Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Autopsy shows Mark Fidrych died in a horrible way.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here's an update on the death of former Tigers pitcher, Mark Fidrych.

The medical examiner ruled he suffocated after his clothes got caught in the truck's drive shaft.
What a horrific way to die, since it wasn't an instant death and he must have been panicking trying to free himself.
I had thought the truck fell on him and it was a quick death.

Here's the story from the Associated Press.

NORTHBOROUGH, Mass. -- Former All-Star pitcher Mark Fidrych suffocated after his clothes became entangled with a spinning part on the truck he was working on, Massachusetts authorities said Thursday.

The state medical examiner's office ruled the death an accident, according to a release from the Worcester District Attorney's office.

A friend found Fidrych, 54, beneath a 10-wheel dump truck on Monday at his Northborough farm.

"He appeared to have been working on the truck when his clothes became tangled in the truck's power takeoff shaft," District Attorney Joseph Early Jr. said in a statement.

A power takeoff shaft is a driveshaft that spins at high speed and can be used to power another piece of equipment.

The investigation is now closed, a spokesman for the DA said.

Fidrych went 19-9 with a 2.34 ERA for the Detroit Tigers in 1976 to win the AL Rookie of the Year award, becoming as famous for his mop of curly hair and on-the-mound antics as his skills.

The Bird, as he was known, was beloved by Tigers fans for appearing to talk to the ball and smoothing out the mound between innings.

He never matched the heights of his first season, as injuries derailed his promising career.

He attempted a comeback with the Boston Red Sox in 1982 and 1983, but never again pitched above the Triple-A level.

Fidrych remained a popular figure in his hometown, known for his friendly demeanor and generosity.

Visitation is scheduled for Thursday at the First Parish Unitarian Church in Northborough. A funeral service is scheduled for 11 a.m. on Friday at the same church, followed by private burial.

Fidrych is survived by his wife, Ann, and daughter, Jessica.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
So he was working under a running vehicle??

Horrible way to die.... but not the smartest decision on his part either.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
lisu said:
That's horrible. :( I can't imagine how the grieving relatives are reacting right now - knowing that he suffered. :(
That is a horrific way to day, and btw your sig is a tad too long for my screen, just an fyi.

mr148927

Aug 8, 2008
boston
dam, that sucks. he most liekly was fixing the driveshaft, and then started the dump truck, and got back underneath to see if he had fixed it. thus the clothing getting caught with a running vehicle. just my thoughs . R.I.P Mark Fidrych

bigalbert

Aug 7, 2008
Sad news indeed. Prayers for the family.

The PTO (power take off) is another shaft that in this case turns the hydraulic pump which lifts the truck box up to dump out whatever is in it. This can be engaged while the truck is standing still. Probably was having trouble with the pump and had the PTO engaged and was checking for the problem or checking to see if it worked after he fixed it.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
aw00d05 said:
lisu said:
That's horrible. :( I can't imagine how the grieving relatives are reacting right now - knowing that he suffered. :(
That is a horrific way to day, and btw your sig is a tad too long for my screen, just an fyi.

Maybe you need to set your IE or Mozilla window size differently. I am viewing on a 12 inch screen, and it's not too big....

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
LLWesMan said:
aw00d05 said:
lisu said:

Are you sure you quoted the right person her sig is tiny.
On both my comps, its just a line of cards, it may be different on yours, doesn't really bother me just thought I'd point out though.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
WoW, I'll really have to show my g/f this. I showed her the article where he was found dead under the truck, I too thought the truck fell on him. She is always all about fixing everything herself, and I like to hire a professional. I showed her the article to prove my point...

lisu said:
aw00d05 said:
lisu said:

Maybe you need to set your IE or Mozilla window size differently. I am viewing on a 12 inch screen, and it's not too big....

I must really really need to adjust mine then...
IMG00216.jpg

That's a 12" ruler, I think my screen is 18". I can only see to the Xfractor....

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
RL24 said:
WoW, I'll really have to show my g/f this. I showed her the article where he was found dead under the truck, I too thought the truck fell on him. She is always all about fixing everything herself, and I like to hire a professional. I showed her the article to prove my point...

lisu said:
aw00d05 said:
lisu said:

I must really really need to adjust mine then...
IMG00216.jpg

That's a 12" ruler, I think my screen is 18". I can only see to the Xfractor....

Mine shows Lisu's Sig on 2 lines. Great sig by the way.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Jurgy25 said:
Mine shows Lisu's Sig on 2 lines. Great sig by the way.

Mine shows it on 2 lines too. hmmm. I wonder if it's something with IE or Mozilla? I'd be happy to fix it, if I knew what would make it easier.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Judging by that screenshot, IE 6 is being used. At least update to IE 7 or download Firefox 3. IE 6 is a horrible excuse for a browser. IE 7 is no better, but it displays pages much better.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Well... I'm at work. :lol: So I have to use the browser they give me.

It doesn't bug me or anything, the sig being too wide that is, I just thought I'd show how it doesn't fit on my big old screen...

Members online

Latest posts