Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Elijah Dukes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
Jeff N. said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4085478

1) He was PAID $500 to do a charity event?

2) Is THIS GUY the guy you want around ANY kids?

1. People regularly are gifted money for doing charity events.

2. Is this a guy you want around your adult daughter?

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
justinmandawg said:
Jeff N. said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4085478

1) He was PAID $500 to do a charity event?

2) Is THIS GUY the guy you want around ANY kids?

1. People regularly are gifted money for doing charity events.

2. Is this a guy you want around your adult daughter?

As someone who is on a board of directors for a relatively large little league, I would never consider paying an athlete to show up and sign autographs and speak for a minute. This is called "giving back to the community", and when you make as much as he does, it's expected to be done for free.

While I respect the LL, if Dukes has a hair on his balls, he'd write a check to the LL for at least $1001 - -the $500 he got, plus the $501 they paid.

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
This thread is harsh. He was late because he was working a charity event not sponsored by the team. The charity felt bad because they caused him to be late and is willing to pay the $500.00 fine.

I see no difference having him around my kids than having Cole Hamels around my kids.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Honestly, I don't see the need to trash the guy for working with the community. Non-profits sometimes pay a fee for players/celebs to talk to kids and sign autos. The guy was doing the right thing, which made him late, but has to be made an example.

I should add, he handled it like someone who shows change from their past behaviors. Wouldn't one expect him to go all Milton Bradley and have a temper tantrum? Well, he dealt with the situation with class and it should be respected as making positive changes.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
thefasterblade said:
This thread is harsh. He was late because he was working a charity event not sponsored by the team. The charity felt bad because they caused him to be late and is willing to pay the $500.00 fine.

I see no difference having him around my kids than having Cole Hamels around my kids.

Cole Hamels didn't send a text of a gun to his baby momma and threaten to kill her.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

Cole Hamels didn't send a text of a gun to his baby momma and threaten to kill her.

but hes holding one in a pic in your sig, go figure lol

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

Doesn't mean he is going to kill my kids.

Cole has guns too right?

If this was Shane Victorino, you wouldn't blink an eye.

I don't support this thread.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

So, that makes him marked for life as a bad guy who will never be different?

Dukes got a second chance to turn himself around and it all starts with the first step. It seems a bit harsh to judge him for trying to do positive things and change his ways.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
thefasterblade said:
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

Doesn't mean he is going to kill my kids.

Cole has guns too right?

If this was Shane Victorino, you wouldn't blink an eye.

I don't support this thread.

No, if it was Shane Victorino, I would think even worse of him. Dukes is already scum. I don't believe that an athlete should be paid for appearing at a charity event such as a little league.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

Dukes got a second chance to turn himself around and it all starts with the first step. It seems a bit harsh to judge him for trying to do positive things and change his ways.

Positive things does not include taking money that could be spent on field maintenance, upgraded facilities, uniforms, or clinics and taking it for himself.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

You say that like it's a bad thing.....

You Dead Dawg!

js0000001

Oct 1, 2008
Duke's Had a VERY bad childhood from which he has battled to succeed at his profession.

I respect that

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
thefasterblade said:

How many second chances are we supposed to give this guy? From what I understand, its not like he beat his lady once and that was it. This guy has a history of this. Second chances are great, but how many chances does he get? Most people get "rehabilitated" in prison for doing things like this, some guys get a chance to show up late for their major league baseball game after leaving a paid appearance.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":3o0uzhnj]
thefasterblade said:

Positive things does not include taking money that could be spent on field maintenance, upgraded facilities, uniforms, or clinics and taking it for himself.[/quote:3o0uzhnj]

You seem so focused on the money. It was offered to him, he accepted it. I doubt he would demand $500 to make an appearance.

Lets say Cole Hamels came to your son's little league for an appearance and was going to be given $500 to do so. Cole has no track record like Dukes.

Do you feel the same way?

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":2reces7f]
thefasterblade said:

Positive things does not include taking money that could be spent on field maintenance, upgraded facilities, uniforms, or clinics and taking it for himself.

You seem so focused on the money. It was offered to him, he accepted it. I doubt he would demand $500 to make an appearance.

Lets say Cole Hamels came to your son's little league for an appearance and was going to be given $500 to do so. Cole has no track record like Dukes.

Do you feel the same way?[/quote:2reces7f]

The 500 dollars they paid him to show up was an investment, I'm sure they made alot of money they may not have made if he hadnt been there. Of course, those who dont believe in the idea a person can change will blindly go forward with their argument.

Dukes handled this situation with class and thats a step in the right direction...

WJCIII

Dec 30, 2008
NECpilgrims8 said:
Jeff N. said:
NECpilgrims8 said:
[quote="Jeff N.":26npcmjo]
thefasterblade said:

Do you feel the same way?[/quote:26npcmjo]

Why would he feel the same way? Dukes' history is clearly the issue, which is the way it should be. I don't want my family around somebody like Dukes, and I'd feel the same way if Hamels, Victorino, or Jesus Christ himself had a background like Dukes has.

Tom Oates

Sep 15, 2008
thefasterblade said:

He wasn't doing charity work. He was doing a paid appearance and was late to his real job. He deserved the fine but it should have been larger. Honestly $500 to a person collecting a MLB salary doesn't send a message.