Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

AWESOME Story, Please Read!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
This is pretty long, so decide if you would like to read or not, lol.

I went to the Twins vs Mariners game on wednesday evening. Me and my family went early so I could try to get some autographs and watch some BP.

First thing first. Ken Griffey Jr. has a BEAUTIFUL swing! :lol:

But anyways.... I was sitting right above the Twins dugout waiting for the Twins to come out and stretch and what not. I was sitting next to this man who had asked me if I collect autographs, as I had my ball and pen ready for when the Twins came out. I had replied saying I did and had asked him if he did as well. He had told me that he did not, but he was waiting for somebody. I had asked who he was waiting for, and he told me Alexi Casilla. At first, I had thought that he just wanted his autograph or something like that, but after I told him that Casilla was my favorite player, and that he was my hero, he had then told me that the reason he was waiting for him was because he played with him in the Minors and in Winter League Baseball.
As we got talking, he told me that once Casilla came out that he would be able to hook me up with something. We continued to talk and he had told me his name : Rand Blayton. He told me he played with the Omaha Triple A team and that he suited up for 26 Major League Games with Kansas City. I thought that was great that I was hanging out with an ex-pro, waiting for my favorite player to come out! As we talked, he told me who he knew in the majors, which included Johnny Peralta (He told me that he is his best friend), Francisco Rodriguez, Alexi Casilla, and many more. When he said K-Rod, I laughed and told him that was so cool and all of that stuff. Then he pulls out his phone and asks me for my name again, so I told him, and he got on the phone. I had no idea who he was calling, but I would soon find out that it was going to be something I will never forget. He had greeted the person on the phone in Spanish, so I knew he was talking to someone from the Dominican or something like that. After a while on the phone, he had said. "Francisco, I have a new friend here named Shane who would really love to talk to you." I thought to my self, “Wow! Francisco Liriano!” (Being that I am a Twin fan, that is one name that pops into mind). I took the phone from him and asked who is was. Then he told me, Francisco Rodriguez!!! I didn’t know what to say. I told him that he was awesome and that he was one of my favorite, and to keep up the good work and what not. Although it was not easy to understand what he was saying back, I will always remember that moment!! After our 1 min. conversation, I handed the phone back to Blayton. He spoke some Spanish on the phone, and then hung up. I was speechless. That was so awesome! It is so hard to it into words!
Shortly after, he told me that would of called Peralta if the Indians we not playing at the time. And if that is not enough, when Casilla finally came out, he told Casilla that I was his biggest fan and that he was my hero, and got Casilla to grab two brand new ROMLB baseball and signed then sweet spot. While Blayton and Casilla were talking, Casilla had asked Blayton if I was going to be at the game tomorrow. I had said no, as I had to attend school. Blayton told me that Casilla was going to give me something special at tomorrows game. But since I wasn’t going to be there, I could not get it. So Blayton told me that he would be at the game tomorrow and pick what ever my special gift was from Casilla up and sent it to me in the mail when he got back home to L.A. I was so happy! I could not believe it. To top it all of, Blayton had asked me and my family to join him in his company sweet to watch the game. So we did, and had a blast! At the end of the night we swapped numbers and addresses and went our different ways. I thought that I would most likely never talk to him again, but I was very happy with what had happened earlier in the evening. But, while I was in school, Blayton called me and left a voicemail. In the voicemail, he had said that he was good friends with Nick Adenhart and was leaving town right after the game to go to L.A. to see his family. He later went on to say that next time he comes to Minnesota for business, that he would call me up and that he would bring me to a twins game and hang out with Alexi! I was shocked! He even told me that he found a new friend here in Minnesota and to stay in touch!:D
Well, there it is. If anybody has any info about Rand Blayton’s stats, or has any questions/comments, please LMK. I had a blast that night, and I will never forget it!! Thanks for reading!

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Wow what a random act of kindness, pretty amazing story. I can tell you are thrilled. Congrats :D

EDIT: I'm not finding a Rand Blayton on any minor league affiliated website. Not to be mean but are you sure that is his name?

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
markakis8 said:
Wow what a random act of kindness, pretty amazing story. I can tell you are thrilled. Congrats :D

EDIT: I'm not finding a Rand Blayton on any minor league affiliated website. Not to be mean but are you sure that is his name?
No, no problem. It should be. Unless I mispelled it?!?! He did tell me he suited up for KC for a while, is there a name similar to blayton that you can lookup? I dont know how :oops: Thanks man!

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
sethyarkony said:
I also am not finding a Blayton anywhere on the Royals all time roster
Really? Wow. Can you give me a link on where to acess the alltime roster for KC or Omaha? Thanks, and I dont mean to bother you man, but I am kinda wondering now...

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
and just to add, one of my dad's patients claimed he played for the St. Louis Browns baseball team. he signed a ball for me and my dad brought it home. we looked up his name, he was lying the entire time

Lally1

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
sethyarkony said:
and just to add, one of my dad's patients claimed he played for the St. Louis Browns baseball team. he signed a ball for me and my dad brought it home. we looked up his name, he was lying the entire time
Hmmm. I wouldnt know how to explain the Casilla, or the K-Rod Thing?

Latest posts