Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about Graham Harrell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
How did he not get drafted?I understand a lot of people do not think he will be all that super great in the NFL but jeez...Dallas goes and picks A&M's quarterback and they were non contenders.How does Harrell slip?

G

predatorkj said:
How did he not get drafted?I understand a lot of people do not think he will be all that super great in the NFL but jeez...Dallas goes and picks A&M's quarterback and they were non contenders.How does Harrell slip?

NFL is afraid of Spread Offense type QB's.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:

I know what a lot of people were saying but you would figure someone would give him the chance.I saw some QB's get drafted that I think should rate lower than Harrell.Rhett Bohmar, Josh Freeman, Magee(I think that's his name...fella from A&M).I also never heard jack about Chase Daniel.Was he trying to get drafted?Sorry if its old news but I haven't heard jack about him lately.

In any case when you look at what Harrell has accomplished and who his competition was...I'd say he was a safer pick than many people give him credit for.

G

predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:

I know what a lot of people were saying but you would figure someone would give him the chance.I saw some QB's get drafted that I think should rate lower than Harrell.Rhett Bohmar, Josh Freeman, Magee(I think that's his name...fella from A&M).I also never heard jack about Chase Daniel.Was he trying to get drafted?Sorry if its old news but I haven't heard jack about him lately.

In any case when you look at what Harrell has accomplished and who his competition was...I'd say he was a safer pick than many people give him credit for.

I thought he was pretty good.....I mean Crabtree didn't do it on his own.....Chase Daniels is the same case....spread offense.....NFL doesn't like these types of guys.....but I thought he sucked anyways.....too fat to be a QB in the NFL.....and short.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:

I thought he was pretty good.....I mean Crabtree didn't do it on his own.....Chase Daniels is the same case....spread offense.....NFL doesn't like these types of guys.....but I thought he sucked anyways.....too fat to be a QB in the NFL.....and short.

I agree that Crabtree was only half the equation and I think a lot of people feel that Crabtree actually carried Harrell but I don't believe it.I watched them plenty enough to know better.Its best compared to breakfast ceral.The ceral is good but its nothing without the milk.

As for Daniels...yeah...I was just wondering.I didn't know if he declared for the draft or what his plans were.I do agree he probably wouldn't make much of an NFL QB but I did think he would at least give it a shot.

G

predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:

I agree that Crabtree was only half the equation and I think a lot of people feel that Crabtree actually carried Harrell but I don't believe it.I watched them plenty enough to know better.Its best compared to breakfast ceral.The ceral is good but its nothing without the milk.

As for Daniels...yeah...I was just wondering.I didn't know if he declared for the draft or what his plans were.I do agree he probably wouldn't make much of an NFL QB but I did think he would at least give it a shot.

both have signed as undrafted free agents......Harrell with the Browns and Daniels with the Redskins.

sffanmike25

Aug 21, 2008
Dallas, TX
Aside from the general concern about QB's in "air raid" spread offenses, which have been mentioned already, Harrell did nothing but reinforce those stereotypes and weaknesses in his pro workouts. Starting with his Senior Bowl performance, he wasn't throwing the ball through his targets. Instead, he short-armed many of the throws, or just didn't lead his receiver very well on routes.

Most of Harrell's college accomplishments had him actually higher above where usually spread QB's end up, but the pro workouts didn't keep that momentum. I think he's mentally capable of running an elaborate pro offense, I just think he needs to build more arm strength and possibility alter his mechanics a bit.

Not being drafted, he doesn't have a ton of margin for error at this point. Maybe once he gets back in a practice/game style of situation in a few months, he'll find his stride again.

Ryo1549

Aug 17, 2008
Round Rock, TX
I think the biggest issue was when he was under pressure he flat out sucked. He didnt get messed with a lot this year except for the two games that stand out in my mind. Oklahoma and Ole Miss. These two they were all over him and he didn't handle it very well. Plus his senior bowl performance didn't help.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Ryo1549 said:
I think the biggest issue was when he was under pressure he flat out sucked. He didnt get messed with a lot this year except for the two games that stand out in my mind. Oklahoma and Ole Miss. These two they were all over him and he didn't handle it very well. Plus his senior bowl performance didn't help.

Well he came through pretty big against Texas.And that is saying something.As far as OU goes...I think that was just one of those days where he couldn't get going.You see that with a lot of QB's.It doesn't mean they suck.It means they had a bad day.Granted you can't have too many of those if you want to be noticed but you get the point.

And thanks for the info about who they signed with.I didn't know they had already signed outside of the draft.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Harrell can't throw with guys running at him is his biggest problem, he had a GREAT O-line but when they lost it was because of pressure on the QB and him not being accurate because of it.

G

predatorkj said:
Ryo1549 said:

Well he came through pretty big against Texas.And that is saying something.As far as OU goes...I think that was just one of those days where he couldn't get going.You see that with a lot of QB's.It doesn't mean they suck.It means they had a bad day.Granted you can't have too many of those if you want to be noticed but you get the point.

And thanks for the info about who they signed with.I didn't know they had already signed outside of the draft.

Texas Tech was riding the in state rivalry emotional wave.....that and Texas clearly under estimated their opponent.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
Ryo1549 said:

Texas Tech was riding the in state rivalry emotional wave.....that and Texas clearly under estimated their opponent.

So you think their record was bad?They do play in the Big 12.They did have a damn goods record.Most people who make these types of comments(not trying to single you out necessarily) usually have some bias for some reason or another.Me...I could care less either way as far as what people think of Texas Tech because I am not a Tech fan.But I have noticed a lot of people who discredit what they did and what UT did(again not singling you out ) usually have some sort of chip on their shoulder for some reason or other.

As for Texas...I don't think they underestimated their opponent.The Tech offense was chewing the UT defense up and spitting them out all game long.Even an underestimation can be quickly righted and the course of the game can be changed when you have such an explosive offense.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
aw00d05 said:
Harrell can't throw with guys running at him is his biggest problem, he had a GREAT O-line but when they lost it was because of pressure on the QB and him not being accurate because of it.

Name one good college QB this year who was good at throwing when he faced pressure other than Tebow?Even Colt and Bradford had problems as well as Sanchez and Stafford and I think we can all agree those were pretty much the top college QB's last year other than Tebow.Tebow is a whole different animal because he is a run threat and has the size(just like Vince Young did) to make the threat real.But a line makes or breaks the QB's ability no matter what.Sure the QB will get pressured in every game but how many times depends on your line.

Its one of the main reasons I never had a problem with David Carr.A lot of people felt he became gun shy but after watching all of his games...it was easy to tell our line sucked ass.No QB sets a record for most sacks in a season without some mega help from the line.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
predatorkj said:
aw00d05 said:

Name one good college QB this year who was good at throwing when he faced pressure other than Tebow?Even Colt and Bradford had problems as well as Sanchez and Stafford and I think we can all agree those were pretty much the top college QB's last year other than Tebow.Tebow is a whole different animal because he is a run threat and has the size(just like Vince Young did) to make the threat real.But a line makes or breaks the QB's ability no matter what.Sure the QB will get pressured in every game but how many times depends on your line.

Its one of the main reasons I never had a problem with David Carr.A lot of people felt he became gun shy but after watching all of his games...it was easy to tell our line sucked ass.No QB sets a record for most sacks in a season without some mega help from the line.
Mccoy had 561 rushing yards last year...He was a ton better at throwing with pressure than Harrell, all he needed on him was a lineman 2 feet farther back than normal and it was over for him...

G

predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
Ryo1549 said:

So you think their record was bad?They do play in the Big 12.They did have a damn goods record.Most people who make these types of comments(not trying to single you out necessarily) usually have some bias for some reason or another.Me...I could care less either way as far as what people think of Texas Tech because I am not a Tech fan.But I have noticed a lot of people who discredit what they did and what UT did(again not singling you out ) usually have some sort of chip on their shoulder for some reason or other.

As for Texas...I don't think they underestimated their opponent.The Tech offense was chewing the UT defense up and spitting them out all game long.Even an underestimation can be quickly righted and the course of the game can be changed when you have such an explosive offense.

I don't think their record was bad....and if it weren't for Crabtree making an unbelievable move to score with time running out......Texas would have won....if they played each other 10 times.....Texas would win 9.....just my opinion.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
Ryo1549 said:

I don't think their record was bad....and if it weren't for Crabtree making an unbelievable move to score with time running out......Texas would have won....if they played each other 10 times.....Texas would win 9.....just my opinion.

You ask me...I think OU, TT, and UT are all about as good as each other.That was a weird little merry go round with the big 12 but I guess that's just how it goes.

I also saw that McCoy was a little bit better under pressure but the point still stands any QB will buckle to some degree under pressure.

I don't know...I still can't see why some of the other guys were taken over some of the others.Some of the undrafted guys were really good passers and you would figure they could be fit into whatever type of offense you wanted to run.Sure there is some growing room there but that's with about 100% of QB's.

G

predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="Ryo1549":1l12sela]I think the biggest issue was when he was under pressure he flat out sucked. He didnt get messed with a lot this year except for the two games that stand out in my mind. Oklahoma and Ole Miss. These two they were all over him and he didn't handle it very well. Plus his senior bowl performance didn't help.

You ask me...I think OU, TT, and UT are all about as good as each other.That was a weird little merry go round with the big 12 but I guess that's just how it goes.

I also saw that McCoy was a little bit better under pressure but the point still stands any QB will buckle to some degree under pressure.

I don't know...I still can't see why some of the other guys were taken over some of the others.Some of the undrafted guys were really good passers and you would figure they could be fit into whatever type of offense you wanted to run.Sure there is some growing room there but that's with about 100% of QB's.[/quote:1l12sela]

Harrell yes....Daniels....NO....I thought Harrell would be drafted between the 4th and 6th......but so did lots of people.....not sure what the scouts saw or didn't see in him......but I think the better Big 12 QB's stayed another year (McCoy and Bradford).

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
trojanfan43 said:
predatorkj said:
[quote="Ryo1549":4en7wfdx]I think the biggest issue was when he was under pressure he flat out sucked. He didnt get messed with a lot this year except for the two games that stand out in my mind. Oklahoma and Ole Miss. These two they were all over him and he didn't handle it very well. Plus his senior bowl performance didn't help.

I don't know...I still can't see why some of the other guys were taken over some of the others.Some of the undrafted guys were really good passers and you would figure they could be fit into whatever type of offense you wanted to run.Sure there is some growing room there but that's with about 100% of QB's.[/quote:4en7wfdx]
I think the NFL suits Mcgee better because it's mostly under center and he's got a better arm than Harrell and is much more mobile (he had to be with that terrible line), that being said I think Harrell will more than likely be a better player if he gets the chance.

Latest posts