Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper News (Scan Added on Page 3)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
A friend of mine was in Vegas over the weekend and met Mr. Harper, as well as his coach. He got his signature on several items, including an auto'd OMLB on the sweet spot, which I just purchased.

He told me that Harper was a really cool kid in person and his coach said that he was considering getting his GED to enter the draft one year early (2010). Since his advisor is none other than Boras (who always advocates going to college), I'm not sure how likely this is to happen, but figured I'd pass this info along to everyone.

I'll scan the ball in this thread when it arrives.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Re: Bryce Harper News

200lbhockeyplayer said:
He still can't enter the draft just with his GED I don't think.

Correct. See the bolded part below.

From ASK BA:

Following up on a question from the last Ask BA discussing the top picks in 2010, is there any reason to think that Bryce Harper couldn't get a GED diploma, thus making him eligible for the 2010 draft? That would be the smart thing to do for a number of reasons, and there's a history with Scott Boras pulling that rabbit out of his hat. Do you think the generally disappointing results experienced by catchers Landon Powell and Robert Stock since obtaining their GED diploma would detour the Harper camp from such a consideration?

Dan Mattheis
Fairfield, Calif.

Harper, a sophomore catcher at Las Vegas High, already is regarded as the top prospect for the 2011 draft and would go No. 1 overall in next year's draft if he became eligible. But getting a GED diploma wouldn't automatically allow him to enter the 2010 draft.

The only high school junior ever to get drafted, Jeremy Bonderman (an Athletics first-rounder in 2001), was eligible because he obtained his GED diploma and his high school class had graduated. The year before, Powell met the same requirements but major league teams didn't realize he could enter the draft and thus didn't pick him. Stock graduated a year early from high school but wasn't subject to the draft before entering Southern California as a 17-year-old freshman. (And to clarify on Stock: He didn't graduate from high school or get his GED, instead entering Southern California via its resident honors program after meeting the university's standards for admission.)

Harper could become eligible for the 2010 draft if he got his GED diploma and then attended a junior college next spring, because all juco players are subject to the draft. Neither Powell (who become a first-round pick as a South Carolina senior) or Stock signed out of high school, so I don't think their careers would affect any decision Harper might make. But why not enjoy your senior year of high school rather than cash in a year early? The money should still be there, barring injury.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008

That's what I thought. The Bonderman case was an oddball simply because he was held back a year in school, therefore as a "junior" his previous/original "class" was graduating.

I assume Harper hasn't been held back at all in his schooling so far.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008

caseya10781 said:
Why would he want to do this?

That eager for the big bucks or fear of injury in his senior year?

Casey
When you do the math on what Robert Stock will probably miss out on...it could be a difference in millions in draft money. And considering the success percentages aren't in his favor...get it while you can.

As far as I am concerned...I don't fault any young kid for taking the money and running.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

caseya10781 said:
Why would he want to do this?

That eager for the big bucks or fear of injury in his senior year?

Casey

I'll go with Option # 3 - wanting to play professionally ASAP.

It should also be noted that Matt Harvey is considered to be the "best" player currently eligible for next year's draft. His signing bonus wouldn't hold a candle to Harper's if he does this.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008

This kid is going to be a beast. If he gets into the 2010 Draft, the Nats are going to have one of the most prized pitching prospect ever and a catching prospect with a great ceiling.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

thefasterblade said:
This kid is going to be a beast. If he gets into the 2010 Draft, the Nats are going to have one of the most prized pitching prospect ever and a catching prospect with a great ceiling.

Assuming the Nats finish dead last next year, which isn't a certainty by any means, especially if Strasburg is up, as well as Zimmermann and Detwiler. DC does have help on the way. And McGeary isn't that far behind, either.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008

Jaypers said:
thefasterblade said:

Assuming the Nats finish dead last next year, which isn't a certainty by any means, especially if Strasburg is up, as well as Zimmermann and Detwiler. DC does have help on the way. And McGeary isn't that far behind, either.

They're 1-10.

I still think the Padres are a worse team, but 2010 pick just seems destined for DC.

I miss the Expos.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

thefasterblade said:
They're 1-10.

I still think the Padres are a worse team, but 2010 pick just seems destined for DC.

I miss the Expos.

This year.

Next year, I'd be surprised if they repeat.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008

Jaypers said:
thefasterblade said:
They're 1-10.

I miss the Expos.

This year.

Next year, I'd be surprised if they repeat.

Well, if he gets his GED and enters the draft, they'd be getting Harper.

I don't think it will happen, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008

a cool person? Ive heard differently.
Ive heard he isn't liked all that much...being that he's too cocky.

he's rushing himself, he needs to sit back and just enjoy being young.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008

Bosox3 said:

He's 16 years old. I wouldn't really give a crap either way how he is at 16.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL

Seiya said:
So he's a good signer? Might go try and get some OMLB's today.

My friend got 6 OMLB's and 5 USA cards signed.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City

thefasterblade said:
Bosox3 said:

He's 16 years old. I wouldn't really give a crap either way how he is at 16.

He's 16. Isn't the point of being 16 learning from mistakes? I'm sure Bosox was never a ****** at a young age or even now. So you've heard he's something and you've never experienced it. Why not let him be 16? The average 16 year old doesn't have conversations about them on a message board.

Members online

Latest posts