Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mock Draft (as of 4/17)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
wow, didn't realize washington not only has the top pick but #10 from last year....

not sure what happened from the top of my head as to why crow didn't sign last year but if for some chance he's available at #10, would washington try again, jp?

dave

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
daveyou said:
wow, didn't realize washington not only has the top pick but #10 from last year....

not sure what happened from the top of my head as to why crow didn't sign last year but if for some chance he's available at #10, would washington try again, jp?

dave

Hard to say at this point, as the Indy's don't begin until next month, where he'll be playing.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
soccerman034 said:
No Austin Maddox in the first round? Dang....

Yeah, I found that a bit odd as well, but if he falls beyond the sandwich round I'll be very surprised.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
thefasterblade said:
Hows Crow doing right now?

As I said, he doesn't start pitching until next month, when the Independent League games begin.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
I first thought Bailey might go to the Braves, but they might not want another catcher(that would be a waste to use him at 1st base). Reading BA today, it seems Zach Wheeler is shooting up the boards so he might go there. Tate could also go to them if he lasts that long.

I also doubt Borchering lasts to the Red Sox's.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
DAck as the #2?

Interesting.

I'd love to see where they have the Stock brothers getting picked...and who gets nabbed first.

ryanhoward06

Aug 7, 2008
soccerman034 said:

I really doubt he goes in the first round. Stassi and Bailey are certainly ahead of him and Will Meyers is close. Probably back of the first supplemental round or early second.

justwar

Aug 7, 2008
Would love to see Givens go to the yanks (for flipping purposes), and the potential of Purke and Porcello together for the Tigers is intriguing as a fan.

givensaflacauto.jpg

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ryanhoward06 said:
soccerman034 said:

I really doubt he goes in the first round. Stassi and Bailey are certainly ahead of him and Will Meyers is close. Probably back of the first supplemental round or early second.

From today's Ask BA:

High school catching seems to be one of the strengths of this year's draft. How would you rank the top three standouts: Luke Bailey (Troup HS, LaGrange, Ga.), Austin Maddox (Eagle's View Academy, Jacksonville) and Max Stassi (Yuba City, Calif., HS)? Which of the three has the highest offensive potential, the best defense and the most polish? Do all three project to stay behind the plate at this point and how high could you see them going in the draft? I'm particularly interested if my favorite team, the Athletics, could pop one of them with the 13th overall pick?

Dan Thompson
Bristol, England

Prep catchers, along with college pitchers, are the obvious strength of the 2009 draft. Let's add Wil Myers (Wesleyan Christian Academy, High Point, N.C.) to the discussion, and that will give us four high school backstops who could go off the board before the second round.

I'd rate them in this order: Bailey, Stassi, Myers and Maddox. Bailey and Stassi both look like first-rounders, while Myers and Maddox are more sandwich picks. Bailey could go as high as No. 13, but that seems a little high to me at this point. The A's haven't taken a high schooler in the first round since they took Jeremy Bonderman 26th overall in 2001, and they haven't popped a prep position player in the first round since selecting Eric Chavez at No. 10 in 1996.

All four of them have the defensive ability to stay behind the plate in pro ball. From a tools standpoint, Stassi has the best bat and most refined defensive ability, while Maddox owns the best pure power and arm strength. Stassi is also the most polished, and I was impressed watching him during the Under Armour All-American Game last August. Rather that try to jack pitches out of Wrigley Field, he focused on using the entire field during a very disciplined batting-practice session.

Bailey has the best all-around tools of the four catchers. He has the best chance to hit for power and average, and he also has a plus arm to go with solid receiving skills. He runs the best of these backstops, too. Myers is the most raw of this group, but he has plus power and arm strength.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
I own Purke in my fantasy league. The Tigers would seem to be perfect for him. They like strong young arms and they don't mind being overly aggressive with them. I'd enjoy it.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
pujolsjunkie said:
I own Purke in my fantasy league. The Tigers would seem to be perfect for him. They like strong young arms and they don't mind being overly aggressive with them. I'd enjoy it.
You own a high school kid in your fantasy league?

That's some bold projection.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Anyone else notice that the Mock Draft has the M's taking yet another reliever @ # 27? :lol:

Brett Keith will get a kick out of that one.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
I can't wait for the draft. I still have my prize from last year.

brackmanpatchauto.jpg

As far as the mock draft goes. I would like for the Giants to draft a position player but if Ackley, Tate and Green are off the board I wouldn't be upset if they took a pitcher. I can't see them passing up on Matt Purke for a more polished college arm that doesn't have as high a ceiling.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
johnny rook said:
I can't wait for the draft. I still have my prize from last year.

brackmanpatchauto.jpg

Trust me, this year's prizes will make that pale in comparison.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Stassi may be ranked higher than Maddox, but for card purposes, I would stay far far far away. Stassi has very little power, and his current going rate is unsustainable, probably due to his BA ranking.

Edit:

It's great to see Gibson launched into the top 10. I firmly believe he is the second best college arm, and has the most prejection out of any college arm.

Members online

Latest posts