Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else watching Zack Greinke's item's go up & up & up??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
As the title of the thread reads: "Is there anyone else watching Zack Greinke's item's continue to go up???"... Seriously, his stuff is on fire (I thought the UD PP Rc Auto's had topped out at $60 :oops: ..Now they're at $85 & still going strong!!! Heck, his Bowman base rookie has been fetching $7.50 to $10.00 apiece!!! :shock:
I'm one of those that lost faith in him last season (not so much lost faith, but I sold most of my stuff on him when he started off on fire)...I sure wish I bought more & held onto it until now (heck, he may continue his unbelievable production until he pulls in the Cy Young award)!!! Anyhow, what do you guy's think?

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Codasco07 said:
I'd be selling as fast as I could

Do you think his production is an aberration (& if so, why)?

Anyone with an ERA less than 1 is an aberration. He's good, but to think this is normal is laughable. RC Cards usually have one insane peak and never get back to that point. Miggy 2000 TT, Sizemore 2000 BDP, Pujols 01 BC, and virtually every other card has had a high water mark and despite continued excellence the card is far below that value. I'd be selling if I had any Greinke. Anytime base modern (2002-) bowman rcs go for 8-10 it's selling time.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I got $44 apiece for my 2 PP RC Auto's and thought I did really well. He could wind up being a great pitcher, but the current spike is insane. Nice to see though, as it helps the overall market when a card is going through the roof.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Obviously his production is an aberration. I like seeing success come from unexpected places, but I don't think this guy's Cliff Lee 2009. He was highly touted when he first came up, but was never able to deliver on his promise. If he's putting it all together now, that's great, but I don't think he'll last.

But hopefully he perks up prices of 2002 BDP boxes, as I have a couple I'd like to unload, and they've been pretty soft lately.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
smapdi said:
Obviously his production is an aberration. I like seeing success come from unexpected places, but I don't think this guy's Cliff Lee 2009. He was highly touted when he first came up, but was never able to deliver on his promise. If he's putting it all together now, that's great, but I don't think he'll last.

But hopefully he perks up prices of 2002 BDP boxes, as I have a couple I'd like to unload, and they've been pretty soft lately.

Obviously I am not going to argue as everyone has an opinion (that's what I asked for & everyone has given thier opinion- Thank you guy's), but I wanted you to elaborate on your Cliff Lee statement as the sentence was worded to where I couldn't translate your meaning fully. Were you meaning that Greinke is no Cliff Lee 2009 because he should stay productive & not be a one-year wonder (ala Cliff Lee)? Or did you mean that since Greinke was a high draft pick that this type of solid production was more predictable than that of a player like Cliff Lee? Please clarify. :D

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It helps that Greinke was on the cover of the latest Sports Illustrated.
It's a great article too, and really makes you think this season is for real.

greinke.jpg

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Austin said:
It helps that Greinke was on the cover of the latest Sports Illustrated.
It's a great article too, and really makes you think this season is for real.

greinke.jpg

I love your avatar man (friggin hillarious bud)! :lol:

blazers091

Dec 7, 2008
He's playing against the angels next and then the orioles. I don't think either team has that strong of a lineup, so maybe hold until he goes up against the Cards.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
Codasco07 said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Codasco07 said:

Anyone with an ERA less than 1 is an aberration. He's good, but to think this is normal is laughable. RC Cards usually have one insane peak and never get back to that point. Miggy 2000 TT, Sizemore 2000 BDP, Pujols 01 BC, and virtually every other card has had a high water mark and despite continued excellence the card is far below that value. I'd be selling if I had any Greinke. Anytime base modern (2002-) bowman rcs go for 8-10 it's selling time.

Johan Santana's ERA is under 1... I don't think that is an aberration. I obviously know it won't last, but it is still a good gauge of skill level and/or future skill levels.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
sportscardtheory said:
Codasco07 said:
HoustonTeams4Me said:
Codasco07 said:

Johan Santana's ERA is under 1... I don't think that is an aberration. I obviously know it won't last, but it is still a good gauge of skill level and/or future skill levels.

Seriously? Of course it's an aberration. Johan's the best pitcher in baseball, but to not think a sub 1 ERA is an aberration is ridiculous.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I'm not familiar with Greinke's card prices, so what were his best rookie cards going for in the offseason?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
mrwhitesox30 said:
I'm not familiar with Greinke's card prices, so what were his best rookie cards going for in the offseason?

:lol: You're gonna LOVE this! When the UD PP Rc Auto's were listed they would normally "peak" at $14-$15 "peak" :? :shock: ... His B.Chrome Gold Ref's were still ridiculously high (I've never touched them, thier ROI isn't that great considering what they are going for now, as opposed to past sell's I've seen). B.Chrome Ref's were fetching a "whopping" $7-$8 :shock: :| .... while Xfractor's (I got one in the offseason) were $13, though I only saw 2 & 1 of them was in a lot of 2002 refractor/xfrac that I got for a steal... Greinke is making some collector's ALOT of dough right now (I just wish I was one of them)! :D

cardboardGIANTS

Mar 11, 2009
Thank you Kevin Frandsen for not signing your '52 Topps Rookies.

Bought 2 at $1 each, redeemed and got these 2 as replacements. Was upset, but was too lazy to complain to Topps. Tossed these in a box and forgot all about it.

zg2.jpg
zg1.jpg

sold for $20 and $25 (+s/h)
:D