Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Razor Metal Film/Coating Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
Hey Everyone! I need some advice. If you have read any of the numerous Razor Metal threads that I have chimed in on, you know that I received a few of the cards with a protective film/coating on them. The coating is similar to the old school Topps Finest cards. I have yet to have anyone else comment that they have one or even seen/heard of any. My questions are:

#1) Are they rare?
#2) Are they worth slabbing if they are a "variation"? (My fear is the card will not grade high with it. I spoke with Beckett today.)
#3) Would it be better to sell "raw" copies and if so what kind of premium?

I'm puzzled. I have spoken with many collectors on FCB as well as other boards. Nobody knows anything about them. I've blown a couple messages into Razor and here was the last response "very UNUSUAL…"
Should I read in between the lines on that comment? Any advice would be really appreciated. Here is a blown up pic, hopefully you can see how they appear "cloudy". I pulled the film off of 1 of them because I was curious about the condition of the surface. Now in hind sight, maybe I should of left it alone. Thanks. Rob

Scan10012-21.jpg

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I could be way off, but I do not think the film is going to add any value or demand to what you have whatsoever. The only redeemable value it may have is that you get to peel it, and it potentially protected the surface a bit more than others. I have heard yo mention these several times now and I think the reason you are getting no real answers because there are no real answers to give. It is what it is, and I can not fathom it adding any kind of value and/or demand.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
matfanofold said:
I could be way off, but I do not think the film is going to add any value or demand to what you have whatsoever. The only redeemable value it may have is that you get to peel it, and it potentially protected the surface a bit more than others. I have heard yo mention these several times now and I think the reason you are getting no real answers because there are no real answers to give. It is what it is, and I can not fathom it adding any kind of value and/or demand.

I never know what to think when it comes to Razor. On 1 hand I hope it's a rare "variation" of some sort for the monetary aspect. I just don't know and nobody seems to have seen them before. Atleast it keeps me interested in the product. I guess it just takes the right buyer for it to become a "premium" item.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Great Dealz Rob said:
matfanofold said:

I never know what to think when it comes to Razor. On 1 hand I hope it's a rare "variation" of some sort for the monetary aspect. I just don't know and nobody seems to have seen them before. Atleast it keeps me interested in the product. I guess it just takes the right buyer for it to become a "premium" item.

DONT DO IT. Im pretty sure I just ruined my Lin blue by trying to peel that coating off. Maybe its something different but I could basically see something wierd at the top of the card and i eventually was able to start to peel it and some of the blue color came off with it.

Mine is like a hard plastic coating, not sure if that it was yours it.

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
mredsox89 said:
Great Dealz Rob said:
matfanofold said:

DONT DO IT. Im pretty sure I just ruined my Lin blue by trying to peel that coating off. Maybe its something different but I could basically see something wierd at the top of the card and i eventually was able to start to peel it and some of the blue color came off with it.

I did peel 2 of mine. The surface were perfect and no damage to the card at all. I'm just glad to hear someone else has seen one. Now I know I'm not crazy! ::facepalm:: :D :) :( Well, maybe a little bit!

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Great Dealz Rob said:
mredsox89 said:
[quote="Great Dealz Rob":2t5ew5a3]
matfanofold said:

I did peel 2 of mine. The surface were perfect and no damage to the card at all. I'm just glad to hear someone else has seen one. Now I know I'm not crazy! ::facepalm:: :D :) :( Well, maybe a little bit![/quote:2t5ew5a3]

Is yours a hard plastic coating or flimsly like soft sleeve?

Great Dealz Rob

Mar 11, 2009
mredsox89 said:
Great Dealz Rob said:
mredsox89 said:
[quote="Great Dealz Rob":3qtjoebc]
matfanofold said:

I did peel 2 of mine. The surface were perfect and no damage to the card at all. I'm just glad to hear someone else has seen one. Now I know I'm not crazy! ::facepalm:: :D :) :( Well, maybe a little bit!

Is yours a hard plastic coating or flimsly like soft sleeve?[/quote:3qtjoebc]

Flimsy.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Great Dealz Rob said:
mredsox89 said:
[quote="Great Dealz Rob":2n8xaen2]
mredsox89 said:
[quote="Great Dealz Rob":2n8xaen2]
matfanofold said:

Is yours a hard plastic coating or flimsly like soft sleeve?[/quote:2n8xaen2]

Flimsy.[/quote:2n8xaen2]

Oh. Mine was pretty firm. When i started to peel it off some of the blue color came off with it. Pretty much destroyed, oh well. Im gonna send an email to Brian. It was much more of a toploader type film than a soft sleeve.

If Brian can't do anything about it I won't be upset, I should have noticed it a few weeks ago. If im stuck with the card ill just throw it in with the rest going in the FCB group sub and see how they treat it, because then at least I could sell it

Members online