Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Game Notes from 4/17/09 Portland Seadogs and Binghamton Mets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
I went to the game expecting to see for Binghamton Ruben Tejada and Josh Thole. However, they sat this game out. I was basically limiting to taking notes on Lars Anderson, Josh Reddick, and Argenis Diaz. I will start with Josh Reddick, who showed me some good tools, but also some flaws in his game.

100_0010.jpg
Josh Reddick:

1st AB: Started out the AB by taking a bunch of pitches to get to a 2-2 count, but wisely layed off a pitch out of the zone. On the 3-2, Reddick got out in front of an offspeed for a weak ground. Though, he came close to beating it out by hustling out of the box and missing first by a couple of steps.
2nd AB: Reddick took a couple of pitches to get to a 1-1 count. Reddick, then got a good pitch to drive and nearly hit a homerun hitting the ball to deep right center that backed up the outfielder nearly to the wall. In a normal summer day with warmer temperatures and lighter winds, this ball is a homerun. There was a stiff breeze that was blowing in from left to right field and it caught the ball Reddick hit allowing it to be caught.
3rd AB: Reddick walked on 4 pitches that weren't even close to the plate as Dillon Owen was melting down on the mound.
4th AB: Reddick drew a ball to get to a 1-0 count, but showed a good eye by taking a close pitch to make it 2-0. He then took a couple of strikes to get to a 2-2 count and again showed a good eye by not chasing a pitch out of the zone. On the 3-2 count, he roped a triple down the right field line, showing his solid speed, but not great speed.
5th AB: Reddick drew a ball to get a 1-0 count, but he got aggressive and was way out in front of a pitch and had a short flyout.

In the field, Reddick showed off his strong arm once, throwing a strike to the cutoff man to prevent a runner from going to 3rd. However, he mistime/misjumped a line drive that ended up getting hit over his head for a double. Reddick, looked bored in center most of this game, because the Mets have one of the most punchless clubs in the minors and weren't hitting much out of the infield.

My assessment of Reddick, is that he is a very good talent who could be a borderline allstar if he reaches his ceiling. He might not have enough speed to play in center but his arm will play in rightfield. He showed better instincts while batting and has good bat speed, but not in the elite class such as Bruce, Braun, or Upton. Reddick could peak out at .290 25 HR 15 SB.

100_0012.jpg
Lars Anderson:

1st AB: 1-1 count he was out in front of a breaking pitch for a ground out.
2nd AB: Lars showed why he has one of the best eyes in the minors. In this AB, Anderson was taking several pitches and not chasing pitches out of the strikezone. Lars ended up walking on a 3-2 count.
3rd AB: This IMO was the worst AB out of any player on both teams on this night. 1st pitch, Anderson took a strike down the middle. The 2nd pitch in the AB, Anderson swung and missed on a changeup. On he 3rd pitch of the AB, Anderson pretty much gave up on the AB and chased a horrible pitch out of the zone. After this AB, you could hear Lars using the bat on equipment in the dugout.
4th AB: Anderson had a 1-1 count and hit a sac fly to center to drive in Reddick from 3rd.
5th AB: On a 1-1 count, Anderson showed his eye again and drew a ball for a 2-1 count. On the 2-1 count, Anderson swung and missed swinging out of his shoes clearly going for a HR. The next pitch on a 2-2 count was a meatball BP fastball down the pipe at 88 MPH, which Anderson just destroyed for a HR to dead center well over 400 feet. This was the hardest i've ever heard a ball get hit at a game. This may have been the hit that got Anderson out of his early slump.

In the field, Anderson showed some good hustle despite below average range. Anderson went after a foul ball and almost went up into the stands in an attempt to get the ball. Anderson also showed a good glove getting a couple of poorly thrown balls with good scoops.

My assesment of Anderson, is that he is a very good talent. He might be too passive while batting, which might hamper him in the future. I know soxprospects has a comp of Justin Morneau, but he doesn't remind me at all of Morneau in his hitting and even in the field. Too me, he might play 1st for 5 years and move to DH for the better part of his career. To me, his ceiling is Jim Thome, and his downside IMO won't be bad either. Either Anderson becomes a superstar,or mearly an everyday player such as another uber 1st base prospect a decade ago in Nick Johnson.

100_0013.jpg
Argenis Diaz:

1st AB: Diaz was very agressive due to a couple of baserunners and got a groundball single up the middle on the first pitch.
2nd AB: Just an awful AB here for Diaz. On the 1st pitch, he nearly jumped to swing at the pitch and missed badly. The 2nd pitch Diaz took for a strike. On the 3rd pitch of the AB, Diaz just flat out chased a breaking pitch out of the zone.
3rd AB: Diaz swung at a pitch with 2 runners on base and nearly grounded into a triple play. He was way out in front, and grounded it right to the 3rd baseman, who touched 3rd, threw to 2nd to get the out, while Diaz beat the throw to 1st by a couple of steps. Diaz was pulled in the later innings for Iggy Saurez.

In the field, Diaz showed some good range and showed his strong arm gunning out a guy going to 3rd. However, he is an average runner at best, and will likely be a limited base stealer in the majors.

My assesment of Diaz, is that he is going to be a future utility player. His hitting needs a lot of work in order to be a .270 hitter in the majors. I see his ceiling similar to Pokey Reese without the speed. He will find a job in the majors, but there is a very slim chance of him being the Redsox Short Stop of the future.

Members online