Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Blast from the past, Who got the better deal Red Sox/Marlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigalexx

Aug 7, 2008
El Segundo, CA
November 24, 2005: Traded by the Boston Red Sox: Hanley Ramirez, Jesus Delgado (minors), Harvey Garcia and Anibal Sanchez to the Florida Marlins for Josh Beckett, Mike Lowell and Guillermo Mota.

Hanley is one of the best players in the MLB, and Anibal Sanchez threw a no-hitter.

Beckett is one of the best pitchers in the MLB and the Red Sox won a world series, that they wouldn't have won without him.

Who do you think got the better deal?

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
I think the deal is about as even as it gets, but I will take the Sox side not because they got a better deal but because they would not have won 2 WS titles without Beckett.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
The most annoying and played out question in all of baseball.
The answer: both teams won. The Sox got what they needed with a dominant ace who can deal in the playoffs, the Marlins got one of the best young players.
Why does every trade have to have a winner and a loser???

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
bigalexx said:
November 24, 2005:

Beckett is one of the best pitchers in the MLB and the Red Sox won 2 world series titles.

Beckett only has 1 ring though

Edit: I mean 1 BoSox ring

GAbballplayer148

Aug 13, 2008
KandKCards said:
The most annoying and played out question in all of baseball.
The answer: both teams won. The Sox got what they needed with a dominant ace who can deal in the playoffs, the Marlins got one of the best young players.
Why does every trade have to have a winner and a loser???

Because more often than not, someone knows something that the other does not.

Also, the trade involving Volquez/Hamilton was looking pretty even last year. I think the Rangers may get the better of it this year, though.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
hive17 said:
bigalexx said:
November 24, 2005:

Beckett is one of the best pitchers in the MLB and the Red Sox won 2 world series titles.

He has two. One with the Marlins, one with the sox

yep, meant 1 with the BoSox. musta posted as I was editing :)

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
hive17 said:
mredsox89 said:
hive17 said:
bigalexx said:
November 24, 2005:

He has two. One with the Marlins, one with the sox

yep, meant 1 with the BoSox. musta posted as I was editing :)

haha, im just that quick. Actually just really bored

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
Beckett didn't win them the World Series though. He CONTRIBUTED. The World Series part, he definitely did not as the Rockies were absolutely horrible in that series. Leading up to it, he also did not necessarily win it for them. . . Who's to say another pitcher could have not pitched equally as well as Beckett? A guy who can only make 2 or 3 (depending on amount of time between game) appearances per series can by no means win a World Series for their team. He was a contributor, but the Red Sox still won games without him.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
angelsrockies4ever said:
Beckett didn't win them the World Series though. He CONTRIBUTED. The World Series part, he definitely did not as the Rockies were absolutely horrible in that series. Leading up to it, he also did not necessarily win it for them. . . Who's to say another pitcher could have not pitched equally as well as Beckett? A guy who can only make 2 or 3 (depending on amount of time between game) appearances per series can by no means win a World Series for their team. He was a contributor, but the Red Sox still won games without him.

Lowell was a bigger part in the series than Beckett was. Why do so many people just ignore Lowell's impact and only focus on Beckett? Who's to say the sox would even have gotten to the WS without the two of them?

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
angelsrockies4ever said:

Lowell was a bigger part in the series than Beckett was. Why do so many people just ignore Lowell's impact and only focus on Beckett? Who's to say the sox would even have gotten to the WS without the two of them?
You just greatly helped my point. Beckett didn't WIN the World Series for the Sox.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
angelsrockies4ever said:
mredsox89 said:
angelsrockies4ever said:

You just greatly helped my point. Beckett didn't WIN the World Series for the Sox.

Yea, Beckett didn't, but Lowell was just as big a part of the trade.

Members online

Latest posts