Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A little story i would like so opinions on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys, didn't know where to post this, so here you go

So I am big on getting autograph's in person. Whether its baseballs, baseball cards, pictures, bats, ect. I go to minor league games, and have season Tix for The NY MEts, so i get my fair share of In person autographs. When i first began, i got a few good ones like Reyes, Wright, Beltran, so i then learned that the only way to make any money off of them is to authenticate them by JSA, ***, ect. So i go and pay $20 each to get my reyes, and wright balls authenticated. I also brough with me pictures of me right next to reyes/wright and gave them to JSA. My Reyes passed, but my david wright failed. I then learned that there is no refund at all for items that don't pass. (this was about a year and a half ago, i was still a noob). Is it just me or does everyone hate how were paying a company $20 per signature, to tell me that something is real, that I saw, and have picture proof was. I just think this is annoying. Thats why my brother and I began taking pictures with any player we get autos with. then we don't bother getting them authenticated, and when we sell them, we just show the picture of us w/ the player, and its proved legit. I hate how people get cheated out of there money from authentication companies, and our sometimes told something isn't real when you saw it in person.

Just wanted to post this, because it really bothers me. Please reply. Thanks
Aveery

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
That's karma! Athletes get sick of signing stuff so that you can make money, so they stop signing. The little kids who actually want to meet their hero and get their auto to cherish forever are screwed. :|

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
RL24 said:
That's karma! Athletes get sick of signing stuff so that you can make money, so they stop signing. The little kids who actually want to meet their hero and get their auto to cherish forever are screwed. :|

It's easy to spot the sellers as well because they're always the ones with the cameras. BTW, your picture doesn't make your auto legit. Anyone can pull that photo off eBay and use it as their own.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
ru4scuba said:
RL24 said:

It's easy to spot the sellers out as well because their always the ones with the cameras. BTW, your picture doesn't make your auto legit. Anyone can pull that photo off eBay and use it as their own.

As if a picture of the player proves that particular autograph is real.

Craig

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
Craig - 21hawk said:
As if a picture of the player proves that particular autograph is real.

Craig

You have got to be kidding! Nothing says "this autograph is authentic" like a picture of the player. :lol:

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
no.. a few things i want to sell, i am not mostly in it for the money, i enjoy getting a picture with a player, more than the auto, just so i can say "yea i met him, look ", most guys i meet, i do not sell. And i didn't sell any of the things mentioned. I havn't really met any guys and then sold there autos, a few i've tryed though

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah...I agree the whole picture with the player bit proves nothing.For all anyone else knows, you could have taken a picture with the player and he may have been signing something for someone else or even signed something for you but it doesn't mean the item your selling is legit.Whats odd is a lot of times I see people getting their pic taken of the player signing just random autos on certain things and then try to use it as a proof of a totally different item than whats in the picture.I have seen a few where people were selling auto'd bats but you can clearly see in the picture that the player is signing balls.

I also agree that it kinda sucks for fans who actually want to get an auto to keep to have to wait in line behind you if your selling them.Let the fans get theirs.But I also don't think it should matter one bit to a palyer that someone sells their stuff and if I ever meet a player who has the nuts to come out and say something about it...I'll make him look like a fool in front of everyone for opening his mouth.Over paid pri-madonnas!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
thegreathambino said:
no.. a few things i want to sell, i am not mostly in it for the money, i enjoy getting a picture with a player, more than the auto, just so i can say "yea i met him, look ", most guys i meet, i do not sell. And i didn't sell any of the things mentioned. I havn't really met any guys and then sold there autos, a few i've tryed though

The best thing to do is go to a private signing or a regular show or even a fan fest.That way you get a good nice signature and not some crap job they do if they are in a hurry.These are much more likely to pass authentication and it will most likely fetch more since they don't normally side panel you at these types of events.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
predatorkj said:
thegreathambino said:

The best thing to do is go to a private signing or a regular show or even a fan fest.That way you get a good nice signature and not some crap job they do if they are in a hurry.These are much more likely to pass authentication and it will most likely fetch more since they don't normally side panel you at these types of events.
players getting paid there millions have some nerve to tell me, or anyone that they can't sign an auto. They should be happy to sign. And you know what, even if people do sell them (which i don't) they are entitled too. They make money by playing baseball, others make money signing autograph's. It doesn't matter. People need to make money there own way. When guys get paid millions, the least they could do is sign some autograph's.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
thegreathambino said:
predatorkj said:
thegreathambino said:

players getting paid there millions have some nerve to tell me, or anyone that they can't sign an auto. They should be happy to sign. And you know what, even if people do sell them (which i don't) they are entitled too. They make money by playing baseball, others make money signing autograph's. It doesn't matter. People need to make money there own way. When guys get paid millions, the least they could do is sign some autograph's.

So when you said you sold them in your original post you were lying?

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
players dont have to sign they do it for fans cause they want to, but they dont have to sign for sellers if they are not getting paid. Them making money has nothing to do with their signing habits. Thats like saying hey that lawyer makes money he should give me legal advice for free.

And if you are not selling why in gods name would you authenticate something that was signed in front of you.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Wow, there are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to begin. The OP needs to get a grip, athletes aren't there to be at our disposal.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
nyc3 said:
players dont have to sign they do it for fans cause they want to, but they dont have to sign for sellers if they are not getting paid. Them making money has nothing to do with their signing habits. Thats like saying hey that lawyer makes money he should give me legal advice for free.

And if you are not selling why in gods name would you authenticate something that was signed in front of you.

I think it should not matter to them what will happen to the autographs.It should only come down to whether or not they feel like signing.I won't hold a grudge if someone doesn't feel like signing but I don't understand why they would care if someone were to sell the autograph.

To bring your example back into perspective...that's like me having to pay for a lawyer and get advice and then passing it along to someone else.I had to waste my time for the auto, and my money on the item.Why does anyone else care what I do with it.

And no...I won't sell any of my autos.Ever.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Hey guys, this is me back-pedaling:
Alan%20backwards%20bike.jpg

thenumberonemetfan said:
thegreathambino said:
predatorkj said:
thegreathambino said:

gonzagacubs

Aug 7, 2008
Glenpool, OK
hahahaha. thanked!

hive17 said:
Hey guys, this is me back-pedaling:
Alan%20backwards%20bike.jpg

thenumberonemetfan said:
thegreathambino said:
predatorkj said:
thegreathambino said:

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
thegreathambino said:
predatorkj said:
thegreathambino said:

Players have the nerve to tell you they cant sign an auto??????

Seriously...who the hell are you? They owe you nothing more than to give you their best on the field and then they can go home to their family. They do not owe you an autograph for any reason you ding ****!!

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Here's a photo of The Babe signing a ball. I'll be using it as proof when I sell my 1,500 Ruth auto'd balls.

37966t.jpg

f2tornado

Aug 14, 2008
Grand Forks, ND
Grading/Authenticating services are not infallible. Some legits autos are dismissed and you can bet the farm some fakes also get through. I cannot speak for JSA, PSA, etc. but know BGS has wrongly tagged some of my cards with QA. It happens. You are paying for the opinion, not a rubber stamp.

Members online

Latest posts