Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1993 Topps Black Gold Winners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Anyone got any sitting around? I have a handful, but I think there are a couple of variations I still need. I'm only looking for those picturing (a very little) Will Clark.

Here's what I have:

52.jpg
51.jpg

Winner2.jpg
Winner1.jpg

93ToppsBlackGoldABCD.jpg

My guess is that the C/D winner is an error, as Will was in the A group. Interesting little cards, these guys...

Again, let me know if you have any of the Winners picturing Will Clark.

Thanks,

Drew

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
magicpapa said:
you want ones you dont have, or any?

Just those I don't have.

I believe I need:

A: With Stars
C: Certified (if it exists)
A/B: With Stars
C/D: With Stars (if it exists)
A/B/C/D: With Stars

I'm not really sure what the convention is, but I'm going with "Certified" and "With Stars" as differentiated by the text that appears around the group letter. Does that make sense? I believe those with stars have the rules and name/address form on the back, but I'm not certain right now.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
the ones with Certified , were sent with the card sets after being redeemed

i have 2 , C: Certified no clark on them

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Heh looks like we need the opposites.

(you have the stars version of C/D but need the certified)

I need
D - stars (have certified)
CD - stars (have certified)
ABCD - certified (have stars)

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Hey Drew, how many do you have that have McGwire in it? It looks like there were a large group of errors in this set. I don't have any with Clark so I'm no help to you there:

For reference, 2nd row, 3rd card
w_1993--topps_black_gold--d.jpg

I bring this up because I got what I thought was going to be another McGwire, turns out it was an error on Winner D's pictures which means there are a large group of variations here...

w_1993--topps_black_gold--d_winners--stars--err.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
Topps Black Gold cards 1-22 were randomly inserted in series I packs while card numbers 23-44 were featured in series II packs. They were also inserted three per factory set. In the packs, the cards were inserted one evrery 72 hobby or retail packs; one every 12 jumbo packs and one every 24 rack packs. Hobbyists could obtain the set by collecting individual random insert cards or receive 11, 22, or 44 Black Gold cards by mail when they sent in special "You've Just Won" cards, which were randomly inserted in packs. Series I packs featured three different "You've Just Won" cards, entitling the holder to receive Group A (cards 1-11), Group B (cards 12-22), or Groups A and B (Cards 1-22). In a similar fashion, four "You've Just Won" cards were inserted in series II packs and entitled the holder to receive Group C (23-33), Group D (34-44), Groups C and D (23-44), or Groups A-D (1-44). By returning the "You've Just Won" card with 1.50 for postage and handling, the collector received not only the Black Gold cards won but also a special "You've Just Won" card and a congratulatory letter informing the collector that his/her name has been entered into a drawing for one of 500 uncut sheets of all 44 Topps Black Gold cards in a leatherette frame. These standard-size cards feature different color player photos than either the 1993 Topps regular issue or the Topps Gold issue. The player pictures are cut out and superimposed on a black gloss background. Inside white borders, gold refractory foil edges the top and bottom of the card face. On a black-and-gray pinstripe pattern inside white borders, the horizontal backs have a a second cut out player photo and a player profile on a blue panel. The player's name appears in gold foil lettering on a blue-and-gray geometric shape. The first 22 cards are National Leaguers while the second 22 cards are American Leaguers. Winner cards C and D were both originally produced erroneously and later corrected; the error versions show the players from Winner A and B on the respective fronts of Winner cards Cand D. There is no value difference in the variations at this time. The winner cards were redeemable until January 31, 1994.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Guys, I do have a couple of extras, in addition to those I pictured above, but I don't think I have any McGwires. I'll take a look when I'm back in the country...

This little subset is quite interesting and odd, isn't it?

Drew

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
magicpapa said:
the error versions show the players from Winner A and B on the respective fronts of Winner cards Cand D.

Now that is good news! Means Mac is only on his correct card! Thanks Magic!

Now the only question I have is, did they correct the 22 on the back of the redeemed Winner D and reprint it with 11?

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
anyone interested in the 4 sealed sets (redeemed)
A,B,C,D ??

prolly like 6 bucks shipped

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I've got a few of these cards and have noticed something strange. Some of the cards have a date on the back of the card at the bottom and some don't. The photo by onionring9 above is a good example. I have 3 B cards. 2 have the date and 1 doesn't. The 1st 22 cards of the set have dates and the last 22 don't. Goofy.

Members online

Latest posts