Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Chicagoans (or thereabouts) - are these shows worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Checked the ol' Beckett Show Calendar and it looks like there are two shows on Sunday, May 3rd near me. Anyone have any feedback about these (i.e. what type of stuff, entry fee, deals, etc.)? Wondering if it's worth my while to check them out. Any feedback greatly appreciated, thanks!

John

May 3 - Rolling Meadows Holiday Inn, 3405 Algonquin Rd, 9-2, 40T - Norb or Betty Kozlowski (847) 520-1980 [email protected]

May 3 - Schaumburg Radisson, 1725 Algonquin Rd,, 10-3, 40T - Fred Copp 847-967-7824 [email protected]

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
I went to both of those shows when I was living in Chicago a couple of years ago. Neither show is very big (maybe about 12-15 dealers at each) and I didn't think it was worth the drive.

chisox3706

Aug 15, 2008
nw indiana/chicagoland
ive never been to either one but if you live kinda close im sure it wouldnt be too bad to go even if there were only a few tables like the previous post advised...maybe get some good deals with some people wanting to sell stuff just to break even?!

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
chisox3706 said:
ive never been to either one but if you live kinda close im sure it wouldnt be too bad to go even if there were only a few tables like the previous post advised...maybe get some good deals with some people wanting to sell stuff just to break even?!

That's what I'm hoping. Considering I pretty much live on the border of Schaumburg and Rolling Meadows, I think I can handle the drive :lol:

In fact, I just mapquested it and I am exactly 2.39 miles and 1.58 miles from each of them, door to door, so I think it's a safe bet I'll check them out!

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
They both suck....

With that being said, I might be going. I haven't gotten out to any shows recently. The schaumburg one really blows....

skrip

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
ballerskrip said:
They both suck....

With that being said, I might be going. I haven't gotten out to any shows recently. The schaumburg one really blows....

skrip

Well, if you see the 6'5" blonde guy walking around, feel free to say hi. Did you get the Parker? Looks like he's been dealing so far this year...

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Just got back from these things. When the only shows you've ever gone to are the few hundred table White Plains shows, these two certainly leave something to be desired. However, admission was free and beggers can't be choosers! :D

I don't really understand why two hotels less than a mile down the street from one another host rival shows on the same weekend, but either way, I hit them both up. The Rolling Meadows show was ok, lots of cheap GU and Auto boxes but not too much for the prospector. For some reason I saw a surplus of Will Clark game used items. Picked up a few things, nothing huge. Schaumburg show at the Radisson was terrible - I actually felt guilty walking around knowing I wasn't going to be buying anything. Mostly older guys, and I heard a conversation about how the internet "wasn't fair to collector's who didn't want their identities stolen" :lol:

All in all, decent Sunday morning/afternoon. I was really hoping to pick up some 09 Finest Will Venable letters (doing the "Super Name") but didn't see any there. Here's what I picked up:

- 2000 SP Prospect Kevin Freeman Auto (Uconn uni for PC) - $2
- 2005 Donruss Champions Brian Jordan Patch /237 - $3
- 2007 Donruss Classics Chansi Stuckey Auto /499 (Jets PC) - $3
- 2004-05 Fleer E-XL Dwight Howard Jersey RC /500 - $5
- For $23 I got the following 92 Pro Line Portraits Auto's (always liked this set):
Isiah Thomas Auto, Sterling Sharpe Auto, Johnny Mitchell, Brian Washington,
and Jim Sweeney Auto's for the Jets PC

Nothing great, but a decent way to spend $36 I guess ::facepalm::

Members online

Latest posts