Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where do Cole Hamels and Jon Lester entering next season?

Who is the better pitcher, now and going forward.

• Jon Lester

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
As far as starting pitching goes, and really pitching overall there are some amazing lefties in the game right now. I heard someone say the other day (ESPN, or radio maybe) that Lester has the stuff to possibly be the best pitcher in the Majors in the next few years. Also, I love Cole Hamels and would like to invest in his stuff (I think he is EXTREMELY undervalued right now). So, do these guys have what it takes to be equal to or better than Johan in the cmoing seasons? Where would you rank these 2 guys entering next season overall, not just as lefties. Are they both top 5 pitchers? Right now you would have to say yes, but I guess its left up to wether or not you think they can keep this pace up. I also will include a poll to see who you guys think is the better of the 2. Now and going ahead.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Lester is more consistent. Hamels better pure stuff. Both pitch in ****** parks.

I think moving forward, you're going to see Lester become a real ace in baseball. I think he will continue to improve a great deal, while Hamels will top off.

BowmanChromeAddict

Aug 8, 2008
Downingtown, PA
ostrander111 said:
lester is better in big games, and in others

Pardon me while I laugh out loud at the exaggeration of that statement.

Post Season Comparison:
Lester: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_postseason.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=452657&statType=2

Hamels: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_postseason.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=430935&statType=2

Pretty small sample size for you to make a statement about their "Big Game" ability.

Lester has a career ERA of 3.81
Hamels has a career ERA of 3.43

Lester has a career 1.87:1 K:BB
Hamels has a career 3.6:1 K:BB

Lester averages 5.9IP per start
Hamels averages 6.46IP per start

Lester gives up .999 hits per inning
Hamels gives up .87 hits per inning

Lester gives up .087 HR per inning
Hamels gives up .13 HR per inning

Hamels is only 11 days older than Lester.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
BowmanChromeAddict said:
ostrander111 said:
lester is better in big games, and in others

Pardon me while I laugh out loud at the exaggeration of that statement.

Post Season Comparison:
Lester: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_postseason.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=452657&statType=2

Hamels: http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/individual_player_postseason.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=430935&statType=2

Pretty small sample size for you to make a statement about their "Big Game" ability.

Lester has a career ERA of 3.81
Hamels has a career ERA of 3.43

Lester has a career 1.87:1 K:BB
Hamels has a career 3.6:1 K:BB

Lester averages 5.9IP per start
Hamels averages 6.46IP per start

Lester gives up .999 hits per inning
Hamels gives up .87 hits per inning

Lester gives up .087 HR per inning
Hamels gives up .13 HR per inning

Hamels is only 11 days older than Lester.
I can't speak for that poster, but all year Lester was our stopper. Everytime the Sox started to slide, he would get the ball and go 7 innings with 1 or no runs to get the team back on track. I consider those games as "big games." I don't know what the exact number was but he was something like 8-0 on days he pitched following a loss.
For the OP...Lester won't be a Johan type pitcher but will be equally as good in his own right. His combination of finesse, control and power (mid and sometimes even high 90s fastball) as well as his mental toughness is very difficult to find and I think he will be in the argument as a top tier pitcher for years.

Members online

Latest posts