Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

One of the true joys of a player collection...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
...is finding that really unique oddball item that makes you laugh.

Found this 1982 Rangers spring training scorecard for my Don Zimmer collection (for a whopping $1). What's better than the goofy Zim shoving a hot dog, bowl of nachos and popcorn into his jowls, with equally goofy kids surrounding him? I love the kids wearing batting helmets. Me and my brothers wore the ones they gave away at the ballpark back in the early 80's, but you never see kids wearing fake plastic helmets any more.

82springtrainingprogram.jpg

If you've got an oddball item that makes you laugh, please show us!

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
i had one of the fake plastic helmets signed by PAWS and i use to wear it around at the games haha

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
gracecollector said:

Found this 1982 Rangers spring training scorecard for my Don Zimmer collection (for a whopping $1). What's better than the goofy Zim shoving a hot dog, bowl of nachos and popcorn into his jowls, with equally goofy kids surrounding him? I love the kids wearing batting helmets. Me and my brothers wore the ones they gave away at the ballpark back in the early 80's, but you never see kids wearing fake plastic helmets any more.

I'm going to ask a stupid question.....do you have a copy of Mark Grace's book "Winning with Grace"?

David

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
dethomas07 said:
gracecollector said:

I'm going to ask a stupid question.....do you have a copy of Mark Grace's book "Winning with Grace"?

David

Yeah David, got that. The publisher once tried to sell me 200 extra copies for like 50 bucks if I wanted to try to get rid of them! Turned him down. Thanks for asking though.

Bornagaincollector

Aug 7, 2008
Cleveland,Ohio
The 80's were so fun! Reminds me of the baseball bunch with Johnny Bench,my favorite epsiode was when Andre [hawk] Dawson on there and the San-Diego chicken thought it was a hawk that would eat him.That was Classic. :lol:

cammy collector

May 4, 2009
Western Maryland
LOVE oddballs in a player collection, yours is certainly no exception. Here's mine to contribute, my favorite of the many unique items in my collection, although not quite an "oddball" in the same sense as the two posted already.

MCSignedEnvelope.jpg

-Mike

wideright

Aug 7, 2008
I was cleaning out the garage a few days ago and ran across my old plastic helmets I got back in the 80's. Adjusted the bands inside, and my 5 and 2 year old boys were sporting the Padres and the Tigers, and I had a beat up Montreal Expos! It was awesome! :D

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have a magazine with Big Frank on the cover, standing at a charcoal grill serving up 1995 Leaf cards...I remember the cards because one of them is a Statistical Standout, my favorite card at the time.

I'll try to scan if I remember.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Here are a couple of oddballs that I've collected. I have no idea what year they're from...

October1.jpg

October4.jpg

January28.jpg

I also really like this hat. I had one back in the day, but it fell victim to some sort of high school shenanigans, I think...

IMG_1334.JPG

nurvanna

Feb 18, 2009
phoenix, az
cgilmo said:
i'm not really a player collector
but this makes me laugh
floreschrome.jpg
that's not funny. :oops:
i know someone else that did that same thing and maybe took it way too far( though i still have the box to get as well ;) )...
expired redemption
brandon_wood_2003bdp170_redemption.jpg

sealed pack
03pack.jpg

wrapper
03wrapper.jpg

checklist
brandon_wood_2003bdpphbc_au_030608.jpg

*ps sorrry i hijacked this thread*

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Inside cover of a 1995 Beckett commemorating Mickey Mantle has that too!

I have his Statistical Standout and .300 Club cards from that product - two of my favorite cards just because they were favorites as a kid.

BunchOBull said:
I have a magazine with Big Frank on the cover, standing at a charcoal grill serving up 1995 Leaf cards...I remember the cards because one of them is a Statistical Standout, my favorite card at the time.

I'll try to scan if I remember.

HawaiianLance

Aug 7, 2008
Long story short: I wanted to scan this for you years ago, but life (as usual) got in the way. Found it again after tearing through my apartment these past two hours for a board member (who will likely be disappointed when I have report to him that I lost something - sigh)

But at least something good came from the time invested. It doesn't make one 'laugh' per se, but I thought it might bring a smile to your face Brad:

97chicagovineline.jpg

BTW, this pub is extraordinarily large & unwieldy: 12"W x 16"H. What would prompt a publisher to pick that size to print onto fragile newsprint?

Latest posts