Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

eBay Help- Trimming?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Here's the card in question from seller tigerchamp09. Does anyone know anything about this seller, good or bad?
!BQtHvNw!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7,BJ6TLd0seg~~_1.jpg

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
If you do a quick "test" in Photoshop...it's trimmed by about 1/16th too thin.

It's not an exact science with scans...but more than enough to convince me to move on.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
200lbhockeyplayer said:
If you do a quick "test" in Photoshop...it's trimmed by about 1/16th too thin.

It's not an exact science with scans...but more than enough to convince me to move on.

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Something about the scan just didn't look right to me.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Here is a screen shot of the Photoshop mock...the light blue guide lines show the dimensions of a standard 2.5" X 3.5" card.

pujols_leaf_trim.jpg

So clearly from this mock-up, it appears to be thin from left to right, but that isn't to say that the seller trimmed the card, knows the card is trimmed, or whether or not it is in fact trimmed.

Some Leaf autographs over the years have indeed shown inconsistent widths...but I would doubt BGS would grade this card.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
For the amount involved for this card, I want to be as confident in the trimming/non-trimming as I am about Albert using steroids (pretty confident). You have been thanked again.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Codasco07 said:
For the amount involved for this card, I want to be as confident in the trimming/non-trimming as I am about Albert using steroids (pretty confident). You have been thanked again.
I completely understand on wanting to be confident on that card. Sadly, it seems ever ungraded Pujols autograph is almost immediately "questionable".

Not to say that perfect raw singles don't exist, it's just too many sleeze-bags out there wrecking it for the regular collectors.

I don't know if you have Photoshop, but I do this on a fair amount of potentially questionable eBay auctions I'm interested in.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
I honestly can't believe how many people trim. One tiny error and you ruin a $500 card. Is it really worth the extra money a BGS 9.5 would bring? I know for some cards that are impossible to grade (like the SPx) the 9.5 is a huge premium. But I just could never take that risk.

trolea1234

Aug 7, 2008
I dont know anything about the seller. But I wish I wouldnt have sold mine like that. I pulled it back in 02. Really wish I would of kept that one.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
KandKCards said:
I honestly can't believe how many people trim. One tiny error and you ruin a $500 card. Is it really worth the extra money a BGS 9.5 would bring? I know for some cards that are impossible to grade (like the SPx) the 9.5 is a huge premium. But I just could never take that risk.

If people would just realize how dumb grading is, we wouldn't have this problem.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
flightposite said:
KandKCards said:

If people would just realize how dumb grading is, we wouldn't have this problem.

But it will never happen, so you might as well take advantage of it (grading, not trimming). I wont pay a premium for a graded card, but I will grade so long as people will pay more than the grading fee

boomo

Sep 14, 2008
flightposite said:
KandKCards said:

wish everyone thought like we do flight, it has deff ruined everything about collecting cards.
that and fake patch makers.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
boomo said:
flightposite said:
KandKCards said:

wish everyone thought like we do flight, it has deff ruined everything about collecting cards.
that and fake patch makers.

i like to blame the internet.

Members online