Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Will Roy Halladay be traded at this year's deadline?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
He's locked up through next season, but I've already started hearing whispers that he might be available at this year's deadline. As a Mets fan, do you think an offer of Jose Reyes for Roy Halladay straight up would do anything for Toronto? Each player switches leagues so they don't have to worry about facing one another. The Jays get a young SS who is signed to an incredibly affordable contract through next year with an option for 2011 that they would definitely exercise, and save a lot of money by dumping Halladay. Obviously the Mets end up with what could be the most dynamic 1-2 combo in baseball history. Am I crazy thinking that this could actually make a lot of sense for both teams?

Edit: Granted, the Jays are in first place right now, but let's be honest - it's only a matter of time before the big boys catch up and grab hold of the division. If they're still competitive by the deadline, this is pretty much moot.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
No, Halladay will not be traded at the deadline. I firmly believe he will sign an extension.

Ricciardi has said that if he were to ever think about dealing Doc, he'd approach other teams with a mask and a gun because there's no other way he'd be dealt.

And personally, I wouldn't even think for a second about Reyes straight up for Doc. Now, I personally think Reyes is quite overrated so that plays into my reasoning but in my opinion, it doesn't even come close.

Bigfan5

Aug 7, 2008
I actually do think he's traded at the deadline. The usual suspects will all get in line for his services and I think the Dodgers end up with him. They have the minor league talent to trade and given their thin pitching I think they'll be very motivated to deal this time. As much as I hate it I bet that Andrew Lambo is the centerpiece of the trade along with other top prospects and someone like MacDonald who's had some major league experience.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
First off, calling a Halladay/Santana combo "what could be the most dynamic 1-2 combo in baseball history" is extremely far-reaching.

That said, from the outside, I feel that the Mets are indeed looking for a way to get top value for Reyes while getting him out of town and clearly they have major pitching issues...and I think this would help the Mets more than Toronto.

Losing your staff ace is a major hole, and the Blue Jays would need a lot of time to try to get another #1, especially within their system.

Regardless, I think Halladay decides what he wants done. If he wants to retire a Blue Jay, he'll seek the contract extension.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
braden said:
And personally, I wouldn't even think for a second about Reyes straight up for Doc. Now, I personally think Reyes is quite overrated so that plays into my reasoning but in my opinion, it doesn't even come close.

I think he's the most overrated player in all of baseball and have said that for a while - as a Mets fan, I want to capitalize on his perceived value before everyone else figures it out too.

200lbhockeyplayer said:
First off, calling a Halladay/Santana combo "what could be the most dynamic 1-2 combo in baseball history" is extremely far-reaching.

How do you figure? Johan is the best pitcher in baseball right now, and I think he has been for the past 5+ years (89-40, 2.77 ERA, 1.02 WHIP and 1233 K's since 2004), while Halladay hasn't done much worse (118-50, 3.20 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 1090 K's since 2002 which includes his 2 shortened seasons with injuries). Add in the fact that this has all been done in an offensive-oriented era and I don't see how you can argue this would be one of the best 1-2 combos in history?

As far as your point about getting Reyes out of town, I think the first step is sending his boy Minaya packing first. Either way, I hope you're right and they dump him.

dooly

Feb 9, 2009
There is almost no chance Halladay will be traded at the trade deadline, even if Toronto is out of it. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for 2010 when all the injured pitchers return, so even without the Jays great start, Halladay would have stuck around. Add in the fact that Halladay likes playing for the Jays and Ricciardi has stated that if he were to ever be traded, he'd need a "boatload", there is almost no chance of this happening. All the rumours you hear are just that, rumours from the papers of big market clubs fantasizing about getting a beast like Doc. I really do believe that Halladay will sign a contract extension, especially if the club continues playing well this year (not necessarily even get to the playoffs, but just show some promise for the future).

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Not a chance. They Jays would want an Allstar or two plus several top prospects. I'm not sure if that would be enough. Halladay is a robot.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
It seems like it's always rumored, but I really doubt it actually happens.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Bumping this for the "I told you so" factor since it's become very topical :D

Certainly I don't foresee the Mets being players in any deal at this point, but it sure makes me seem like a legit prognosticator!

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
I think the Blue Jays would have to trade Roy Halladay if they want to contend for a w.s. in the future....Yes,he is a Stud and a true #1 starter no doubt.With the Yankees,Boston and the Rays in the Division who have better talent and are more attractive to free agents then the Blue Jays are a .500 or slightly better for the next 4-5 years if they sign him to a extention.If they can trade him can get 1-2 really good mlb roster players now & another 2-3 top prospects.

I believe that would put them closer to contending in the a.l. east then if they keep Halladay.

Thumpersports

Aug 9, 2008
Calgary
Bornagaincollector said:
I think the Blue Jays would have to trade Roy Halladay if they want to contend for a w.s. in the future....Yes,he is a Stud and a true #1 starter no doubt.With the Yankees,Boston and the Rays in the Division who have better talent and are more attractive to free agents then the Blue Jays are a .500 or slightly better for the next 4-5 years if they sign him to a extention.If they can trade him can get 1-2 really good mlb roster players now & another 2-3 top prospects.

I believe that would put them closer to contending in the a.l. east then if they keep Halladay.

Good pitching beats good hitting. If Marcum and Macgowan and maybe Litsch were healthy, things might be differant right now. The Jays stack up to the big boys in line-up more than some think.

One thing is for certain, if he does get traded, JP will officially become the worst Jays GM in history and public enemy of all Jays fans. That said, why he even still has a chance to pull off a trade is insane anyway. The guy has done nothing and most Jays fans already hate him.