a ton regularly?) or ‘high fraud items’ (like coins). Also, in the next yr or 2, ebay/paypal WILL give up your info to the IRS if you have more than 200 transactions/$X incoming into your pp acct/yr. I assume they’ll start collecting SS#s in the next 1-2 yrs.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
mredsox89 said:
ballerskrip said:
Therion said:

skrip

As mentioned before I would just pull all of your money out. I no longer keep any balance in my paypal account.
+1

rainmanesq

Aug 31, 2008
Pulling all your $ out won’t fix the issue @ this point as your acct’s likely already been ‘flagged’ by pp internally + if you continue to have fairly high $ sales/mo. + do NOT let them run your credit/do NOT give your SS#, they’ll likely put a 21 day hold on those funds.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
rainmanesq said:
Pulling all your $ out won’t fix the issue @ this point as your acct’s likely already been ‘flagged’ by pp internally + if you continue to have fairly high $ sales/mo. + do NOT let them run your credit/do NOT give your SS#, they’ll likely put a 21 day hold on those funds.

Thank you to everyone for your information!!! I appreciate it

skrip

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
ballerskrip said:
rainmanesq said:

Thank you to everyone for your information!!! I appreciate it

skrip

Well I'd like to thank you for bringing this to our attention as I've never heard of this & would be in the same predicament you are now (wondering what the hell is going on) if in fact they decided to do this to my account! Now I'll know what's up without hitting the panic button! Thx for the "head's up"... :D

Members online

Latest posts