Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How would you rank the top 5 MLB pitchers of all-time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I am a little old fashioned when it comes to this, but I will take a stab at it.

1. Cy Young 511 wins
2. Walter Johnson 417 Wins 119 CG shutouts
3. Christey Mathewson 12 Straight 22 Win Seasons
4. Nolan Ryan 5,714 K's 7 No-No's
5. Greg Maddux? 355 Wins and best pitcher in the steroid era.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Nolan Ryan has no business on this list. By far the most overrated pitcher. Was he great, yes, was he top 5 certainly not

jbone17 said:
I am a little old fashioned when it comes to this, but I will take a stab at it.

1. Cy Young 511 wins
2. Walter Johnson 417 Wins 119 CG shutouts
3. Christey Mathewson 12 Straight 22 Win Seasons
4. Nolan Ryan 5,714 K's 7 No-No's
5. Greg Maddux? 355 Wins and best pitcher in the steroid era.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Seeing there is no possible way to really compare pitchers from the last 40-50 years against thoes before them, I'll just rank my top 5 from 1950 and after.

1. Steve Carlton
2. Roger Clemens
3. Sandy Koufax
4. Greg Maddux
5. Nolan Ryan

Honorable mentions to..

Tom Seaver
Randy Johnson

Damn, i know I am missing a bunch and could probablly re-write my top 5 tomorrow..

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Any man that can throw 7 No-No's is top 5 lol. Has anyone else accomplished that feat? Yes, his 324-293 is a little bad, but he had absolutely no offense. How many one run games did Ryan lose in his career? He is top 5 man, no doubt.

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
jbone17 said:
Yeah, pretty good list. I have to ask though lol, no Cy Young?

Nope.
One of the greatest early pitches and all time wins record holder etc.

Ranks 1st in losses
Only lead the league in ERA twice in his career. 18th all time
Only lead the league in strike outs only twice and ranks 20th all time.
Career winning % is .618 72nd All time.

He's in my top 10 but not in my top 5.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
GV- Nice facts man. I know about his .618 winning % , but I still think he was the best given that he has 94 wins over Johnson.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Oh, and say what you will about Nolan Ryan, but he was one of the best ever to play the game. Forget about his 5700+ K's, forget about his mind numbing 7 no hitters, forget about his 324 wins, forget about his lifetimg (27 season) 3.19 era, forget about his 8 all star appearances, forget about his highly productine 27 year carear, forget that he led the league in K's 12 times, forget that the guy threw 61 shut outs, forget the guy was in the top 5 for CY 6 times, forget all that and just remember he did it all on a bunch of worthless teams.

Nolan Ryan was as good as any pitcher to ever play the game. If only he ever had some support, he would have won 500 games and 10 CY awards. THe fact he was able to pitch productivly for 27 years puts him on the all time list, add the stats and context in which they were accumulated, and only a moron would argue his greatness.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Sure he lost his share of 1-0 games, but his career ERA was 3.19. Players like Gibson, Seaver and even Jim Palmer had a much better ERA then him. Not saying Palmer was better but feel Gibson and Seaver were

jbone17 said:
Any man that can throw 7 No-No's is top 5 lol. Has anyone else accomplished that feat? Yes, his 324-293 is a little bad, but he had absolutely no offense. How many one run games did Ryan lose in his career? He is top 5 man, no doubt.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Oh, and say what you will about Nolan Ryan, but he was one of the best ever to play the game. Forget about his 5700+ K's, forget about his mind numbing 7 no hitters, forget about his 324 wins, forget about his lifetimg (27 season) 3.19 era, forget about his 8 all star appearances, forget about his highly productine 27 year carear, forget that he led the league in K's 12 times, forget that the guy threw 61 shut outs, forget the guy was in the top 5 for CY 6 times, forget all that and just remember he did it all on a bunch of worthless teams.

Nolan Ryan was as good as any pitcher to ever play the game. If only he ever had some support, he would have won 500 games and 10 CY awards. THe fact he was able to pitch productivly for 27 years puts him on the all time list, add the stats and context in which they were accumulated, and only a moron would argue his greatness.

Thank you my good man! Also, Seaver was good, but top 10 for me as there were greater pitchers than him. He was good no doubt.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
No one is saying he is one of the best ever, just not a Top 5 at his position.

matfanofold said:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
Sure he lost his share of 1-0 games, but his career ERA was 3.19. Players like Gibson, Seaver and even Jim Palmer had a much better ERA then him. Not saying Palmer was better but feel Gibson and Seaver were

jbone17 said:

Thats a 3.19 over 27 years my man! Also, when did he ever pitch for a team with average or better defence? Do you not think these make a difference??

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Huffamaniac said:
No one is saying he is one of the best ever, just not a Top 5 at his position.

matfanofold said:

Then obviously, I disagree. :)

I measure greatness with 2 parts stats, and one part real world.

gvsu96

Aug 7, 2008
You can call me Milton
jbone17 said:
GV- Nice facts man. I know about his .618 winning % , but I still think he was the best given that he has 94 wins over Johnson.

I'd take the Big Train over Cy.
Young player 1 more year than Johnson.
Young played in 104 more games than Johnson.
Young started 149 more games than Johnson.
Young pitched 1440 more innings than Johnson
Young won the pitching triple crown in 1901 his only award listed.

Johnson had 34 more shutouts than Young.
Johnson had 706 more strikeouts than Young.
Johnson won:
1913-AL-MVP
1913-AL-Triple Crown
1918-AL-Triple Crown
1924-AL-MVP
1924-AL-Triple Crown

Members online

Latest posts