Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Breaking: EliteXC to close friday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
according to mmascoops.com
Sources have confirmed that ProElite, which is the parent company for EliteXC, will be closing its doors this Friday. Sources close to the situation verified that the employees for the struggling MMA company received word today that the company’s last day of work will be this Friday. During the company’s two years of business, it has been reported that they have lost nearly $60 Million, causing many to believe that, despite their valuable deal with CBS, it was only a matter of time before the ship sank.

Graciefighter.com, which is run by Caesar Gracie, the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu coach for ProElite fighters Nick Diaz and Jake Shields, posted the following message on their website, confirming the report:

"We are confirming that EliteXC has folded. What this means for our fans and supporters is that there will not be a Nick Diaz vs. Eddie Alvarez fight on November 8th. However Jake Shields in the UFC has now become a real possibility. We will be updating our site for future developments."

In ProElite’s attempt to be more competitive to the UFC’s stranglehold on MMA, they acquired a number of smaller MMA promotions, most notably King of the Cage and Cage Rage. Rumble on the Rock, the Hawaiian promotion owned by JD Penn, the older brother of UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn, had been leasing his promotion to ProElite. Our sources have confirmed that JD was laid off this afternoon as well.

EliteXC just held their third CBS promotion, “Heat,” last month, which turned out to be another primetime ratings success. However, on the event, the company’s golden boy and former street fighter, Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson, was knocked out by MMA journeyman Seth Petruzelli in 14 seconds. As he fell to the mat, it seems as though he took EliteXC’s hopes for a future with him as well.

Two days after the upset, Petruzelli went on a local Florida radio show stating that EliteXC management offered him more money if he made his fight against Kimbo strictly a stand up battle. The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation, which oversees the Florida State Boxing Commission, is currently investigating EliteXC regarding Petruzelli’s claims.

Word is that Petruzelli’s statements and the investigation were the final nails in ProElite’s coffin.

...seems this had alot more to do with Petruzelli's claims of them fixing the fights than anything else, seeing as they were 54 million in debt at the last Heat and were planning on showing more

(edited the post too to give you more info)

G

Re: breaking: elitexc to close friday

I think we all seen this coming from a mile away, even with the announcement of the Shamrock vs Shamrock fight.

They were WAY too far in debt to get out of after their golden ghetto goose got KO's by a virtual nobody.

Wonder what the contract situations are now. Are the fighters just free to go anywhere they want now?

I guess most will go to Affliction or Japan? Wonder what Carano's plans will be?

peaceandlove

Aug 7, 2008
Re: breaking: elitexc to close friday

i think what was nuts was how much they were paying fighters. Kimbo basically made $500,000 to lose and these numbers don't count the extra he was paid to take on Petruzelli on short notice. it also doesn't list bonuses or any other performance incentives paid to fighters. Arlovski also made $500,000. i also listed the pay from UFC 88. it's crazy to see how really Liddell was the only fighter to make near what the Elite top names made. That would be a BIG reason they went broke. you can't pay fighters that much until you are stable enough to be able to. Rich Franklin is one of the most underpaid fighters too according to this pay report. That's just sad compared to what Henderson, Liddell, and even Evans are making considering he is a former middleweight champ. Roy Nelson almost made as much losing with Elite as Rich did winning for the UFC.

Seth Petruzelli ($50,000/win bonus was $15,000) def. Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson ($500,000/win bonus would have been $100,000)

Jake Shields ($50,000/win bonus was $10,000) def. Paul Daley ($12,000)

Andre Arlovski ($500,000) def. Roy Nelson ($80,000)

Gina Carano ($25,000/win bonus was $10,000) def. Kelly Kobald-Gavin ($6,000)

Benji Radach ($30,000/win bonus was $15,000) def. Murilo Rua ($35,000)

Cristiane Santos ($8,000/win bonus was $4,000) def. Yoko Takahashi ($2,000)

ELITE XC “HEAT” DISCLOSED FIGHTER PAYROLL: $ 1,318,000

UFC 88:
Rashad Evans: $120,000($60,000 win bonus included) def.
Chuck Liddell: $500,000

Rich Franklin: $100,000($50,000 win bonus included) def.
Matt Hamill: $10,000

Dan Henderson: $250,000 ($150,000 win bonus included) def.
Rouismar Palhares: $7000

Nathan Marquardt: $56,000 ($28,000 win bonus included) def.
Martin Kampmann: $15,000

**** Hyun Kim: $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus included) def.
Matt Brown: $8000

Kurt Pellegrino: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus included) def.
Thiago Tavares: $13,000

Tim Boetsch: $16,000 ($8000 win bonus included) def.
Matt Patt: $5000

Jason MacDonald: $44,000 ($22,000 win bonus included) def.
Jason Lambert $17,000

Ryo Chonan: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus included) def.
Roan Carneiro: $9000

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'd really like to see Carano and Cyborg fight.

Being as mainstream as Gina now is, she will no doubt get a gig fighting somewhere. I'd like to say UFC, but, I dont think Dana and the Fertitta's are going to be putting women's fights on their card soon. Id love to see that, but, I dont think it will happen. It would be a draw no doubt, but, just dont think so.

Ty Hope

Aug 7, 2008
Affliction would be perfect for women's mma fights. If not, they could easily find fights in Shooto or Deep in Japan.

Members online

Latest posts