Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Randy Johnson win #298 equals K#4828

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Tonight Randy Johnson won his 298th career game, and his 9 strikeouts puts him at 4828 strikeouts for his career...so the question is...will we see another 4000 strikeout pitcher again? (Of note, Johnson realistically will hit K #5000 next season at this rate.)

Currently there are only four on the list:
1. Nolan Ryan - 5714
2. Randy Johnson - 4819
3. Roger Clemens - 4672
4. Steve Carlton - 4136

The put it into perspective the only player who is within 2000Ks of the 4000 mark and an age making it possible is Javier Vasquez, and I don't think anyone thinks he has another 2000 Ks in the tank.

Johan Santana is 30 and sits at under 1700 so it would take 12 200K seasons to get to 4000.

Oh, I know people want to throw Lincecum into this discussion...but let him reach 500Ks before we start projecting him reaching 8 times that.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
200lbhockeyplayer said:
sportscardtheory said:
CISCOKID23 said:
craiger122003 said:
I say no he will be the last

and maybe the last 300 winner

With a "cleaner" game of baseball, 300 will be more readily attainable.
You're kidding right?

Please explain why you think 300 will be easier simply due to steroid testing.

Pitchers stand a better chance of not pitching against juice heads... thus having better stats and longevity?

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
sportscardtheory said:
200lbhockeyplayer said:
sportscardtheory said:
CISCOKID23 said:
craiger122003 said:

You're kidding right?

Please explain why you think 300 will be easier simply due to steroid testing.

Pitchers stand a better chance of not pitching against juice heads... thus having better stats and longevity?

Better stats due to non steroid use equals longevity? It doesn't make sense to me. If anything, you could argue the opposite. Look at what most people think steroids have done for Clemens career. I am not sure he would have got to 300 wins without juicing. I think it will take a Greg Maddux type to accomplish 300 wins again, and that will not be due to steroid testing. Randy Johnson may be the last true strikeout pitcher to reach 300 wins in my opinion. It seems more and more these young strikeout pitchers are having TJ surgery early in their career. It won't be long before two TJ surgeries in a career will the norm.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Stephen Strasburg = HOF

Now, Now. :lol: ::facepalm:: On a more serious note, Johnson will be the last 4000 K and last 300 game winner for a while. With pitchers and their lack of longevity in games these days, it is highly unlikely that there will be another 300 game winner.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
obv i was joking.

In all seriousness, I could see Johan getting 3,000 K's and 300 wins with his changeup. He's going to lose velocity sure but he has such a great changeup that he could pitch beyond 40. He's going to need 2 or 3 more 20 win seasons though.

jbone17 said:
Stephen Strasburg = HOF

Now, Now. :lol: ::facepalm:: On a more serious note, Johnson will be the last 4000 K and last 300 game winner for a while. With pitchers and their lack of longevity in games these days, it is highly unlikely that there will be another 300 game winner.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
The fact that his 9 Ks last night put him over a strikeout an inning is just crazy.

Regardless, he will indeed probably be the last 4000K, 5000K and 300 win pitcher.

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
Someone will reach it again. No record stands forever without a fundamental change in the game. (Such as pitchers that used to win 43 games in a season will never happen again because the game is fundamentally different now.)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Therion said:
Someone will reach it again. No record stands forever without a fundamental change in the game. (Such as pitchers that used to win 43 games in a season will never happen again because the game is fundamentally different now.)
You could say that the 5-man rotation has fundamentally changed the game enough making 300 that much harder because each pitcher gets 16 less starts, along with middle relief limiting the number of decisions a pitcher will get.

Regardless, the 300 win total is more reachable than 4000 Ks.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
Is it out of whack to label RJ one of the top 5 pitchers ALL-time? IMO he's light years ahead of Nolan Ryan.

He would have Ryan's record if it wasn't for several injury-laden seasons. EDIT: I went back and looked at how many starts he missed due to injury or the strike and it is around 75. Assuming he gets his typical 10 K's/game, it would be neck-and-neck who came out on top as strike out king.

sportscardtheory

Aug 16, 2008
Buffalo, New York
notjomommasclint said:
sportscardtheory said:
CISCOKID23 said:
craiger122003 said:

you are aware that more pitchers have been suspended under the ped usage policy than position players correct?

Show me a list of pitchers that have been LINKED to steroid use compared to a list of position players. I say it's at least 2 to 1 if not more.

Edit - I just realized there are far more positional players on a team than pitchers, lol.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
markakis8 said:
Is it out of whack to label RJ one of the top 5 pitchers ALL-time? IMO he's light years ahead of Nolan Ryan.

He would have Ryan's record if it wasn't for several injury-laden seasons. EDIT: I went back and looked at how many starts he missed due to injury or the strike and it is around 75. Assuming he gets his typical 10 K's/game, it would be neck-and-neck who came out on top as strike out king.

Staying healthy is all part of the game. Junior would have 800+ HRs if he could have stayed on the field.

This is why I love the show "Prime 9" on MLBN. They did a whole show about how impossible some of these records will be to break. You would have to average 250 K's per season for 23 season to eclipse Ryan.

Members online

Latest posts