Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

I'm in the May Tuff Stuff Sports Collectors Monthly!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
As you can see by my avatar and user ID, I'm a huge fan of the 1969 New York Mets. I was at the 5th game of the 1969 WS as a 9 year old, and even got to run on the field after Cleon Jones caught the last out. I got a call one day from a reporter who was doing an article for Tuff Stuff magazine and he asked me if he could interview me for an upcoming article on the 69 Mets. He said he had Googled "1969 Mets collectors" and my name came up. He set up the telephone interview time and sure enough, he called, we talked for about 30-45 minutes, he thanked me and said I'd get a free copy of the issue. Last week a package shows up in my mailbox and inside is the issue with the article. The article is on pages 126-127, check it out! My wife drove to our LCS and bought all the copies they had in stock to send to relatives. It's pretty cool to see your name and be quoted several times in a national publication. By the way, I'm the Dave Boyens mentioned in the article, not the guy who sold the jersey to pay for his daughters wedding! Has anybody else had anything like this happen to them? If so, share your story! :D

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I had something similar happen to me, except for the part where they asked your permission to publish your stuff, and the part where they sent you a copy of the magazine, well, and the part where you're all happy about it.

RyanLarticle.jpg

I posted a thread on the BMB trying to get an answer, and they put my post in their magazine. At first I thought it was cool, until all of a sudden all these cards I needed started showing up on eBay for $150 instead of the $20-$40 I was picking them up for. I contacted a couple sellers telling them that I have a bunch, and I assured them they will never get $150. They said things like "I saw the article, I was hoping you would see my card! How about $120?"

AND THEN, not so long ago I picked up a Black that is #/10. So not only did the article totally screw me, they gave me false information to boot. Thanks Beckett, my your demise come soon. :p

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
My experience was nothing like your Beckett incident. Everything was very professional and I definitely won't suffer when it comes to what I collect. I think Beckett's stock has fallen dramatically since the auction website's have come along. I know I prefer to use a completed listing price as a true value of somethings worth as opposed to a periodical where the information is a month to a month and a half old. I admit, I haven't picked up an issue of Tuff Stuff in years, but it was cool to see excerpts of my conversation in it.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Be8el0ve said:
I came out in Beckett Sports Card Monthly's June, 2008 Issue and Beckett Baseball's June/July, 2008 Issue...

WOW, awesome Jeter collection! I'm starting a David Wright collection with a 2007 Topps Sterling 3 relic/auto piece I picked up on ebay.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
69MetsFan said:
Has anybody else had anything like this happen to them? If so, share your story! :D

I think a lot of members here were quoted or had their collections in Beckett when they regularly mined the board for magazine content. I was quoted a few times and had a few scans from my set put in the mag.

uddecades_in_beckett.jpg

Utleyfan1

Aug 7, 2008
ru4scuba said:
69MetsFan said:
Has anybody else had anything like this happen to them? If so, share your story! :D

I think a lot of members here were quoted or had their collections in Beckett when they regularly mined the board for magazine content. I was quoted a few times and had a few scans from my set put in the mag.

uddecades_in_beckett.jpg
Wow, before I joined any of the boards I was amazed by some of those sets. Never even crossed my mind that some of them might belong to people on the boards. Nice set! And to the OP Nice work, seems like they were pleasant to deal with.

Members online

Latest posts