Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mariners- using catchers as first baseman?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
What the heck is going on here?

I mean, Seattle is winning now, but it doesn't mean they can escape criticism.

Their catching position goes deep in the organization- Johjima, Rob Johnson, Burke are with the big club, with Clement in AAA and Adam Moore in AA.

Last week, they use Burke, a 37 year old catcher as first baseman?

Then last night, they use Jeff Clement as first baseman for their triple A affiliate?

What the heck?

I mean, obviously, Seattle has given up on Clement as a catcher in the majors. Why keep five catchers around when they can't even find a stable first baseman? They have got to trade some of these guys to get a decent first bagger (though Branyan has been doing well lately), and free-up this logjam at the catching position and get some more pitching help.

I say free Jeff Clement, give him a realistic shot elsewhere at proving whether or not he can truly make it as an MLB catcher.

The Johjima contract renewal last year really, really screwed things up. :x

EmeraldRain

Aug 21, 2008
Seattle, WA.
I guess I don't really understand the issue you're trying to make here?

Branyan and Sweeney were both hurt at the same time, leaving no legitimate 1B on the roster, Burke was there 1 game, big deal. Jose Lopez has been there in 5 games this season.

As for having 5 catchers.. well, it's a required position so I don't see how having 1 on each level down to AA is a problem. I will say that having Burke up now is only because Johjima is hurt, otherwise we'd have Kenji and Rob only. I want to see Clement in Seattle as much as anyone else but in all reality he's not ready yet. He didn't exactly blow anyone away last year on offense or defense in 66 games. I've also heard they don't think his defense at catcher is where they'd like it and thus are trying him out at 1B, a position we have a need for and could get him to Seattle faster.

At the same time, he's actually gaining more by being in Tacoma, as he's getting regular playing time. If he were up in Seattle, he'd be playing backup behind Johnson as Burke is and not seeing much time on the field.

The Mariners just as any other club have drafted players at one position and then later converted them to another position.

I will agree with the extension to Johjima changing the way the club moved forward at the position but it is what it is. In the end I'm still not entirely sure it has changed it all that much though.

muchuckwagon

Oct 8, 2008
Deceased
brouthercard said:
The Johjima contract renewal last year really, really screwed things up. :x

I strongly believe that Johjima had a very negative influence on the development of King Felix. Forget the language issue, he was not a product of the "American" game/system and not that familiar with the hitters. An experienced catcher in the AL would have done wonders for the development of Felix. However, that is water under the bridge.

Members online

Latest posts