Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Razor Metal sales format change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Ebay has officially discontinued DUTCH AUCTIONS. For this reason, future Metal sales will be conducted as follows:

GOLD AUTOGRAPHS: Will be sold individually with all auctions ending over a 1 or 2 day period depending on the quantity available.

BLUE AUTOGRAPHS: Will be sold individually with all auctions ending over 1, 2, or 3 day periods depending on the quantity available.

BASE AUTOGRAPHS: WILL BE SOLD THROUGH ONLY FIXED PRICE LISTINGS. Thus, we encourage buyers to buy early to avoid being shut out.

We hope this poses only minor inconveniences. Ebay's change threw a wrench into our sales program, but we feel this is the best soultion to deal with this.

Thank You…

Razor

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I assume this means that if a player has a Gold Metal Auto with a print run of 25, that there will be 25 separate auctions of him on eBay, although not all will be ending on the same day.

Someone correct me if I'm reading that wrong.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jaypers said:
I assume this means that if a player has a Gold Metal Auto with a print run of 25, that there will be 25 separate auctions of him on eBay, although not all will be ending on the same day.

That's the way I read it too.

That kind of sucks really, I had gotten some what I felt to be good deals on the dutch auctions.

Chris, any news when the next auctions will go up?

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
masonphillip said:
Jaypers said:

That kind of sucks really, I had gotten some what I felt to be good deals on the dutch auctions.

Brian told me there would be 10-15 new players' auctions to be listed this week. Plus the base and Blues of the ones whose Golds are currently up.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Hmm...apparantly I did read the description wrong, as Brian just clarified things a bit more for me:

i.e.- there are 16 peter hissey

4 will end at 6 pst

4 will end at 6:20 pst

4 will end 6:40 pst

4 will end 7:00 pst

That way you will know after 4 end if you’ve won one yet.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
this = ::facepalm:: imho

Not much they can do about it, but its one more thing gone wrong.

I would agree, honestly, I like the Metal cards a lot and it would have been pretty cool if all the base metal blue metal and gold metal were packed out with the autos too, would have been a great product.

The ebay way of selling just seems..bleh.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:

I would agree, honestly, I like the Metal cards a lot and it would have been pretty cool if all the base metal blue metal and gold metal were packed out with the autos too, would have been a great product.

Yup.

More great PR.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:

the only problem with the ebay distribution method in my opinion, is the fact that its a market place that can change without notice.

And it did just that.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Jeff N. said:
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:

Yup.

More great PR.

At this point it doesn't change anything really, the PR perception already exists and this is just one more thing.

The one thing to be hoped is that it has all been learned from and the changes will be seen in 2009's prodcuts, if they happen that is.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
masonphillip said:
cgilmo said:

the only problem with the ebay distribution method in my opinion, is the fact that its a market place that can change without notice.

And it did just that.

Well and you have the flood factor too, Chrome autos sell well on ebay but they come out, as people bust packs, over time, not all at once. If you put 2,000 Gordon Beckham chrome autos up all at once the market would not have an appetite for it, it needs to take bites, so when 490 Tim Beckham autos go up, it overwhelms the market, even if $25 was a good price.

Russ S.

Aug 10, 2008
VA / DC / MD
Jaypers said:
masonphillip said:
Jaypers said:

Brian told me there would be 10-15 new players' auctions to be listed this week. Plus the base and Blues of the ones whose Golds are currently up.

That isn't the case for all of them. ;)

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
I have an issue with the way some of this information is communicated to the collectors. Say for example that there is someone out there that likes to purchase Razor metal cards, but does not frequent Internet messages boards. How is this person supposed to find out about these (or other) changes?

I know, they can go to http://www.razorcollectibles.com/ to get the latest information on this and other new products, rights? Nope, Razor Metal isn't even mentioned on the company's website.

If Razor wants to salvage any bit of respectability in this hobby, then they really need to improve the way they choose to [not] communicate with their customers. I am thankful that this information is shared on FCB, but it should not be up to FCB to distribute this information for Razor.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Meh, i guess this sorta sux. But im almost happier because now I will have some idea of what the card will go for and can then make up my mind about buying it. Any word on why ebay discontinued dutch auctions?

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
mredsox89 said:
Meh, i guess this sorta sux. But im almost happier because now I will have some idea of what the card will go for and can then make up my mind about buying it. Any word on why ebay discontinued dutch auctions?

"buyer and seller confusion" AKA: Fixed price listings for multiple items = more fees.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
chrome_ball said:
I have an issue with the way some of this information is communicated to the collectors. Say for example that there is someone out there that likes to purchase Razor metal cards, but does not frequent Internet messages boards. How is this person supposed to find out about these (or other) changes?

I know, they can go to http://www.razorcollectibles.com/ to get the latest information on this and other new products, rights? Nope, Razor Metal isn't even mentioned on the company's website.

If Razor wants to salvage any bit of respectability in this hobby, then they really need to improve the way they choose to [not] communicate with their customers. I am thankful that this information is shared on FCB, but it should not be up to FCB to distribute this information for Razor.

Most collectors do not even visit corporate websites for topps or UD either. Collectors in the past have relied on hobby shop owners and thier peers for information.

Hobby shop owners generally know less than they used to, so now its all truly grass roots.

Bob Loblaw

Aug 21, 2008
Bright House Field
cgilmo said:
chrome_ball said:

Most collectors do not even visit corporate websites for topps or UD either. Collectors in the past have relied on hobby shop owners and thier peers for information.

Hobby shop owners generally know less than they used to, so now its all truly grass roots.

Collectors would go to companies' websites if there was relevant information posted. I criticized Razor 8 months ago for having a lackluster -- and that's being very kind -- website.

Hobby shop owners were telling anyone that listened that UD owned Razor months and months and months ago.

Don't dis your local hobby shop. They've got their finger on the pulse more than you know. Maybe not in Alabama, but in ohter states...

Members online

Latest posts