Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

the blackout rule

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
You wanna know what's really stupid? On MLB.tv, Jays games are blacked out across Canada. Someone in Vancouver, 3,300 km away (2,100 miles) can't watch a Jays game on their computer because they're considered the 'local' team. That's effed up.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
local team games cannot be viewed on mlb.tv b/c the local tv stations have the rights to them

so i cant watch the O's, Nats, Pirates or Phillies on MLB.tv

what's even dumber is that my cable company doesn't even carry the O's channel

so I can't watch a SINGLE live game of my favorite team. i have to watch them all archived. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

predatorkj said:
What exactly is the blackout rule?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Last week the MLB network showed a spring training game Brewers/Dodgers I think. It was blacked out here. Why? Its spring training, it wasn't on local or regional sports channels and Miller Park sure as hell wasn't losing ticket sales over it

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
the rockies are considered local for you? wow isn't omaha like the farthest city in NE away from CO?

notjomommasclint said:
predatorkj said:

http://www.squidoo.com/mlb-blackout-rules

so i live in crescent iowa just 12 miles from omaha nebraska. i cannot watch the cubs, white sox, tigers, royals, rockies, twins, or cardinals!!! instead i get things like espn news!

markakis8 said:
the rockies are considered local for you? wow isn't omaha like the farthest city in NE away from CO?

notjomommasclint said:
predatorkj said:

http://www.squidoo.com/mlb-blackout-rules

so i live in crescent iowa just 12 miles from omaha nebraska. i cannot watch the cubs, white sox, tigers, royals, rockies, twins, or cardinals!!! instead i get things like espn news!

yeah! my brother works for the evil cox :evil: and he says "the rockies are not blacked out" right? so i invited him up for a rockies game last year and he said "well they arent supposed to be blacked out!"

lvdan

Aug 25, 2008
Living in las vegas the following teams qualify as "local markets" and are subject to blackout:
LA Dodgers
LA Angels(both 275 miles away but whatever Ill give them that one)
San Diego
San Francisco
Oakland
Colorado
Arizona
Seattle*
*not always
and a few more- with the 9 to 5 job Im working this is the first time in probably 10 years Im not ordering becasue by the time I get home everything is blacked out.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Maybe everywhere else is just different.Just about every single one of the astros games is on FSN here.If its not on that channel then its on either 55 the tube or maybe on one of the other local stations.If there is no astros game then they show a Rangers game if that's going on.And all of the football games are on channel 13 here as well.I don't think not 1 has ever been blacked out.Maybe its just other places I guess.

Members online