Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

NO WAY!!! HOW in the world did this get a 10 on AUTO????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Mourmelon le Grand, France
This is VERY strange.
Most of you remember this card and the switch in autos for Chris Young. Indeed, the D-Backs player and San Diego player have 2 VERY different autos so they can easily be identified.
Well, on this card you have the D-Backs player with the San Diego auto and yet the auto grade is 10. Can anyone explain how this is possible.
Had there been a mention that the card contained an error or something of the sort... but here nothing.

Did BGS screw this one up?

BGS9StephenDrew-1.jpg

PS: not my card but found on Ebay.

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
They probably did not even notice. Can you get a reduced grade if the auto is the wrong one? I always thought the grade was based on how well the pen hit the card, boldness etc etc?

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
ccolwell said:
They probably did not even notice. Can you get a reduced grade if the auto is the wrong one? I always thought the grade was based on how well the pen hit the card, boldness etc etc?

That's something to look into. I have no idea. If they only base grades on how the pen hit the card and if it fits the box or if the auto looks decent, then I'm no longer going to trust auto grades. I (and perhaps wrongly) always thought it was an extra indication of authenticity. I guess not.

BGSRCGUY

Aug 7, 2008
Orange County
domino2012 said:
ccolwell said:

That's something to look into. I have no idea. If they only base grades on how the pen hit the card and if it fits the box or if the auto looks decent, then I'm no longer going to trust auto grades. I (and perhaps wrongly) always thought it was an extra indication of authenticity. I guess not.

They only grade on how the pen and if its on the sticker space etc. It is not a extra indication of authenticity, that would be JSA BGS slabs.

ccolwell

Aug 7, 2008
NC
ProspectorsAdvantage said:
domino2012 said:
ccolwell said:

They only grade on how the pen and if its on the sticker space etc. It is not a extra indication of authenticity, that would be JSA BGS slabs.

Thanks for the info. I do not grade cards so I would not have known.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Indeed, thanks for the info. I always thought that the grade was not only for pen, size, etc, but also for authenticity. This will definately make me think twice about auto grades.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
domino2012 said:
ccolwell said:

Just curious, but what exactly do you mean here?

Did you think the lesser the auto grade, the lesser the possibility of it being genuine? I'm just curious on how you thought the auto grade took anything other than the physical quality in to account?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
matfanofold said:
domino2012 said:
ccolwell said:

Just curious, but what exactly do you mean here?

Did you think the lesser the auto grade, the lesser the possibility of it being genuine? I'm just curious on how you thought the auto grade took anything other than the physical quality in to account?

I am also curious? If BGS had caught the auto issue and graded based on what you thought, what grade would have been reasonable? I am not sure how a grade would ever be assigned authenticity, it is either authentic or not. So the grading would have been 10 or 0.

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
domino2012 said:
Indeed, thanks for the info. I always thought that the grade was not only for pen, size, etc, but also for authenticity. This will definately make me think twice about auto grades.
If you go with PSA/DNA that's a little more for authenticity.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The autograph grade on BGS slabs is a joke. It always has been, and always will be.

If the autograph is part of the surface, grade it as such, but when a BGS 10 autograph can easily fade into oblivion within the BGS slab, it's completely misleading to separate grades.

Beckett was smart however...people buy into the validity of it.

Regardless, in this situation, the error is on Upper Deck...and they continually screw up the Chris Young autographs because they hire and breed idiots.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
Ok, I guess I should give more explanation to what I thought was the truth.

I thought that any auto that received a grade was authentic and that the number was just referring to the rest (pen mark, centered, cut off sticker etc).

In other words, the fact that the card received a grade "told" me that it (the auto) was authentic and the number "told" me if it was "clean" and "clear".

I just supposed that certain cards with fake autos would not obtain a grade.

Not sure if you see what I mean.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
My X-fractor got a 10 auto, hold on let me get a scan. i guess if its not smudge it gets a 10 auto (or fade?)
image-15.jpg
both are .5 away (X and gold) and are back at BGS :)

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
domino2012 said:
Ok, I guess I should give more explanation to what I thought was the truth.

I thought that any auto that received a grade was authentic and that the number was just referring to the rest (pen mark, centered, cut off sticker etc).

In other words, the fact that the card received a grade "told" me that it (the auto) was authentic and the number "told" me if it was "clean" and "clear".

I just supposed that certain cards with fake autos would not obtain a grade.

Not sure if you see what I mean.

The auto is authentic in BGS's eyes because UD certified it as authentic.

gregbara

Aug 10, 2008
The auto grade is just that, the grade of the auto, regardless of what spot its in. They are not there to grade the correctness of card.

domino2012

Aug 17, 2008
lisu said:

Sorry to bump this back up but I needed to ask: wouldn't you think the person as Beckett would know this anyways? I mean, it's not like it's the first Chris Young auto that is graded. I understood the principle of auto grades, but I still don't understand how UD messed up and I don't understand how Beckett doesn't at least mention the error or something.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
domino2012 said:
lisu said:

Sorry to bump this back up but I needed to ask: wouldn't you think the person as Beckett would know this anyways? I mean, it's not like it's the first Chris Young auto that is graded. I understood the principle of auto grades, but I still don't understand how UD messed up and I don't understand how Beckett doesn't at least mention the error or something.

They only grade cards that are certified authentic from a card manufacturer. They also do not look at authenticity only at how the auto is signed.

Members online

Latest posts