Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1953 Bowman Color- entire set scanned !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Well some of you know I recently picked-up the final two cards to finish my set, a couple of guys named Berra and Mantle (oops edited Mays). ;)

The rest of my set had been stored away for 5+ years as I did not think I would ever pick up those last two cards. I retrieved the set a couple of weeks ago and started scanning last night. I only had the energy to scan the 5 graded cards that I have, so figured I'd show these off now. It will be a work in progress to scan the other 150+ cards. I suspect the cards are all in the 4-7 range, might consider having them all graded some time down the road. Will post other scans over the coming weeks when I get them done. Enjoy.....

PSA53BowmanBerraBauerMantle.jpgPSA53BowmanFeller.jpgPSA53BowmanFox.jpg

PSA53BowmanMusial.jpgPSA53BowmanSnider.jpg

....and might as well throw these in here as well. ;) ;)

53BowmanBerra.jpg53BowmanMantle.jpg

minpin

Dec 27, 2008
Manhattan
Re: 1953 Bowman Color- my favorite set, hands down!

Congrats! Those look great....are you planning on slabbing the rest of the set? That's quite an accomplishment and I look forward to seeing the complete set scanned.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

minpin said:
Congrats! Those look great....are you planning on slabbing the rest of the set? That's quite an accomplishment and I look forward to seeing the complete set scanned.

Thank you minpin!

I suspect some day I would consider getting the rest slabbed but space is the real issue (and funding ;) ). I am in the process of having my HOFer 3x5 collection of autographs slabbed and they take up a lot more room than when in plastic sheets and a binder.

wideright

Aug 7, 2008

MaineMule said:
Well some of you know I recently picked-up the final two cards to finish my set, a couple of guys named Berra and Mays. ;)

Wasn't the Mantle the last card you picked up?

Needless to say, this is going to be a fun thread to watch you add scans to! Amazing set Scott!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

wideright said:
MaineMule said:
Well some of you know I recently picked-up the final two cards to finish my set, a couple of guys named Berra and edit Mantle. ;)

Wasn't the Mantle the last card you picked up?

Needless to say, this is going to be a fun thread to watch you add scans to! Amazing set Scott!

...in my exuberance to get this posted I confused Mantle for Mays. :? :? Yes, Mickey was the last card and me thinks I need to get it slabbed.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA

Congrats on completion! The '53 color set is absolutely amazing. Enos Slaughter's card is my favorite.

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

My favorite 1953 Bowman color card has to be the one with Pee Wee Reese! I love that card!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

Graymouse and jay1065- thanks for your posts.....I love all your vintage posts as well. Graymouse, I agree that the Pee Wee card is one of the neatest pics from the set. I'll have to get working on the scanning. I do like the pose of Enos as well. One regret is no Ted in the set..... :cry:

Graymouse

Sep 1, 2008

If my history is correct I think he was out fighting the Korean war at this time. Of course I could be wrong. Yeah it would have been nice to have a Ted in the set!

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Re: 1953 Bowman Color- my favorite set, hands down! updated 4/27

The photography in this set is by far the coolest of any. Somebody really had a good eye for the poses and action shots. Looks awesome Scott!! Keep 'em coming! :cool:

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

wideright said:
The photography in this set is by far the coolest of any. Somebody really had a good eye for the poses and action shots. Looks awesome Scott!! Keep 'em coming! :cool:

I agree that the pics are amazing and that the backgrounds are typically gorgeous in this set. The Yankee Stadium facade or some other distant grandstand really paint a picture in time........

Plan is to plug away this weekend and get a few more done (along with some other random scanning)......

Thanks for the looksie Dave..... :D

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA

Love it! Great set to have completed. That Minoso looks like he was posed at a high dollar photography place. The Reece is also a very cool card. All of them are great from that set. Definitely a keeper!
DANNY

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......

Got a few more scanned last weekend........here are the noteworthy names (ie. HOFers).....

[center:27axeina]Irvin/Durocher
53Bowman51Irvin.jpg53Bowman55Durocher.jpg

Boudreau/Kell
53Bowman57Boudreau.jpg53Bowman61Kell.jpg

Roberts/Kiner
53Bowman65Roberts.jpg53Bowman80Kiner.jpg[/center:27axeina]

I have over half the set scanned (set is 160 cards in all)- all items can be seen here- http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/ ... ?start=all

Thanks for looking......

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
Re: 1953 Bowman Color- my favorite set, hands down! updated 5/19

Looking great, Scott!! Are you going to scan the backs too?? :D I'm sure you probably didn't plan to.

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Re: 1953 Bowman Color- my favorite set, hands down! updated 5/19

wideright said:
Looking great, Scott!! Are you going to scan the backs too?? :D I'm sure you probably didn't plan to.

...well, had not planned to do so, have barely found the time to get the fronts done ;) ....I have noticed that my relatively cheap scanner does leave marks on some of the pictures from this set. Oh well.......

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Re: 1953 Bowman Color- entire set scanned, finally (11/29) !!!!

Well, after a several month hiatus from scanning, I finally got the last of the 160 cards in this set scanned.

Entire set can be found here.....

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f289/ ... ?start=all

Here are the bigger names that I scanned....

[center:5u9v29eg]Slaughter/Hodges
53Bowman81Slaughter.jpg53Bowman92Hodges.jpg

MartinRizzuto/Mathews
53Bowman93MartinRizzuto.jpg53Bowman97Mathews.jpg

Schoendienst/Martin
53Bowman101Schoendienst.jpg53Bowman118Martin.jpg

Lopez/Wynn
53Bowman143Lopez.jpg53Bowman146Wynn.jpg

Ford
53Bowman153Ford.jpg[/center:5u9v29eg]

Thanks for looking.

rc4157

Aug 10, 2008
Re: 1953 Bowman Color- entire set scanned, finally (11/29) !!!!

Congrats on both completing the set and also getting them scanned, they look fantastic.

I don't know how I missed this when you first posted back in April but somehow it slipped by me.

That's quite the accomplishment.

RC

Members online

Latest posts