Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Strasburg Conspiracy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sraxe

Dec 2, 2008
Do you think MLB just doesn't want Strasburg to have a non licensed rookie card? If he goes straight to bigs, that cuts Tristar out and if Razor would sign him, that cuts Topps out.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
I can't possibly imagine that anyone at MLB or, more importantly, the Washington Nationals, really care one way or the other. Certainly not enough to affect his promotion to the National League.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
One thing is for sure. The MLBPA wants the dollars that Strasburg brings to the products he will be in, which means securing him in as many MLB licensed products as possible. Strasburg could have the closest affect on wax since the likes of Pujols/Ichiro.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
This really may have something to do with the rumored moves by MLB/MLBPA. They have been trying to get RC cards of major leaguers into licensed products since Ichiro and Pujols had RCs in every major 2002 release. In their eyes, Strasburg going straight into the bigs should be a boon to their licensees, not Razor.

edit-bbcardkid beat me to that punch

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Razor wasn't going to spend the money to get a player who would be in the minors for a month and already has numerous cards. But Brian has said for a while that the MLB hated Razor if you listen to past podcasts. Strasburg is the reason for MLB doing this, but it is funny that I would have bet a lot that he would not have been a Razor Exclusive.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
beefycheddar said:
Razor wasn't going to spend the money to get a player who would be in the minors for a month and already has numerous cards. But Brian has said for a while that the MLB hated Razor if you listen to past podcasts. Strasburg is the reason for MLB doing this, but it is funny that I would have bet a lot that he would not have been a Razor Exclusive.

I disagree with Brian if he didn't pursue Strasburg. Regardless if he was an exclusive in the product or not, whatever product that has his cards is going to sell. Who cares if you have him for only a few months, if you have him between the time he signs his MLB contract until opening day in 2010, that is enough time for Brian to put out a product or two that has Strasburg in it. Strasburg = sales

Now whether or not Razor can sign Strasburg is an entirely different story that many believe can't and won't happen.

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
bballcardkid said:
beefycheddar said:

I disagree with Brian if he didn't pursue Strasburg. Regardless if he was an exclusive in the product or not, whatever product that has his cards is going to sell. Who cares if you have him for only a few months, if you have him between the time he signs his MLB contract until opening day in 2010, that is enough time for Brian to put out a product or two that has Strasburg in it. Strasburg = sales

Now whether or not Razor can sign Strasburg is an entirely different story that many believe can't and won't happen.

I didn't say they wouldn't sign him, I said not as an exclusive. There were plenty of big names in Razor that were not exclusives.

sraxe

Dec 2, 2008
angelsrockies4ever said:
What are you asking?

Well, I figured UD was covered either way, but MLB wasn't and Strasburg will be a boon for card sales. I do not see Razor signing as many exclusives this year, just the top 5-10 especially with Donruss out. A 3 year deal like they did for Weiters would not be what MLB would want. Of course I would have suspected a deal with UD would have been done for Weiters or even Stasburg to help "cover" the cost and leave Topps out.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
sraxe said:
angelsrockies4ever said:
What are you asking?

Well, I figured UD was covered either way, but MLB wasn't and Strasburg will be a boon for card sales. I do not see Razor signing as many exclusives this year, just the top 5-10 especially with Donruss out. A 3 year deal like they did for Weiters would not be what MLB would want. Of course I would have suspected a deal with UD would have been done for Weiters or even Stasburg to help "cover" the cost and leave Topps out.

Wait, isn't Weiters an exclusive only until he reaches the big league roster? Aren't the other exclusives true exclusives for the run of the contract? I'm pretty out of the loop on this, but I do know that Weiters' contract was different from the others'.

angelsrockies4ever

Aug 7, 2008
sraxe said:
angelsrockies4ever said:
What are you asking?

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I didn't quite understand from the initial post.

Latest posts