Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Top 10 Starting Pitchers This Season

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Just made this slideshow on who I think are the top ten pitchers so far this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1684 ... his-season

Would like to hear feedback, whether good or bad. It was fun to write and I know I am not a professional. I do it out of the love for the sport.

Who do you guys think are the top ten so far this season?

Thanks!

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
scotty21690 said:
No Halladay???

If you compare stats to any other player on that list, they have him beat.

He has 18 ER (higher than all on list), more hits than innings pitched, a 3.68 ERA (higher than all on the list), a .263 BAA (higher than all on list).

If you want to actually make a comparison with stats, be my guest.

Not taking anything away from Halladay because he is an outstanding pitcher, but if you read my intro I noted that W-L record is not heavily taken into consideration, which is the only category Halladay really had an edge in.

scotty21690

Aug 7, 2008
Y4NK335 said:
scotty21690 said:
No Halladay???

He has 18 ER (higher than all on list), more hits than innings pitched, a 3.68 ERA (higher than all on the list), a .263 BAA (higher than all on list).

Not taking anything away from Halladay because he is an outstanding pitcher, but if you read my intro I noted that W-L record is not heavily taken into consideration, which is the only category Halladay really had an edge in.
38:5 K/BB ratio 1.14 WHIP, replace Wandy with Doc. Wandy beats him in ERA but Halladay destroys him in K/BB

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Tomlinson21RB said:
Y4NK335 said:
Tomlinson21RB said:
scotty21690 said:
No Halladay???

No Haren???

Haren is Number 3 on the list..

Please guys if you want to ask about a pitcher, also name who from my list should be taken off in his place.

Oops, missed it. my bad.

No problem, a list without Haren would not be a very good list at all. Complete domination.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Before I read any comments, I'm offering my Top 10, then I'll edit after I see yours:

1a. Zack Greinke
1b. Johan Santana
3. Dan Haren
4. Chad Billingsley
5. Kevin Millwood
6. Yovani Gallardo
7. Roy Halladay
8. King Felix Hernandez
9. Johnny Cueto
10. Erik Bedard

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
scotty21690 said:
Y4NK335 said:
scotty21690 said:
No Halladay???

38:5 K/BB ratio 1.14 WHIP, replace Wandy with Doc. Wandy beats him in ERA but Halladay destroys him in K/BB

They have the exact same WHIP.

Wandy's BAA is .216, Halladay .263

Halladays K:BB is much more impressive I will give him that much.

Wandy has only given up 27 hits in 37 innings while Halladay has given up 45 hits in 44 innings.

Halladay has allowed DOUBLE the amount of Earned Runs.

Wandy is still yet to give up a Homerun, Halladay has given up 5.

Give it like 2-3 more starts for Halladay to pass Wandy, because I do not have faith in Wandy holding that spot.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Y4NK335 said:
scotty21690 said:
Y4NK335 said:
scotty21690 said:
No Halladay???

Wandy has only given up 27 hits in 37 innings while Halladay has given up 45 hits in 44 innings.

Give it like 2-3 more starts for Halladay to pass Wandy, because I do not have faith in Wandy holding that spot.

I think hits allowed and K:BB go hand in hand and you can't compare guys without looking at both. If you aren't walking guys you're just going to give up more hits. This is why WHIP is a far better way to compare hits/walks/strikeouts.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
aw00d05 said:
I'd put Milwood in at 10 instead of Rodriguez.

Millwood is an interesting case for #10.

When you look at Wandy's numbers it really is hard to go against him for the 10th spot.

His BAA against is better, his K/9 is better, his SLG against is considerably better, he has not allowed a home run while Millwood has allowed SEVEN ( I know, I did not really take in park factor, but 7 is still a lot), and has allowed 5 less runs.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Y4NK335 said:
aw00d05 said:
I'd put Milwood in at 10 instead of Rodriguez.

Millwood is an interesting case for #10.

When you look at Wandy's numbers it really is hard to go against him for the 10th spot.

His BAA against is better, his K/9 is better, his SLG against is considerably better, he has not allowed a home run while Millwood has allowed SEVEN ( I know, I did not really take in park factor, but 7 is still a lot), and has allowed 5 less runs.
I like Rodriguez too but I think Milwood has been better overall, I could care less as a Rangers fan as long as they keep winning though.

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
Tomlinson21RB said:
Y4NK335 said:
scotty21690 said:
Y4NK335 said:
scotty21690 said:
No Halladay???

I think hits allowed and K:BB go hand in hand and you can't compare guys without looking at both. If you aren't walking guys you're just going to give up more hits. This is why WHIP is a far better way to compare hits/walks/strikeouts.

Halladay - 44 Innings - 45 Hits -5 Walks - 38 Strikeouts - 1.14 WHIP
Wandy - 37 Innings - 27 Hits - 15 Walks - 30 Strikeouts - 1.14 WHIP

Identical WHIP, I guess just preference?

Say you even take the 10 extra walks allowed and turn them into hits, thats 1:1 ratio which is still SLIGHTLY lower than Halladay's ( I know I'm streching it ;) )

Y4NK335

Aug 7, 2008
TBD
wolfmanalfredo said:
Seems a little NL biased to me, but maybe thats where the pitching is this year.

I am an AL fan too.

I noticed the heavy-loaded NL after I made the list, but to be honest they just have the better pitching this year.

Not many AL pitchers have much room to compete other than Felix, Millwood, Halladay, and Bedard for the last spot.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
I am not saying he makes the top 10....but Edinson Volquez is one of the hottest pitchers in all of baseball:

16 consecutive shutout innings
4 hits
13 Ks

4 ER last 27 innings. Lowered his ERA from 9.64 to 3.50.

improved to 4-2 on the year.

He is one to watch.

Members online

Latest posts