Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

SHOWING OFF THE BRAND NEW PC AND EBAY RANT!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
EBAY RANT!!!
How many of you have been buying cards off of ebay that look good in the scan or are described as mint or nr/mint and you get the cards in and they have dinged corners or bad chipping on the back, etc. I have honestly just gotten sick of dealing with it, when I go to buy a card that looks nice I expect it to arrive looking as nice as it does in the scan, etc. I think a lot of people are just starting to crop the cards a bit, making it very hard to tell. Anyways, because of all the bad conditioned "NICE CARDS" I have gotten lately, I have decided to take my collection a different way..............

(I HAVE NOT TAKEN THE TIME TO RESCAN THESE--BUT I WILL SOON)
MichaelJordanFleerRCBGS85.jpg

PujolsBowmanChromeRCAUTO.jpg

SidneyCrosbySPxJerseyAUTOBGS9-1.jpg

JimThorpeJumboJerseyBGS9.jpg

KobeBryantChromeRCBGS9.jpg

PujolsBomwanRCAUTOBGS9.jpg

PujolsBowmanChromeOrangeREFBGS95.jpg

UnitasUpperDeckJerseyAUTOBGS9.jpg

AlexRodriguezSPBGS85.jpg

Griffey89UDRCBGS.jpg

PujolsDonrussSignatureAUTOBGS9.jpg

THEN I HAVE THESE WHICH I PLAN ON GETTING GRADED AT THE NATIONAL--ONLY ONES I HAVE THAT WILL GRADE A 9 OR BETTER--AT LEAST I THINK THEY WILL
HankAaronPOHGUAUTO.jpg

JimThomePremierBat.jpg

JordanMagicErvingTripleAuto.jpg

TigerWoodsJerseyAuto.jpg

WillieMaysBaseAuto.jpg

HankAaronLegendsAutoGOLD.jpg

DimmagioSweetSpotAuto.jpg

BabeRuthExquisiteTripleJersey.jpg

PujolsMLBlogoPatchAUTO.jpg

PujolsDonrussGameBall.jpg

KoufaxSweetSpotAuto.jpg

This is now all that I have. Everything else has been sold or is being sold off. I just cant get over how many flaws I was finding on the high end stuff I was picking up for my PC. I am guessing this stuff is coming out of packs this way or are collectors just not taking care of their cards anymore. I doubt all this stuff is getting damaged in the mail.....

Would like to hear what others think...

TK

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
What kind of flaws?

Unless i'm buying prospects or rookie cards, minor flaws dont bother me so much especially when I have no interest in ever selling/trading it. But you change up your PC about as much as............... Insert your favorite "as much" analogy here so condition may be imprtant in this case. Personally, i would never pay more for a graded non-rookie card unless it was of a prtcular player who I decided to collect like gilmo and his developing murphy collection.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
phillyfan0417 said:
What kind of flaws?

Unless i'm buying prospects or rookie cards, minor flaws dont bother me so much especially when I have no interest in ever selling/trading it. But you change up your PC about as much as............... Insert your favorite "as much" analogy here so condition may be imprtant in this case. Personally, i would never pay more for a graded non-rookie card unless it was of a prtcular player who I decided to collect like gilmo and his developing murphy collection.

just an example would be....recently purchased Adrian Peterson Donruss National Treasures Adrian Peterson RC Patch AUTO #d/99--scan looks ok, kind of tough to see, but card looks nice in a one touch. Get the card in and it looks like someone was using the top right corner of the card as a throwing star.....that was the 4th Peterson NT RC Patch AUTO I have bought on ebay that had bad dings.....I am sorry, but I just dont want to keep a card for myself that is all dinged up. So, I am going with graded now...plus the BGS Encapsulation is a VERY good way to protect the cards.

As an afterthought, the return policy/hassle of wanting to return cards is absolutely horrible. Not only do a lot of people not do returns, but I am responsible for shipping it back, etc. Much easier to just resell the card and take my chances. So, again, I am sticking with the graded stuff.

By the way, the PC has changed ALOT believe it or not.

TK

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
Ebay is huge dumping ground of not so mint cards. I agree on all the bad cropping shots you see. I stay away from many cards for that exact reason. Also amazing how many of these high end products the cards just come out of the packs dinged up. UD Exqusite brand is really bad. If you get a card with 2 nice corners your lucky. Why make them so thick if quality control goes right out the window.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
matchpenalty said:
Ebay is huge dumping ground of not so mint cards. I agree on all the bad cropping shots you see. I stay away from many cards for that exact reason. Also amazing how many of these high end products the cards just come out of the packs dinged up. UD Exqusite brand is really bad. If you get a card with 2 nice corners your lucky. Why make them so thick if quality control goes right out the window.

I agree with you...but I do think a lot of this happens after market. I see so many people cramming thick cards into skinny top loaders or just leaving everything in penny sleeves etc....

TK

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
phillyfan0417 said:
What kind of flaws?

just an example would be....recently purchased Adrian Peterson Donruss National Treasures Adrian Peterson RC Patch AUTO #d/99--scan looks ok, kind of tough to see, but card looks nice in a one touch. Get the card in and it looks like someone was using the top right corner of the card as a throwing star.....that was the 4th Peterson NT RC Patch AUTO I have bought on ebay that had bad dings.....I am sorry, but I just dont want to keep a card for myself that is all dinged up. So, I am going with graded now...plus the BGS Encapsulation is a VERY good way to protect the cards.

As an afterthought, the return policy/hassle of wanting to return cards is absolutely horrible. Not only do a lot of people not do returns, but I am responsible for shipping it back, etc. Much easier to just resell the card and take my chances. So, again, I am sticking with the graded stuff.

TK
Those are great cards. However, I think you need to lower your standards with cards like national treasures and exquisite. They are super thick, they have heavy, thick patches in them, and they are on-card, meaning that ridiculously thick card needs to get shipped to a player, signed, and then shipped back. I would be surprised if more than half of the national treasures RC auto patch print run is really NM-MT. The number of exquisite cases I've broken to find that half the cards have dings or chips is startling.
I know you don't like owning dinged cards, but if you are buying those sets, it should be expected.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
KandKCards said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:
phillyfan0417 said:
What kind of flaws?

TK
Those are great cards. However, I think you need to lower your standards with cards like national treasures and exquisite. They are super thick, they have heavy, thick patches in them, and they are on-card, meaning that ridiculously thick card needs to get shipped to a player, signed, and then shipped back. I would be surprised if more than half of the national treasures RC auto patch print run is really NM-MT. The number of exquisite cases I've broken to find that half the cards have dings or chips is startling.
I know you don't like owning dinged cards, but if you are buying those sets, it should be expected.

I agree with you on the cards being hard to find in mint, but I am not lowering my standards, lol. Those cards do exist in higher grades....the Ruth, Koufax, Dimaggio, and Thome Bat Barrel are all thicker than the National Treasures and just as thick as everything else and all of them are going to be at least BGS 9's......I am just done buying cards ungraded for the most part on Ebay.

I am ok at shows because I can see the card in my hands to know if it is good or not.

TK

KandKCards

Aug 8, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
KandKCards said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:
phillyfan0417 said:
What kind of flaws?

TK

I agree with you on the cards being hard to find in mint, but I am not lowering my standards, lol. Those cards do exist in higher grades....the Ruth, Koufax, Dimaggio, and Thome Bat Barrel are all thicker than the National Treasures and just as thick as everything else and all of them are going to be at least BGS 9's......I am just done buying cards ungraded for the most part on Ebay.

I am ok at shows because I can see the card in my hands to know if it is good or not.

TK
Yeah but keep in mind exquisites/NTs are sent to the player to sign, while I don't think that Ruth card was sent to him for him to sign :lol:
I know what you mean though. It's annoying to pull a sweet card and find that, through no fault of your own, it's already dinged up.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
KOBEARODLT said:
oooo niceeee, i have been looking for a regular bowman auto of pujols.

yeah, I am glad I picked up the Pujols stuff when I did....i dont mind sharing here is what I paid....

Chrome RC AUTO $2K
Donruss Sig RC AUTO $700
Bowman RC AUTO $430
MLB Logo Patch AUTO $600

I have already noticed that the Chrome Pujols RC AUTOs are creeping upwards as one BGS 9 just sold for $3K. Going to resubmit the Donruss Sig because it is the old label and I think I can get a 9.5 on it plus the AUTO should be a 10

TK

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
pujolsthomefan33 said:
KOBEARODLT said:
oooo niceeee, i have been looking for a regular bowman auto of pujols.

yeah, I am glad I picked up the Pujols stuff when I did....i dont mind sharing here is what I paid....

Chrome RC AUTO $2K
Donruss Sig RC AUTO $700
Bowman RC AUTO $430
MLB Logo Patch AUTO $600

I have already noticed that the Chrome Pujols RC AUTOs are creeping upwards as one BGS 9 just sold for $3K. Going to resubmit the Donruss Sig because it is the old label and I think I can get a 9.5 on it plus the AUTO should be a 10

TK

yeah that card looks clean and i like the ten auto by the side alot better, if you are ever interested in trading the pujols bowman auto though, let me know, i may have some stuff you like.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
KandKCards said:
pujolsthomefan33 said:
phillyfan0417 said:
What kind of flaws?

TK

Aren't Exquisite and National Treasure hand packed too? Hopefully it's not people packing them up with little regard for the cards condition.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Codasco07 said:
When did you buy that Pujols? I can't remember BGS 9s going for 2K for sometime. Was it on eBay?

It was actually $2026.00, but it was about 2-2 1/2 months ago right before the season started......yes it was on ebay.

TK

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
Codasco07 said:
wow, I never realized they were that low. I thought they bottomed at $2,500ish. I'm looking to get one as well.

yeah 2 have sold since, one for $2400 that was not a very nice one, and then another BGS 9/10 auto for $3K....so it looks like they have shot back up....i am guessing $4-$5K again by the end of the year if he keeps this up....

TK

Very nice stuff.

Yeah, I saw that Pujols BC auction- quite a nice card.

It's strange, the card that sold for $2,400 was the same exact card that sold a week earlier for $3,000- same BGS serial number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Bowman-Chr...s=66:2|65:16|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-Bowman-Chr...s=66:2|65:16|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

One was a BIN was a BO. I would love to see what one does on the open market now. I would think $2,200. I'm not sure if the card could get back up to $4,000 at the moment- the economy will probably have to improve for that. $3,000 is possible though.

The thing that strikes me is, last year he won the MVP, and the card's value continued to fall. That might suggest that this card is just not a $3,000+ card. Even as Pujols continues to live up to the hype, (as with our economy) that $4,500 price the card used to command was based much more on speculation than true value. (Doesn't mean I don't want one though! :lol: )

-Josh

Latest posts