Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about buying with poll

Who should determine the sell value of a card

• Seller-It's his/her card, he/she should know what they need for the card

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
I guess this board is the best one for this question since it has to do with buying and selling..........

I have run into instances before when attempting to buy, the seller makes me state a buy price. I have also been on the other side where I have tried to sell a card, the buyer has insisted that i state how much I need for the card.

In some cases, I have seen the same person expect the buyer to state a price on a card, but when attempting to buy, expects the seller to state the price. Seems like a double standard to me.

My question then is, who should determine the sell value of a card? I have attempted to make this into a poll, hopefully it works.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
only 8 voters and no reasonings as to why? the only reason i point this out is that i KNOW some sellers make the buyers state the price. come on out of the woodwork..........if it stays this way, then obviously everyone is in agreement that the seller should state the price.

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
I didn't vote because as a buyer I hate to say a price, but as a seller I hate giving one. I just give a general price and let the buyer make a offer from there.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
blitzerlover-that sounds fair to me. my issue is with the sellers who demand the buyer state the price, but then refuse to state a price when the same seller is the buyer. LOL

***EDIT***

and those people know who they are. it is them that i am hoping responds......

No1CJCollector

Sep 26, 2008
I voted the buyer, because most times when I sell a card its usually one that doesnt book therefor the buyer should decide how much its worth to them or how much they want to spend. If it does book the seller should decide the price.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
Sellers pretty much should always name their price.

The only time I think where it's justified for sellers to ask buyers to name prices, is if it's for a really hard to get card from that person and/or it's very rare and there really is nothing to gauge it's value from.

In terms of prospecting, since it's so popular here, the asking buyers to name prices might occur more often on FCB more than other boards. That is because the potential of some prospect cards are much higher than current SV, along with especially now as the market is low, econ is suffering, the perceived value is higher than current market value shows.

timryan111

Aug 12, 2008
I don't mind giving a price either as the buyer or the seller. I always have an idea what I want out of a card and what I am willing to put into one. That being said, if I give a price either way I do expect some negotiating. Some people take cards way too seriously. I will not be offended if someone lowballs me with an offer if I asked for an offer. It does irritate me some when people can't come up with a price for their cards and then get upset if you make an offer. You hear this a lot "I don't have any idea what I want for it." So you make an offer of say $50 and they respond "I was thinking more like $100" So you did know what you want for it. Just tell me upfront when I ask.

rob167

Aug 7, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
thank you for the responses. i believe everyone's statements are valid. i am not trying to beat a dead horse, i just got tired of seeing the double standards going on (not necessarily with me).

i do like timryan111's quote "You hear this a lot "I don't have any idea what I want for it." So you make an offer of say $50 and they respond "I was thinking more like $100" So you did know what you want for it. Just tell me upfront when I ask."

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
I voted that the seller should make the price.

However as a buyer i always know what price im willing to spend, i just prefer the seller start the negotiations on price.

As someone who also sells. I usually have a price set that i will tell the buyer. Unless its a rarer card with no BV.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I say the seller makes the first attempt at pricing a card. Then you can negotiate it from there.

I am pretty flexible, but I hate being low-balled.. If you know a card is worth $50 don't offer $10.. your offer should at least be 50% of the value of the card offered to stay in the negotiating arena.

Members online