Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Why do so many people think Jose Reyes is overrated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've seen it on these boards a hundred times, "Jose Reyes is (one of) the most overrated players in baseball." I've heard it time and time again, and I just don't get it.

Reyes has game-changing speed, and wreaks havoc on bases even when he's not actually stealing. That said, he's not just a base stealer. With 37 double, 19 triples and 16 homers last season, he was in the top 10 in extra base hits in the NL last seasons, bats close to .300 every season, scores over 100 runs, and walks almost as much as he K's, all while playing shortstop. From everything I have seen and heard he deserves to be on a very short list of best players in baseball. What gives?

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
I've seen it on these boards a hundred times, "Jose Reyes is (one of) the most overrated players in baseball." I've heard it time and time again, and I just don't get it.

Reyes has game-changing speed, and wreaks havoc on bases even when he's not actually stealing. That said, he's not just a base stealer. With 37 double, 19 triples and 16 homers last season, he was in the top 10 in extra base hits in the NL last seasons, bats close to .300 every season, scores over 100 runs, and walks almost as much as he K's, all while playing shortstop. From everything I have seen and heard he deserves to be on a very short list of best players in baseball. What gives?

Probably cause he's a met, and most Mets are in general viewed as over-rated by the public(shielding myself from the overtide of Mets fans.......... :lol: )

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
hes sucking it up this year, thats for sure.
So is David White.
and Mr Softie is having the quietest .400 season in the history of the game.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
He's a leadoff hitter with a .336 career OBP. His career OPS+ is exactly 100.
He was a middle of the pack fielder last year.

He's definitely improving his OBP so I think he can become one of the top 10 players in the game, but I just don't think he's anywhere close to that right now.

I may be biased because I think speed is by far the most overrated tool but even with his incredible speed Reyes has been stealing at an 80% or lower success rate for the past four years. 75% is considered the bare minimum for it to be a worthwhile endeavour.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Playing for the Mets is probably the No. 1 reason.

He has speed, can show to hit for some power and improving plate discipline. He may not be a .400 on-base guy, but he isn't the relatively raw hitter he was early in his Major League career.

brouthercard said:
Topnotchsy said:

Probably cause he's a met, and most Mets are in general viewed as over-rated by the public(shielding myself from the overtide of Mets fans.......... :lol: )

teachervido

Aug 7, 2008
Fresh Meadows, NY
ThoseBackPages said:
hes sucking it up this year, thats for sure.
So is David White.
and Mr Softie is having the quietest .400 season in the history of the game.

David Write is starting to heat up. Hopefully I can get true value for the cards below.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
As a Mets fan, he's the least-clutch player on the team. He acts like he doesn't care and plays like it too, as evident by his MISERABLE collapses the past two years when they really needed him. Here are his September numbers during the past two collapses:

2007 - .205 avg., .279 OBP, 5/9 in stolen base attempts, 15 K's
2008 - .243 avg., .314 OBP, 10/13 in stolen base attempts, 16 K's

And those are the numbers of our leadoff hitter. Add in the fact that he has the baseball IQ of a 4th grader and he becomes incredibly overrated and frustrating for all Mets fans. He's the type of guy who will swing at the first pitch after the pitcher has walked the previous two hitters with 8 straight balls. Good riddance, get him out of here.

Members online

Latest posts