Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My picks for breakout MLB stars in 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
i completely agree with you on Lind. So far this year he and Snider have been the best hitters on the Jays so far. I look for Lind to have a very very solid year

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Lind playing against and hitting well against lefties will be the key. He's in there today against one. Good sign.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
I like Lind, I'm just curious how much time he'll have int he OF with Rios Wells and Snider

Also what do you think about Cain or Fred Lewis, no break out this year? They reached their peak?

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Fred Lewis can be a productive player, he just needs to show a bit more power to become a star IMO. .280-20-80 with 25-30 SB would be a ceiling for the type of numbers he could see this year I would think, especially if the hot streak he is currently on continues for a while.

I am a BIG Matt Cain guy, so to me, he is already a star. He will be overshadowed for as long as Lincecum is on the staff, but he might be the best #2 pitcher in all of baseball.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
soccerman034 said:
Fred Lewis can be a productive player, he just needs to show a bit more power to become a star IMO. .280-20-80 with 25-30 SB would be a ceiling for the type of numbers he could see this year I would think, especially if the hot streak he is currently on continues for a while.

I am a BIG Matt Cain guy, so to me, he is already a star. He will be overshadowed for as long as Lincecum is on the staff, but he might be the best #2 pitcher in all of baseball.

Meh, give me Haren over Cain in a heartbeat. Not even close.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
boxbreaker44 said:
this year might be the time he comes into his own as the Padres best overall player.

Better than Adrian?

If he reaches his potential, absolutley. He is a fantastic defensive 3B (which is a premium position) and also has a bit more speed than Gonzalez (although neither are speedsters). Its probably a bit unrealistic to beleive that Kouz can pass Gonzalez this year, but I think it could still happen.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
pujolsjunkie said:
soccerman034 said:

Meh, give me Haren over Cain in a heartbeat. Not even close.

Pretty close IMO...their ERA+ are very similar as are their SO numbers. I would probably give the edge to Cain because hes four years younger, but its pretty much a toss up.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
soccerman034 said:
boxbreaker44 said:
this year might be the time he comes into his own as the Padres best overall player.

Better than Adrian?

If he reaches his potential, absolutley. He is a fantastic defensive 3B (which is a premium position) and also has a bit more speed than Gonzalez (although neither are speedsters). Its probably a bit unrealistic to beleive that Kouz can pass Gonzalez this year, but I think it could still happen.

Sorry, while you can call Lind an unknown type due to where he plays, I think Adrian Gonzalez is the best-kept secret in baseball. He is a total stud that is completely ignored. Not to mention what his numbers would be if he played with a real team and outside of Petco. He's amazing.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
pujolsjunkie said:
soccerman034 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Better than Adrian?

Sorry, while you can call Lind an unknown type due to where he plays, I think Adrian Gonzalez is the best-kept secret in baseball. He is a total stud that is completely ignored. Not to mention what his numbers would be if he played with a real team and outside of Petco. He's amazing.

I agree that Agonz might be the most unrecognized star (almost superstar) in the league, but I think Kouz also has that type of ceiling while playing a harder defensive position. Its just a matter of Kevin staying healthy and continuing to gain MLB polish.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
soccerman034 said:
pujolsjunkie said:
soccerman034 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Better than Adrian?

I agree that Agonz might be the most unrecognized star (almost superstar) in the league, but I think Kouz also has that type of ceiling while playing a harder defensive position. Its just a matter of Kevin staying healthy and continuing to gain MLB polish.
Adrian did win the gold glove. And a year younger than kouz.

soccerman034

Aug 12, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
boxbreaker44 said:
soccerman034 said:
pujolsjunkie said:
soccerman034 said:
boxbreaker44 said:

Better than Adrian?

Adrian did win the gold glove. And a year younger than kouz.

I realize Adrian is a good defensive 1B, but it is 1B... 3B is a premium defensive position. If Kouz can taper up the power and continue playing great D, I could see him as a more valuable player than Agonz in the future. Just my opinion.

Adrian does have a hole in his game though...he cant hit against LHP (OPS below .740 over his career)...Kouz has the same type of issues with RHP, though.

(Disclaimer: I have seen Kouz play in person, I have not seen Adrian play in person.)

dreamerfan

Aug 10, 2008
Rochester,Mi
I myself think that Jeff Larish is going to have a breakout year with no Sheff in front of him at DH and with Thames being overrated and not being able to field a ball. I think he has finally figured out what he needs to do to stay with the Tigers and not waste his talents in Toledo.

Members online