Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Official - Nats Will Draft Strasburg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
He is going to sign on Aug.15 at 11:57 P.M. and pitch in the bigs by September. That is probably the most idiotic thing I have heard all day.

Craig - 21hawk

Aug 7, 2008
St. Paul, MN
thefasterblade said:
I read this yesterday. Made me think even less of him.

I don't think it's possible for me to think less of Bowden, but that article makes clear that being forced out certainly didn't open his eyes any.

Craig

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
strasberg.jpg

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Bosox3 said:
I say they pick him..but int he end..the deal wont be made.

You honestly think they'll fail to sign their 1st rounder two years in a row?

cowboysrule48

Aug 7, 2008
Orlando, FL
All In Cards said:
besides strasburg, is usa a good bust this year?

I haven't paid much attention to it at all.

Yes if you pull a Kyle Gibson letter and sell it to me!!!

But seriously, it looks pretty decent this year, I would bust a case if I could afford to.

Bruin7

Aug 7, 2008
FL
They have to. I watched part of their game last night and they are absolutely terrible! Any little bit that would help them win a game is a must opportunity.

Allen

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Here are Jim Callis' thoughts on Bowden's comments:

"If what Bowden is saying is true, it makes a lot of sense. Despite Strasburg’s demands and the less-than-stellar track record of pitchers selected No. 1 overall, the Nationals would be making a huge mistake if they don’t take him. And despite all the rumblings about that $50 million price tag, Strasburg and Boras don’t have the leverage to make that happen.

If Strasburg was a free agent, I don’t doubt that the bidding would escalate into that territory. But he’s not, and there’s no strategy that would make him one. If the Nationals offer Strasburg a big league deal in the neighborhood of $15 million or $20 million, and hold firm to that price, my guess is that Boras will wait them out until 11:59 on the night of the Aug. 15 deadline but Strasburg will accept it. There’s too much risk to turn down that kind of money, and if he did, he’d just re-enter the 2010 draft.

Maybe Boras will work some easily reached but not fully guaranteed roster bonuses into the deal, as he often does. Maybe it will be a six-year contract instead of the five-year pact most college pitchers have signed, which would add more guaranteed money. Just don’t expect Strasburg to quintuple Prior’s record."

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
He s not even pro and Boras is asking for 50 mil for this kid. Boras is a freaking cheat for God sakes. This is a clear cut example on how baseball is a business and not a game anymore.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
For some reason, the ex-gm doesn't seem official to me. I realize you kind of pointed that out..

We shall see. Especially since I have heard boras is floating the # of $60 million for him...

skrip

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Here's my WTF?! moment for the day:

"I never even went to the Dominican Republic, don't even have a passport," Bowden said.

You (were) the General Manager for a major league baseball team and you don't own a passport? Good God, that's irresponsible. I don't care if area scouts, assistant GMs or what not take care of all that stuff, you have to be ready to leave your effing country if need be.

"Jim, we think we can get star free agent Mitch Strikeout to sign with us. Just need you to come to his place here in Venezuela to seal the deal."

"Ah, sorry guys. Normally I'd love to. I just haven't quite got around to getting myself a passport."

No wonder he's such a doofus.

Members online

Latest posts