Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

what will see next: pure steal of home or perfect game?

Which

• Perfect Game

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
After Jacoby's steal last night, it got me thinking- What will see happen sooner: a perfect game or another clean, pure steal of home (no squeeze, no double-steal)

keep in mind, I believe there have been 17 PG's and about 40-42 players that have stolen home, but most of these guys were back in the 20's-40's. Jacoby was the first since '94

vetsgt02

Oct 7, 2008
Trona, CA
I can not think of any current player that would get a green light for a steal at home without it being a double steal. With that being said I think a Perfect game is more likely. I doubt we will see either though to be honest.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
vetsgt02 said:
I can not think of any current player that would get a green light for a steal at home without it being a double steal. With that being said I think a Perfect game is more likely. I doubt we will see either though to be honest.
Both will happen again, probably within the next ten years.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
vetsgt02 said:

Surely one will happen sooner or later, I think. But yes, it could be years. There are 2,430 games played yearly; I would estimate that there have been well over 100,000-200,000 MLB games played, and only 17 of those ended in a PG, and only 40 or so had a steal of home. The percentage is so miniscule but history tends to repeat itself.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
J.O. said:
vetsgt02 said:

Surely one will happen sooner or later, I think. But yes, it could be years. There are 2,430 games played yearly; I would estimate that there have been well over 100,000-200,000 MLB games played, and only 17 of those ended in a PG, and only 40 or so had a steal of home. The percentage is so miniscule but history tends to repeat itself.
Ty Cobb did it over 50 times.
I think it has happened atleast 4 times since 2000.
Its really not as rare as people think.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
J.O. said:
vetsgt02 said:

Ty Cobb did it over 50 times.
I think it has happened atleast 4 times since 2000.
Its really not as rare as people think.

wrong..

"According to the April 26 edition of SportsCenter, ...it was the first steal of home plate with no squeeze attempt or other runners attempting to steal (a "pure" steal of home) since Billy Hatcher in 1994."

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
like i said too, these guys that did it multiple times were way back in the 20's-40's and who knows if they were clean steals. With a lefty batter too- that's insane.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
17ROCKIES12 said:
Sweeney did it in 2000 in Kansas City.

i trust ESPN more. Like I said, a clean steal meaning that player is the only one stealing, not a hit and run, batter doesn't swing, catcher tries to tag unsuccessfully.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
J.O. said:
17ROCKIES12 said:
Sweeney did it in 2000 in Kansas City.

i trust ESPN more. Like I said, a clean steal meaning that player is the only one stealing, not a hit and run, batter doesn't swing, catcher tries to tag unsuccessfully.
I was there. It was big news just like this.

edit
He became the fifth Royal in club history to record a straight steal of home and the first since Fred Patek versus Minnesota on June 18, 1977, with a stolen base off the New York Yankee's Andy Pettitte on August 14. His stolen base came on a 1-2 count with left-hander Aaron Guiel at the plate and gave the Royals a 2-1 lead, but KC lost the game 3-2 in 14 innings.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
ellsbury's was harder. it was a straight pitch. that was a pitchout to get the guy. pettite saw it happening there before he threw, while he obviously didn't see it until in the windup last night.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
Omar Vizquel stole home against the A's last season.

A perfect game is much more difficult to do. No contest really.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
J.O. said:
ellsbury's was harder. it was a straight pitch. that was a pitchout to get the guy. pettite saw it happening there before he threw, while he obviously didn't see it until in the windup last night.
That was still a "straight up" steal of home. He started running for the plate with no distractions or anything else going on.

Fits this description perfectly:
Clean steal meaning that player is the only one stealing, not a hit and run, batter doesn't swing, catcher tries to tag unsuccessfully.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
Ellsbury's was the first RED SOX straight steal of home since 1994 ... it happens much more often than once every 15 years, and WAY more often than perfect games, as others have pointed out.

IndyManning18

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
It could easily happen in Pettittes' next start. That is two that I know of against him.

The 1994 reference was for the last Red Sox player to do it, Billy Hatcher.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
Did anyone notice that he actually tripped to start the slide? ::facepalm::

Wonder what would have happened had he not tripped!

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
IndyMann said:
tonsofcommons said:
Did anyone notice that he actually tripped to start the slide? ::facepalm::

Wonder what would have happened had he not tripped!
Yeah, I saw that. Ellsbury is "All-Big Toes". :lol:
I love how Ellsbury said he felt as if he was running in slow motion

Members online

Latest posts