Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Should the Reds make Micah Owings a position player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickzcards

Sep 26, 2008
Sin City
Owings is a so-so pitcher but I think the Reds are missing out on a lot of potential offense should they ever make Owings a everyday position player ala Rick Ankiel. What are your thoughts?

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Rickzcards said:
Owings is a so-so pitcher but I think the Reds are missing out on a lot of potential offense should they ever make Owings a everyday position player ala Rick Ankiel. What are your thoughts?

Definitely give him an audition.

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
I think he's got some talent on the mound still, but it'd be silly to not at least give it a shot.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I think they should have him pitch relief and also play 1B some games, to get his bat in the lineup.

He had a good bat at Tulane w/ power and he has flashed it in the majors too. They have always talked about doing it, at least part-time, but noone has the cajones to make it happen.

Derriz

Aug 7, 2008
Can't really take Votto's bat out of the lineup right now. Owings ever worked on any positions in the past?

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Another possibility would be to have him pitch every 5th day and field a position a couple of the games in between, although the arm would definitely need some time to recuperate. 1st Base is the logical position because it requires the least amount of throwing, but Votto might just be their best hitter so unless one of them can play a different position, I just don't see it happening.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I've always found this very interesting. I always had the impression he was a slightly better hitter than pitcher, but I know the D-backs chose pitcher because they lacked depth in that area. I always thought he could succeed at hitting moreso than pitching, so it would be interesting to see what being an everyday position player would do for him.
That said, I still think his pitching is good enough that it shouldn't be considered yet.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Sam Banks said:
Ankiel is a God among men.

hgh.jpg

syringe2.jpg

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Too bad he's not in the AL and they could just DH him...They pinch hit him a ton though.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
Sam Banks said:
Jealous much?

I'm sorry the Astros suck donkeys.

Definitely not jealous. I'm not a Cards fan by any means but if the Astros aren't going to win it I'd much rather the Cards take the division ahead of the Cubs. That being said, the Cards have started hot but they aren't anywhere near as good as their record.

And Ankiel is hitting 230 w/ 2 bombs. Sounds like a god to me.

ee10

Aug 14, 2008
Mt Sterling, KY
I'd be really tempted to play him in LF & hit cleanup. He is the best right handed hitter on the team. Phillips is no cleanup hitter & Encarnacion is, well, Encarnacion.

Owings pitched well yesterday though & as a 5th starter, he's a good option (especially if they aren't going to give Homer a look). With Alonzo & Frazier on the verge of being MLB ready though, you'd have to think that the Reds are content with where he is at.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
ee10 said:
I'd be really tempted to play him in LF & hit cleanup. He is the best right handed hitter on the team. Phillips is no cleanup hitter & Encarnacion is, well, Encarnacion.

Owings pitched well yesterday though & as a 5th starter, he's a good option (especially if they aren't going to give Homer a look). With Alonzo & Frazier on the verge of being MLB ready though, you'd have to think that the Reds are content with where he is at.

How far away do you think Alonso is? He has been playing pretty well over the last 10 days but its only A+ ball

ee10

Aug 14, 2008
Mt Sterling, KY
I think a late season call up...I think they will see how he hits pitching late and then try and move Votto to LF during the offseason if all goes well. That's my hunch anyway.

Members online

Latest posts