Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Several Changes Being Made to the Draft This Year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090428&content_id=4461822&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

As I suspected, it's being moved to the MLB Network. ::facepalm::

More changes are:

1) It will now take place over the course of three days instead of two:

Day 1: 1st-3rd rounds, including supp's.
Day 2: 4th-30th rounds
Day 3: 31st-50th rounds

2) On Day 1 (June 9th), it will kick off at 6pm EST instead of the customary 1pm.

3) The famous "Draft Tracker", found on MLB.com, won't start until Day 2.

See the link above for complete details.

docsilvey

Aug 22, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
It actually works better for me as I don't usually have reliable access to the internet during the work-day. Now I can get home and watch it after work. I feel bad for those without MLBtv access, but rest assured that BA will have intensive real-time coverage... and their coverage will be far better than MLB's, IMHO.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
docsilvey said:
It actually works better for me as I don't usually have reliable access to the internet during the work-day. Now I can get home and watch it after work. I feel bad for those without MLBtv access, but rest assured that BA will have intensive real-time coverage... and their coverage will be far better than MLB's, IMHO.

....assuming the site doesn't crash. It did for me last year.

Doc, you've got mail.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
justinmandawg said:
stupid stupid stupid stupid

+1 +1 +1 +1

Now I have no reason to call in sick that day as I usually do. :lol:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
thefasterblade said:
JP, I think you need to some how petition yourself to ESPN to become the 'Mel Kiper' of the MLB Draft.

No idea who that is.

Just checked with my cable company. It would cost me $200 extra to get the MLBN.

Um, no thanks.

I'm really bummed. I was hoping it would still be available on ESPN2.

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Jaypers said:
thefasterblade said:
JP, I think you need to some how petition yourself to ESPN to become the 'Mel Kiper' of the MLB Draft.

No idea who that is.

Just checked with my cable company. It would cost me $200 extra to get the MLBN.

Um, no thanks.

I'm really bummed. I was hoping it would still be available on ESPN2.

This is a really bad move by MLB. They were doing better with trying to make the draft a more main stream event like it is in the other major sports. Moving it to their own channel which doesn't have good market penetration yet is a huge step backwards.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Any sense in starting some sort of petition to at least be able to see the 1st round on MLB.com?

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
+1

More than 99%. Plus many of these guys will be switching teams over the course of their MiLB careers making the event even less exciting and useful if you will.

jdacunha said:
they want to market their product like the NFL. But 99% of the players are not MLB ready like NFL players are.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
ru4scuba said:
Jaypers said:
Any sense in starting some sort of petition to at least be able to see the 1st round on MLB.com?

I doubt it...

Fortunately a good friend of mine who lives near me does get the channel, so....

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
You don't know who Mel Kiper is? He is the NFL Draft 'Guru'. Spending more time and analysis on the NFL Draft than anyone else. He's basically ESPN's expert and hes made a damn good living off of it for over 20 years.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
thefasterblade said:
You don't know who Mel Kiper is? He is the NFL Draft 'Guru'. Spending more time and analysis on the NFL Draft than anyone else. He's basically ESPN's expert and hes made a damn good living off of it for over 20 years.

I don't follow the NFL anymore. Too expensive.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts