Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What 90s insert sets have the highest BV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
Ok, I know
93 finest refractors and 98 donruss crusade...
are these the 2 highest priced and what are the others?

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
on this subject, Iconsider George to be as close to an authority as there can be

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Dan, thanks for the vote of confidence.

I will rank the set by value as I see them:

#1 1993 Finest Refractors...PSA registry has exploded the value of this set
#2 1996 Select Certified Mirror Golds...Print run of 30, commons are low but stars pull HUGE!
#3 1998 Crusade Reds...Print run 25 enough said
#4 1997 Finest Gold Die-Cut Embossed Refractors...1:1200 packs and Mostly Stars!
#5 Player collectors fancy....This guys are crazy (Jr, Frank, Nomo, Mac)
#6 1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold....Serial numbered to 30
#7 Any of the 1/1s, plates, Masterpiece etc...

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I disagree with placing the 1993 Finest refractors #1 in general though. I think they used to be particularly high BV but not as much anymore. There are a bunch of non-graded ones that didn't even sell for $24.99 in the completed auctions. Some of the biggest stars graded 10 might sell well ($500+) but a lot have made their way to market lately and haven't sold nearly as well as they used to.

I think the Crusade Reds have consistently sold for the most and would put them #1...but much of this activity is due to 2-3 big buyers of the set.

As mentioned above individual players continue to sell huge as long as they're rare - particularly Nomo!

Sometimes its tough to accurately gauge the real value of these sets simply because in many cases, there are a couple guys trying to corner the market - sometimes because they like the set and sometimes to try to drive up sales on their holdings.
- A lot of big Crusades have been listed in the past year by those who had been big collectors of the set for instance. Two or three guys had been heavily buying them for years.
- One guy has been buying Gold Embossed Refractors for years, paying $200+ for even the smaller names. His ID started with "member" followed by some numbers.
- George here has 10+ 1993 Finest refractor sets and a bunch of mirror sets!
-others

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I agree that when a Crusade Red pops up they sell well, however they are one of three cards from and insert set (green, purple, red). The 1996 Mirror Gold Nomo CS (the second in the set, not the primary card) recently sold for $1500+, the Red Crusade hit $1350. Since those have a low print run, 25 and 30 I would compare sells to 1993 refractor PSA10,

Richard is the name of the 1997 Embossed Refractor buyer, good friend.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
Yeah the Crusades are an insert divided into three sets. The Mirrors are a parallel divided into x sets depending on the year. I'm not sure how to compare PSA10s to low print runs, but I know the highest graded card doesn't make it a 1/1 :)

Does your friend Richard know how many Gold Embossed Refractor sets were produced? Also, how many sets does he have? I'm close to finishing mine. I bet your friend wasn't too pleased when Burbank listed a bunch of them a few months back.

George_Calfas said:
I agree that when a Crusade Red pops up they sell well, however they are one of three cards from and insert set (green, purple, red). The 1996 Mirror Gold Nomo CS (the second in the set, not the primary card) recently sold for $1500+, the Red Crusade hit $1350. Since those have a low print run, 25 and 30 I would compare sells to 1993 refractor PSA10,

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
uniquebaseballcards said:
Yeah the Crusades are an insert divided into three sets. The Mirrors are a parallel divided into x sets depending on the year. I'm not sure how to compare PSA10s to low print runs, but I know the highest graded card doesn't make it a 1/1 :)

Does your friend Richard know how many Gold Embossed Refractor sets were produced? Also, how many sets does he have? I'm close to finishing mine. I bet your friend wasn't too pleased when Burbank listed a bunch of them a few months back.

George_Calfas said:

My thoughts on comparing PSA10 1993 to Reds or Mirror golds is population, most cards now have PSA10s in population from 10-30 (two have 0 PSA10s). That balances the value (imo) due to print runs; 241ish-30-25.

I know the approx print run from the 1997s ;)
If you want to share your needs I might be able to help...plus I will reply with print run.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
hofautos said:
Ok, I know
93 finest refractors and 98 donruss crusade...
are these the 2 highest priced and what are the others?

Going strictly by "BV" is pretty straight-forward by comparing the guides and their listed prices, a list can be generated quickly.

But I suspect that's not what you were asking. (if it was - I apologize)

Rather: What 90's issues are most valuable/sought after and are also high priced ticked items based on experience & observation. (excluding individual cards like the UD Mantle/Griffey Dual Auto or 1/1s)

My opinion:

1993 Pinnacle Cooperstown Promos - Memories have long since faded in regards to the number issued. Tuff hunting if your player was among the selected.
1996 Select Certified Mirror Golds - Less than 30 issued. Insanely tuff, insofar as costs are considered.
1996 Studio Silver Press Proofs - 100 issued, but because this was a retail-only insert, availability swings wildly from easy-to-impossible to get.
1997 Pinnacle Totally Certified Platinum Gold - 30 issued. Long held in private collections, they rarely come up for auction.
1998 Donruss Crusade Reds - Everyone knows the deal with these guys. But Crusades in general were fairly daunting to bust.
1998 Donruss Preferred Precious Metals- 50 issued.
1998 Donruss Update Signature Previews - Crazy difficult, with a few players not even issued but finding their way to the hobby anyway. Did three cases worth of product trying to get one. <empty hands> Thank God my player wasn't selected for the Previews. <wiping sweat off brow> Jeter fans you have my sympathy.
1998 Flair Showcase Perfect 10 - 10 issued per player. Needle in a haystack the size of the Chrysler Building.
1998 UD Retro Quantum Leap - 50 issued, but so much of this product was unopened; left in their lunchboxes in "mint condition".
1999 Fleer Tradition Starting Nine - 9 issued per player/per card (some had several!) and almost never seen. Ridiculously priced when they do come up.

Honorable Mention:

1994 UD SP Red Holofoils (I cry whenever I think back to the Griffey and two(!) ARods I busted back then. Long since gone for pennies on the dollar back in the late 90's ---- hence the sobbing you hear. :-(...
1998 Donruss Elite Prime Numbers Die-Cuts

I excluded the following since they were never available to the open hobby community when they were printed:

1992 Donruss Diamond King Retail Supers
1995 Fleer Extra Bases Prototype Game Cards
1997 Topps Pro Shooters Checklist Cards
1998 Score All-Score Gold Variants
1998 Pinnacle Bankruptcy - any.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1997 Pacific Silver has a stated run of /67

Incredibly high BV (in comparison to sell price) but aren't much to look at. Sorry I don't have either of mine scanned to show.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
George_Calfas said:
Dan, thanks for the vote of confidence.

I will rank the set by value as I see them:

#1 1993 Finest Refractors...PSA registry has exploded the value of this set
#2 1996 Select Certified Mirror Golds...Print run of 30, commons are low but stars pull HUGE!
#3 1998 Crusade Reds...Print run 25 enough said
#4 1997 Finest Gold Die-Cut Embossed Refractors...1:1200 packs and Mostly Stars!

#6 1997 Totally Certified Platinum Gold....Serial numbered to 30
#7 Any of the 1/1s, plates, Masterpiece etc...

thanks...what is this
>>#5 Player collectors fancy....This guys are crazy (Jr, Frank, Nomo, Mac)