Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Who and what brands and how do you collect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Hi-

I'm new here, would like to get to know you all........... anyhoo it seems that most of you are not brand specific, more player. Or some specific quality, like refractor type cards or relics..... no matter the manufacturer or whathaveyou

Just curious. I'm 33 and after spending every available penny on cards I had from 83-91ish, I dropped out of the hobby till three years ago. Now I'm about to be divorced because of my baseball card habit :lol: (J/k)

I think some of the cards you guys are buying and showing off are exceptional. Like this guy : http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38205&hilit=+best+pull That's awesome! I mean that card does really rule. But I would seriously (other than the money factor) not really be that into it. :? maybe cause all I have are topps?

For some reason all I collect are topps CC and triple threads and all star stitches. No particular reason...... I have 120+ triple threads and I'm sure a lot of you would be "meh"

everyone collects what they like, so I guess my question is, do you collect player first? brand first? any other reasons?

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
my collections vary significantly...

1. I like collecting vintage of the "record setters" and "history makers"
mays,mantle,cobb,honus,cy,gehrig,ruth,jackie...

2. I like collecting autographed rookies of the big players from the 80s and 90s era where short prints weren't made.

3. I like collecting SP rookies of current stars

4. I like collecting patches of my favorites

5. I also like finding cards i think are undervalued that will go up for a flip

6. I also like collecting a couple cards from many of the classic sets (heritage,archives,A&G,ultimate)

hmmmm....i think thats about it

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
So say your favorite player is "x"

You'll collect player "x" in any series, any manufacturer? Target the patches of said favorite, and go for historical players, assumption is any brand again?

I'll assume your collection is very broad in the terms of company and styles?

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
I collect Barry Zito (autographs and nice patches, irregardless of the brand), Doug Fister (only has one card issued with parallels 2006 BCDP), and Brian Fuentes (everything).

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
check "spotlights" for some large collectors .
i collect players of local minor league team any team they play for . most are pirates

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I collect about 90% of the available Oswalt library of cards. I am not big on printing plates, stamped show cards, minor league, or various oddball stuff. Everything else is fair game, and I will usually buy lots of 5 or more cards I don't have.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Topps and DLP cards that are licensed both by MLB and by MLBPA with some HOF autos/patches/swatches, but no UD of current players as a rule. Have become much, much better at focusing my collection these last few years.

rdg00001

Nov 11, 2008
United States
I collect triple threads as well - but as a set builder. I really enjoy putting together autographed sets, and I think 08's triple threads set is probably the best modern set out there in terms of player selection and the interesting stats/facts that they choose to feature on the cards. Sweet spot autos and vintage topps sets are also other things that I collect - I love the challenge of tracking down the tough cards and then displaying the sets all together. Makes for great conversation pieces!

If you wanna check out my triple threads stash, check it out at: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/rdg00001/trade/Semi-PC/?start=all

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
I collect Andre Dawson & Billy Williams, so because of what's available for my guys, I mostly collect DLP products. But there have been a few nice cards put out by UD and Topps as well.

UltSigDual234-250.jpg

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
1. Hanley Ramirez - Collect him with the unreasonable goal of 1 of every card produced. Almost to 1800 different, and a little under 50% completion.

2. Chad Billingsley - Slightly less unreasonable goal of 1 of everything produced. Just under 60% on this collection, but a lot less is produced than Hanley so it's a more manageable collection.

3. Kelly Shoppach - Going for everything but there is a lot less out there. This is my low end player collection that doesn't take too much time/money as I'm lucky if one new card shows up a week.

4. Topps Gold Label Basketball - Going for a master set (excluding 1/1's). In my opinion it's right near the top of best looking sets ever made and it's one of my favorite periods in the NBA.

5. Damon Stoudamire - My first play collection and I got the itch to finish it the best I could. Also a way to go after some really nice looking 90's stuff.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I mainly collect Bagwell hardcore.I go after every card of his regardless of brand or type.I always buy what I can.

As for the rest of my giant collection I like certain types of cards but in reality they all look cool to me.I will collect just about any card of any player I collect.It really doesn't matter.When you factor all the players I collect and all of the cards I have into the equation...that's a lot of different and different types of cards!

But I would have to say my favorites to get are the 90's stuff.I don;t focus completely on it but I will take a 90's insert or even base card over a newer one if given the choice.I love the diecuts especially.Pacific is the way to go on that.Nobody ever came close to what they did.I also love see through cards as well.Something about those two types of cards just drive me nuts.I guess I am easily amused.This is also why I liked certain non-sport (or comic related cards) from back in the day as well.Its still my opinion some of the best cards ever made were comic book cards.I think they were just a step ahead of sports for a while.Too bad they didn't provide enough of a chase for me(based on what I collected anyway).

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
1) 2008 Ultimate Patch auto set
2) Kelly Johnson
3) 2001 Bat Kings auto set
4) Chipper Jones

I completed the 2008 Ultimate Barrel Slice auto set. See my sig for the various other items in my pc.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
See That's ^^^ what I'm asking about. (predatorkj) Obviously you're a Bagwell fan but beyond that you have somewhat general interests while toeing that line of being eclectic.

I find it interesting that different cards attract different people. Take the Allen & Ginter series, I think they are horrid. Yet my buddy just HAS to have then all.........and several cards of specific players if the cards have stripes, ect....

Different strokes :D

Members online

Latest posts