Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BGS grading question+looking for opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
So many people on here feel that when you submit a card to becket in a normal order you shouldn't put a MG because you are paying the full price anyways. I agree with this. However, I wonder this. On current cards, would having it slabbed authentic hurt the value less than a BGS 9, BGS 8.5, BGS 8? Basically, would it be worth it to just get the cards slabbed as authentic that aren't 9.5's or where would you draw the line?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
js0000001 said:
slabbed authentic might sell for less then raw

You think? This question only came to my attention when I saw people submitting cards in the next FCB group submission with a MG, and slabbed as authentic if they didn't hit that grade. I guess maybe keeping it raw would give the allusion of a possibility of a high grade.

cgilmo said:
people would see that authentic slab and assume something was wrong with the card.

Thats what I figured, but then as i mentioned i saw people putting a MG on cards in the May FCB submission

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Alot of sellers who submit alot will do a minimum grade of 9.5 and if it don't gem they say to slab it BCCG 10

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Depends on the card, people see the "10" and think highly of it and pay more. You do know that you are getting a card that is at least "mint" by beckett and could possibly be better condition.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
Authentic grading should be for very hard to find PC items, where most wouldn't care about a grade. I would say outside of superfractors it would not be good for RCs.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
What is the likelyhood of a BCCG being cracked open and submitted to BGS for grading for a 9.5?

I don't even know what BCCG is let alone why people would use it?

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
EricInCT said:
What is the likelyhood of a BCCG being cracked open and submitted to BGS for grading for a 9.5?

I don't even know what BCCG is let alone why people would use it?

Just about 0%. BCCG is a tool used by bulk submitters who can choose to have any cards that don't meet the min 9.5 grade, to have them encapsulated as BCCG 10's as long as they meet certain criteria (which is more lax than the regular BGS standards). I would equate BCCG 10's to somewhere between an 8 or 8.5.

BCCG grading is much cheaper than regular grading or even bulk grading rates.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
To answer the OP's question, I would think that any cards slabbed as Authentic were done so because they were trimmed or altered. Otherwise they would have been slabbed and graded. There's absolutely no reason to think that any card slabbed as authentic would grade out as a 9 or higher, just as no card slabbed as a BCCG 10 would get better than a 9. If there was a chance, it would already be graded as such.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
JVC said:
To answer the OP's question, I would think that any cards slabbed as Authentic were done so because they were trimmed or altered. Otherwise they would have been slabbed and graded. There's absolutely no reason to think that any card slabbed as authentic would grade out as a 9 or higher, just as no card slabbed as a BCCG 10 would get better than a 9. If there was a chance, it would already be graded as such.

Alright, that was my though process to begin with. Just didn't understand why people were putting a MG on cards in the FCB shipment.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
MOFNY said:
Authentic grading should be for very hard to find PC items, where most wouldn't care about a grade. I would say outside of superfractors it would not be good for RCs.

slabbing my jordan/lebron dual auto/dual patch authentic because of dinged corner and the fact it's pc.

The_ReverendAct2

Aug 7, 2008
JVC said:

bad assumption, esp. when pc's are involved. i know you looked at my jordan/lebron and the corner was at best 8.

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
JVC said:

bad assumption, esp. when pc's are involved. i know you looked at my jordan/lebron and the corner was at best 8.

Obviously with the exception of PC items which I failed to mention because it was already stated previous to my post. Sorry about that.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
JVC said:
Blue Hodges Reverend said:
JVC said:

Obviously with the exception of PC items which I failed to mention because it was already stated previous to my post. Sorry about that.

I think its a fair assumption, but with every assumption, there will obviously be some instances that stray away and the PC 1/1 would be one of those. I haven't seen an authentic holder in hand so im not sure if i prefer the look of a BGS 8 or the authentic, that seems to be the choice for BHR and his card

Members online

Latest posts