Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Interesting Observation on my EBAY Feedback--Anyone Else???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
I have seen numerous posts about Ebay feedback and who should leave it first and when it should be left etc. I have been trying to boost my ebay feedback up a bit more and have been listing quite a few auctions. Today I took some time to see why my feedback wasnt moving up as quick as I would like and I found that almost 30% of my buyers plain out were not leaving feedback.

SO, I came up with a simple email stating that I wanted to make sure the transaction was satisfactory and that they were happy with the card, etc. and find out why they havent left feedback.

I am not expecting feedback as soon as you get the card, and I dont always leave feedback the minute I get paid by someone. or vice-versa when I am the buyer, but I ALWAYS leave feedack. Sadly enough, I am not even getting much of a response to my emails. I am probably one of the few that actually kind of likes the new ebay feedback system, but it isnt going to work if no one will leave feedback. Whats worse is that about 15% (or half of the ones that didnt leave me feedback) now can not because the transaction is too old.

I hope this isnt a growing trend on ebay, because it is going to take me forever to get the feedback up at this rate. Anyone else noticing the same problems. Maybe we should all just get over the you have to leave feedback before me BS and just leave the feedback!!!!

TK

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I've started to even post in the feedback itself when I leave it to leave me feedback as well.

The things is though, I'm not too sure the # of transactions on Ebay matters after a certain point. I mean, while the difference between 5k and 10k are there, it probably wouldn't affect sales or anything for that matter, as long as the feedback % and DSRs are relatively high.

chuckbartowski

Jan 2, 2009
I haven't really run into that problem...seems like it happens every now and again.

I really hate getting emails reminding me to leave feedback...especially when I buy something, and the email is sent on the day I receive the item...I try to leave feedback 2 to 3 times a week

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
chuckbartowski said:
I haven't really run into that problem...seems like it happens every now and again.

I really hate getting emails reminding me to leave feedback...especially when I buy something, and the email is sent on the day I receive the item...I try to leave feedback 2 to 3 times a week

Agreed, but I am talking like 30+ days after the transaction......I too hate getting an email 2 days after the card is sent...

TK

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
coltsfan23 said:
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I've started to even post in the feedback itself when I leave it to leave me feedback as well.

The things is though, I'm not too sure the # of transactions on Ebay matters after a certain point. I mean, while the difference between 5k and 10k are there, it probably wouldn't affect sales or anything for that matter, as long as the feedback % and DSRs are relatively high.

I agree on the DSR's and the 5K-10K to a point, and the lack of people leaving feedback is not correlating to less $$$ amounts, but it is the point of getting to that 5K+ in feedback point, as a powerseller with an ebay store, it would be really nice to get there....but at this rate will take me about 10 years...

TK

DRav87

Aug 11, 2008
Wisconsin
I always leave feedback but I could care less if someone doesn't leave it for me. As long as I don't hear any complaints from them then I am fine.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
This is from MY perspective only.
Feedback is optional. Therefore it is my option to leave feedback or to not leave feedback, when to leave feedback, when not to leave feedback. For the most part, I do them in bunches, every couple of weeks. If anyone ever request that I leave feedback, I usually ignore them and do not leave feedback. It is just a pet peeve of mine.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Do you guys ever check your seller dashboard?

Because I have great feedback I get my listings bumped up in the searches. Which means I might sell some more, which means more money..

I know a few sellers who I mentioned this to and they had never checked it..

If you are a powerseller, then you can even get a % off your fees..

I used to sell alot and was a powerseller, but I don;t list as much anymore so I lost the % off my fees..

Good luck,

Here's what it says..

Your search standing is raised
Because of your excellent customer service, your listings may receive higher placement in search results when sorted by Best match. Continue to improve your buyer service to further increase the visibility of your listings.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
When I've sold, I only recieve feedback from 60-70% as well. Some people are just too lazy to leave feedback, so I don't bother to send email reminders.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't think people are lazy, its just that feedback doesn't matter much anymore. Paypal has replaced the "protection" feedback offers.

I buy from lots of sites but eBay I think is the only one that has a feedback system.

wolfmanalfredo said:
When I've sold, I only recieve feedback from 60-70% as well. Some people are just too lazy to leave feedback, so I don't bother to send email reminders.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Musial Collector said:
This is from MY perspective only.
Feedback is optional. Therefore it is my option to leave feedback or to not leave feedback, when to leave feedback, when not to leave feedback. For the most part, I do them in bunches, every couple of weeks. If anyone ever request that I leave feedback, I usually ignore them and do not leave feedback. It is just a pet peeve of mine.

This is pretty much how I get down as well. I don't intentionally NOT leave feedback when I get requests, but it does bug me. I just about NEVER leave feedback though if I haven't received any, and since it takes me a month to leave mine, sellers have plenty of time. Sometimes I'll leave feedback first when it was a particularly good transaction.

I think the best way to get feedback if you really are itching to get it, include a little handwritten note with the card you send out. "Thanks for the bid, I have left feedback and would appreciate it if you could do the same" or something to that effect. It works on me anyway...

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I feel that feedback should always be left. I don't care if it's the second you open it or a week later when you have the time. Regardless of if I'm the buyer or seller, I leave it whether I've received feedback from the other person. I don't message people if they don't leave feedback though, as I know that can be annoying. It takes all of 7.8 seconds to click Positive, write "Smooth transaction" or "Thanks", and pick 5 stars down the list (assuming all is well).

I don't have alot of feedback, so I want all of the positives I can get at this point. Once I have 100 or so, then I wouldn't really care as much. It's all about establishing myself as a trustworthy ebayer.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
My take on eBay feedback is like those feedback cards at a restaurant or hotel...people are much less likely to spend the time to leave positive feedback, than negative.

I'm terrible at leaving feedback...because I just don't care. I don't care if buyers leave it for me, or sellers...I just want the party to be happy. If they are...then I'm good.

Clearly that's not what eBay would like...but eBay is in the real world...and positive reinforcement is a lot more rare than negative.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I too get about 70% return on feedback. I would be willing to bet it's the norm. And although it's important, once you get over a hundred or so, and keep a quality rating, it really does not matter. Getting to that point, however, is sometimes frustrating when you only sell a few things here and there. I have sold about 300+ items and have around 250+/- feedback(s) left. 100% and all 4.9's and 5's. I tend to get at least CV if not a bit more than the going rate on all my sales.

Things I do to promote feedback(and ratings) are as follows:

1. Always put a quality auction together. A good scan of actual card, a good description, and a reasonable shipping fees.

2. Always use new card protection and bubble mailers.

3. Communication! I send a message of thanks with the initial invoice. Another when the card is sent, and another when the card has been delivered(tracking DC).

4. I include a typed letter of thanks inside the bubble mailer with the card. Thanking them for there purchace, a description of the card and auction number and a message that includes something like...

Please leave feedback when card arrives so I know everything has been met to your satisfaction...

5. Always ship next day(if possible). If it takes longer than 2 days to ship, I just will not list it. If something unexpected comes up then I always keep the buyer informed.

6. Always use DC and if sale is over $20, free insurance.

7. Never sell a card I would not want to recieve.

Doing all of this has kept me at 100% with very high ratings. Never once a complaint, never once a return or a unhappy customer. The bottom line is, the more you communicate, and provide quality service(s) (all around) to that customer, the better the likelyhood that you will recieve feeback, and positive feedback at that.

Latest posts