Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Okay...whats the deal with index cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Today me and a friend went to get Mack Brown's(head coach for UT) autograph because he was signing in Austin for free at an Academy.Me and my friend both asked if we could get back in line after we got our first auto because we had a few things we wanted him to sign.The people at Academy said sure.A lot of people ended up doing this.He was going to be there for two hours so it didn't seem like it would be a big deal.

Well the first time around we both got our mini helmet's signed.Then I wanted to get an index card while my friend was going to get his poster.I have recently been getting every player or coach I can on index cards because I noticed with the baseball signings they often have 3 or 4 players/coaches at once at every signing so if I already have a some signatures of some of them I can still get them on an index card.I save at least one index card and give the others away to friends and family who were not able to attend.Its a cheap and easy way to get a player or coach that you already have and don't want to shell out money to buy a ball or something else for.And they look cool all together.I didn't think they would but they do.It also helps when you really don't have an item for them to sign and you can't afford one.There were a few basketball players I didn't have anything for so I used the index card instead.

Anyways...I get up there and I hand him my index card and he acts kinda weird like he is hesitant to sign it.I have never had anyone act this way before.The guy who is working the event steps in and offers me one of the promotional posters instead saying it would look so much nicer.I told him I usually get index cards and I had been building quite a collection of them.He kept insisting I take the poster and Mack Brown immediately and hurriedly agrees and starts signing a handful of them.So now I am confused as to whats the big damn deal.So I just shut my trap and take the poster they offered and walk away.I wait for my friend to finish and we walk away.

Then that's when he said he overheard them talking about my index card.He said they were talking about people selling things on ebay and that anyone getting anything signed with a blue marker most likely is selling the item on ebay.I noticed now that I recall...there were no blue markers on the table.They gave him a zillion markers to sign things with and not one blue marker was present.I paid it no mind initially but now it seems odd.My friend also said that he overheard them speaking of my index card and that they were saying they figured I would sell it on ebay since they are worth a lot.They also said that's why I was trying to use a blue ball point pen to get him to sign it.Then as we were walking away my buddy took his time coming and I walked slow.I guess he was trying to overhear what they were saying.He told me they were relieved that I hadn't got the index card signed.

So after all of that ,what I want to know is what's the big deal with the index cards?I have heard that some athletes won't sign them for whatever reason but it makes no sense to me.If they are worried about you selling them...well...lets just say I bet that mini helmet I got signed would fetch a great deal more than an index card.And last time I checked blue was just a color.I will only buy blue autographed baseballs but I have no preference on photos or any other item.I had the blue pen because it was one I got in a pack of 20 for getting my baseballs signed.I also had no idea signed index cards of non hall of famers or non dead players were worth a dime.Its why I use them.They are cheap.I also would have lost my rear end if I went out there to get index cards signed and tried to sell them on ebay.I paid about $40 in gas and also wasted about 9 hours of the day between driving and waiting in line.Its a three hour drive there and a three hour drive back.

Normally I would just chalk this up to a bit of weirdness but this was more than one person who was concerned and their expressions, actions, and words were pretty comical.I seriously couldn't believe they were that worried about it.

Does anyone know what the deal is?

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
I've heard something about some players being told to not sign index cards because of identity theft or something like that. Not sure though.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Yep, identity theft.

If I remember right, the MLB instructs their first year players to show caution when signing index cards for that very reason.

vaughn

Mar 31, 2009
Oxford,Ms
dude mack brown index cards are going for some SERIOUS loot on ebay!!! lol.

I actually like index cards, b/c you can encase them kinda nice into a display and frame a bunch of em etc and get them pretty cheap.

That's lame they got so worried about it.

deceptikon1978

Apr 7, 2009
I have never heard anything like that about index cards. I did notice that almost every TTM I send out though they sign it on the lined side of the index card. I personally like index cards to cause you can do stuff like this with them...

IMG_0959.jpg

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
deceptikon1978 said:
I have never heard anything like that about index cards. I did notice that almost every TTM I send out though they sign it on the lined side of the index card. I personally like index cards to cause you can do stuff like this with them...

IMG_0959.jpg

Who is that?

Latest posts