Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sacrifice Hits and Home Runs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Last night, Jose Molina became the first player since 1975 to record a sacrifice hit and a grand slam in the same inning since 1975, when Sal Bando did it: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 5070.shtml

Much like the Yankees win last night, the A's erupted for 9 runs in the 7th inning, having entered the inning trailing the Angels 1-0. Bando came to the plate with a runner on first in the bottom of the 7th. Matt Alexander pinch ran for Billy Williams, and stole 2nd base. Bando then advanced him to 3rd on a sacrifice. When Bando came to the plate again, the A's had scored 5 runs and the bases were loaded, which he promptly cleared with his grand slam.

Last night, Molina came to the plate with runners on 1st and 2nd and advanced both runners with his sacrifice. The Yankees scored 5 runs before Molina came to the plate again, this time with the bases loaded. Of course, you know the rest.

I found this rather interesting game from 1960: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 4220.shtml

In this game, Jim Davenport became the only man in MLB history to record 2 sacrifice hits and 2 home runs in the same game.

The last player with 2 sacrifice hits and a HR in a game: Alexi Casilla

The only 3 players with a sacrifice hit and 3 HRs in a game: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... areit/P2xQ

Bill Madlock and Willie Kirkland got their sacrifice hit AFTER hitting 3 HRs...you know they wanted to go for #4. Don Demeter's 3rd HR was a walk-off shot.

David

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Johan Santana 57 said:
where do you find all these crazy stats? Do you come up with them on your own or you find them somewhere? Some of these are mindboggling!

Baseball is so stats oriented that there is always something to investigate. When Molina had a sacrifice and a grand slam in the same inning, it seemed intriguing enough to delve into it a little deeper. On almost any given night in the regular season, something happens which doesn't happen very often. I just keep digging until I find something interesting, and hopefully others find it interesting as well. I spend a lot of time on baseball-reference.com using their play index, when I have some spare time. Sometimes, posts take me hours or days to put together.

David

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
leatherman said:
Johan Santana 57 said:
where do you find all these crazy stats? Do you come up with them on your own or you find them somewhere? Some of these are mindboggling!

Baseball is so stats oriented that there is always something to investigate. When Molina had a sacrifice and a grand slam in the same inning, it seemed intriguing enough to delve into it a little deeper. On almost any given night in the regular season, something happens which doesn't happen very often. I just keep digging until I find something interesting, and hopefully others find it interesting as well. I spend a lot of time on baseball-reference.com using their play index, when I have some spare time. Sometimes, posts take me hours or days to put together.

David

...keep 'em coming though. I love odd-ball stuff like this. Thanks David.....

Members online

Latest posts