Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

how long do you wait for a buyer to pay for the auction?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DSman

Aug 8, 2008
The auction finished last Thursday. I sent a second invoice after 3 days. Tonight will be 6 days. How long do I wait?

In my auction, I say I give them 72 hours, but that is more to push them to faster payment.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
eBay states the buyer has 7 days to pay before you can file a claim against them. I've always given 7 days in my auctions regardless, and only recently have had to file an NPB on 2 different sales because the buyer never paid or responded.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I send an invoice on the first day, the fifth day (which is when my auctions say payment is due by), and then on the 7th day. The first thing on the 8th day, I file NPB.

brumbach

I'm easy, I request payment within 2 weeks in my auctions and will allow up to a month if buyer communicates with me and we reach an agreement. However, you do say that you state 72 hours in your description, but I'd wait until 7 days to drop the hammer per eBay's guidelines.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
10 days is ample time in my mind but with people using Paypal more often than not there's really no excuse for someone taking that long.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I know I'm crazy but.............

I send an invoice the day of auction end.

I'll send a 2'nd invoice 2 weeks after that with a polite reminder.

1 month after auction I'll contact and ask if still interested.

After this I eithor get paid, or mutually cancel the bid/auction.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Whenever they want to pay. I have someone from March 25th who hasn't paid yet but has assured me they haven't forgotten.

With that said "immediately payment" is a beautiful thing :D

DSman

Aug 8, 2008
thanks for all the great thoughts. i will be patient a bit longer and maybe send another reminder at day 7.

i would feel much better if i had heard from the buyer, but i will be patient.

thanks!

DSman

Aug 8, 2008
Just clicked over to Ebay and someone just paid. Maybe a member of the board?!?
Thanks again for the advice to be patient.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
matfanofold said:

Not crazy, but it sounds to me like you don't rely on your ebay money like some sellers do.

I put in my auctions 3 days.

I send an invoice within a day from purchase with total.

On day 5 of no payment, I send a payment reminder.

On day 7 I send a second payment reminder.

On day 8, I start NPB process.

brokenliz1

Aug 7, 2008
matfanofold said:

Some people may not agree with this but I do.I send an invoice right away and then I won't make further contact until 14 days have passed if they haven't contacted/paid me.

OP glad you got paid!

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
I state in my auctions that the winning bidder has 7 days to make payment. On the 7th day I send another invoice. On the 10th day I send a reminder message through ebay and usually if I don't hear from them or receive payment within the next few days then I file the NPB.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I always give a buyer 7 days and then right after that, I will file a NPB on them. I state in my auction that they have 7 days to pay unless they contact me and then after that, I will fire a NPB. Per eBay rules, a buyer does have 7 days to pay, can't enforce it any earlier.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I send an invoice the 1st day and the 3rd day. If I still have not received payment by the 6th day I contact the buyer to let them know if payment is not received by day 7 I will be sending a NPB strike.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Do you know if he is paying via Paypal? If he is mailing in the payment,depending whether or not you allow that it may take 7 days to arrive with weekends and going out to get a Money/Order. I wait 10 days then start asking.

brumbach

Exposfan said:
Do you know if he is paying via Paypal? If he is mailing in the payment,depending whether or not you allow that it may take 7 days to arrive with weekends and going out to get a Money/Order. I wait 10 days then start asking.

Shouldn't be mailing it as paper payments can no longer be solicated by eBay sellers. Sellers can only request payment via Paypal or a handful of other electronic payment methods.

Exposfan

Mar 16, 2009
Hartland, WI
Just because the @$$holes at Ebay say no Money orders doesn't mean payment has to be made via Paypal- I dont solicit Money orders or overseas payments but I get them

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
I do not sell often, but I rarely send invoices when I do and file NPB after 30 days.

brumbach

Exposfan said:
Just because the @$$holes at Ebay say no Money orders doesn't mean payment has to be made via Paypal- I dont solicit Money orders or overseas payments but I get them

The OP made no mention of money orders or waiting for a payment to be mailed, expectation of a Paypal payment was implied. Since eBay's transition to the electronic-only format I too still accept paper payments but all of them are agreed upon before being sent. I have yet to recieve a payment out of the blue without the bidder extending the courtesy of asking if I accept checks or money orders beforehand.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts