Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Josh Beckett overrated?

Is Josh Beckett overrated?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
We all know what he did in the post season in 04 & 07. His regular season last year was spectacular. But how about his 06 season, this years regular season, and how he's getting beat up pretty good right now. He says he's healthy, so is he just a bit overrated?

mlbsalltimegreats

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Is Josh Becket overrated?

I say no as I think he is just more bothered by injury this year than anything else. Ofcourse he wont admit it. With that said I still think Schilling is their all time best postseason pitcher.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
He is overrated simply for the attention he garners from two great postseasons. Those performances outweigh his overall accomplishments. When people say he's one of the best pitchers in the game I can only laugh. Only one Cy worthy season in 2007, and only two seasons over 200 IP. Granted he is injury prone, and still very young, but the question was is he overrated. It's a resounding yes in my book. He still has a lot of time in his career, but he's injured so often it's hard to tell if he will ever become an elite pitcher outside of October.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
MOFNY said:
He is overrated simply for the attention he garners from two great postseasons. Those performances outweigh his overall accomplishments. When people say he's one of the best pitchers in the game I can only laugh. Only one Cy worthy season in 2007, and only two seasons over 200 IP. Granted he is injury prone, and still very young, but the question was is he overrated. It's a resounding yes in my book. He still has a lot of time in his career, but he's injured so often it's hard to tell if he will ever become an elite pitcher outside of October.

Will you name OVER five pitchers who you think are better than Beckett?

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
MOFNY said:

these pitchers
http://www.hardballtimes.com/thtsta...ue_filter[]=All&pos_filter[]=SP&Submit=Submit

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
sportscardtheory said:
MOFNY said:

In the playoffs or just better? Yes I can name five...in fact it's not that hard. Santana, Halladay, Webb, Oswalt, Zambrano, Haren. There that's 6. I can easily go on if you want. Hell I'm leaving out guys like Sabathia, Peavy, Hudson, Lincecum, etc.

MOFNY said:
sportscardtheory said:
MOFNY said:

In the playoffs or just better? Yes I can name five...in fact it's not that hard. Santana, Halladay, Webb, Oswalt, Zambrano, Haren. There that's 6. I can easily go on if you want. Hell I'm leaving out guys like Sabathia, Peavy, Hudson, Lincecum, etc.

This is Hilarious. Please tell me buddy, how many HUGE playoff games or WORLD SERIES games has those guys pitched in?

beckett pretty much saved bostons series last year, and pitched lights out for the marlins. He is responsible for 2 RINGS.
Beckett is not healthy right now. Ill take him over ANY of the pitchers you just named in a big post season game.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Big Mac McGwire said:
MOFNY said:
sportscardtheory said:
MOFNY said:

This is Hilarious. Please tell me buddy, how many HUGE playoff games or WORLD SERIES games has those guys pitched in?

beckett pretty much saved bostons series last year, and pitched lights out for the marlins. He is responsible for 2 RINGS.
Beckett is not healthy right now. Ill take him over ANY of the pitchers you just named in a big post season game.

I agree, only two of those guys have only ONE ring... and Beckett already has two. I'll take rings over stats any day of the week. I WILL say that Beckett is not the BEST out of all of those players, but he is certainly not the worst of them.

Edit - I believe Webb is the ONLY one of those pitchers to win a ring... correct me if I'm wrong.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Big Mac McGwire said:
MOFNY said:
sportscardtheory said:
MOFNY said:

Postseason is a team effort. You have to get there first. So basically you are saying his 11 postseason starts outweigh career stats by the above individuals? This is exactly what I'm talking about, and is just solidifying the topic of the thread. I'm not saying Beckett is bad. In fact he can easily emerge as one of the best in the league. But consistency is a huge factor for me when measuring a pitcher's worth. Beckett's best year was sandwiched in between a lousy year, and an injury shortened year. And just an fyi Oswalt is undefeated in the playoffs and has an NLCS MVP.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
MOFNY said:
Big Mac McGwire said:
MOFNY said:
sportscardtheory said:
MOFNY said:

Postseason is a team effort. You have to get there first. So basically you are saying his 11 postseason starts outweigh career stats by the above individuals? This is exactly what I'm talking about, and is just solidifying the topic of the thread. I'm not saying Beckett is bad. In fact he can easily emerge as one of the best in the league. But consistency is a huge factor for me when measuring a pitcher's worth. Beckett's best year was sandwiched in between a lousy year, and an injury shortened year. And just an fyi Oswalt is undefeated in the playoffs and has an NLCS MVP.

I hate to say this because I like Oswalt a lot but I don't think he can hold a candle to Beckett.I think the only pitchers you mentioned that may be better are Sabbathia and Halladay. For some reason the hitting seems to be better in the American league and the pitching must stay on par with this to keep the bats down.I think you would be hardpressed to find many guys in the national league (especially guys who pitch in the NL west) who are much better than the staff aces of the AL East or any clubs in the AL. I would definitley say that the AL is way supererior to the NL in all respects.That being said...I just don't see these guys being able to compete with the level that Beckett has to post season or not.

Sabbathia is a great example.He came over and dominated.Most pitchers who come from an AL club can.I also think thats why a lot of the ace pitchers in the AL have higher eras than the aces in the NL because the hitting is just so much better.Its also why the AL clubs kill us in the world series, the all star game, and interleague play.

Beckett may be overrated only in one respect: He plays for a highly touted playoff contender so you will hear more about him.But he is the real deal.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
I just think it's a bit skewed that he's looked at a one of the best pitchers in the game due to 2 good postseasons. Scott Brosius he some pretty good postseason series and no ever thought he was one of the best players in the game.

I also don't like this injury arguement. Either he's healthy and just pitching horribly, or he's hurt and not saying anything. If that's the case, isn't he doing his team more harm than good?

Ok ill end this conversation right now. The greatest money pitcher in the world series BOB Gibson.

Gibson's Post Season Record
9 Games started. 7 - 2 1.89 Era overall

Beckett's Post Season Career Record 9 Games Started
Division Series 1-1 Era 0.56

LCS 3-0 Era 2.70

World Series 2-1 Era 1.16
Overall 6-2 1.47 Era overall

Are you people serious? He is this generation Bob Gibson in Big games. Give me all those names. Zambrano, Lincicum as one kid said, Webb, Oswalt etc. Keep them coming. The dude has 2 Rings. Saved Bostons series last year and pitched a complete game win in 03 against the yankees to win it. Get real. Bob Gibson has the best record in the last 40 years in the post season. Look at Beckett. Beckett has been money in the post season. Overrated. Yeah. Are you kidding me. He is THIS generations Bob Gibson. All the other pitchers mentioned with exception to Oswalt never pitch in the games beckett pitches in. Beckett is dominant in October , aka High pressure, HUGE game scenerios.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Big Mac McGwire said:
Ok ill end this conversation right now. The greatest money pitcher in the world series BOB Gibson.

LCS 3-0 Era 2.70

Are you people serious? He is this generation Bob Gibson in Big games. Give me all those names. Zambrano, Lincicum as one kid said, Webb, Oswalt etc. Keep them coming. The dude has 2 Rings. Saved Bostons series last year and pitched a complete game win in 03 against the yankees to win it. Get real. Bob Gibson has the best record in the last 40 years in the post season. Look at Beckett. Beckett has been money in the post season. Overrated. Yeah. Are you kidding me. He is THIS generations Bob Gibson. All the other pitchers mentioned with exception to Oswalt never pitch in the games beckett pitches in. Beckett is dominant in October , aka High pressure, HUGE game scenerios.

And he is only 28... there are a couple pitchers I would rather have though, he isn't the best pitcher in the game by far. He is clutch, and that is what really matters though. He has a 20 win season, he has more career strikeouts than innings pitched. His ERA is reasonable, and will probably go down with many more good seasons. He does have a few health issues, but some guys do... it's what he does when he pitches healthy that makes him a good pitcher.

sportscardtheory said:
Big Mac McGwire said:

LCS 3-0 Era 2.70

And he is only 28... there are a couple pitchers I would rather have though, he isn't the best pitcher in the game by far. He is clutch, and that is what really matters though. He has a 20 win season, he has more career strikeouts than innings pitched. His ERA is reasonable, and will probably go down with many more good seasons. He does have a few health issues, but some guys do... it's what he does when he pitches healthy that makes him a good pitcher.

I am NOT talking about REGULAR season. LETS GET THAT CLEAR. My point is that Beckett can not be over hyped because of what he has done in the post season. WHEN IT MATTERS THE MOST. Obviously you want a 19 year old or a 20 year old phenom over a 28 year old. Dont say beckett is over rated when the guy has stats in the post season that are better or in the same category as BOB GIBSON. and dont go any say you would rather have Tim Lincicum or Carlos Zambrano over Gibson in a big game. Beckett is hyped because he is DOMINANT in the games that matter the most.

Latest posts