Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which team has the best 2-player combination?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Another thread got me thinking - which team in baseball has the best pair of players to build a team around? In other words, If you could have 2 players from any current team in baseball to start a team with, who would they be?

Here's my list of the 2 best players from each team in baseball, feel free to agree or disagree with the list and offer your best combo. Note: these aren't necessarily the 2 best players on the team, as other factors I consider are age, injury risk/history and potential career declines.

Angels - Bobby Abreu/Torii Hunter (old team...)
Astros - Hunter Pence/Carlos Lee
Athletics - Matt Holliday/Trevor Cahill?
Blue Jays - Roy Halladay/Alex Rios
Braves - Jair Jurrjens/Brian McCann
Brewers - Ryan Braun/Yovani Gallardo
Cardinals - Albert Pujols/Yadier Molina
Cubs - Alfonso Soriano/Rich Harden
Diamondbacks - Dan Haren/Justin Upton
Dodgers - Chad Billingsley/Matt Kemp or Chad Billingsley/Clayton Kershaw
Giants - Tim Lincecum/Pablo Sandoval
Indians - Grady Sizemore/Cliff Lee
Mariners - Ichiro/Felix Hernandez
Marlins - Hanley Ramirez/Jorge Cantu
Mets - David Wright/Johan Santana (my pick)
Nationals - Ryan Zimmerman/Stephen Strasburg?
Orioles - Nick Markakis/Adam Jones or Nick Markakis/Matt Wieters
Padres - Adrian Gonzalez/Will Venable :D
Phillies - Chase Utley/Jimmy Rollins
Pirates - Nate McLouth/Paul Maholm
Rangers - Josh Hamilton/Ian Kinsler
Rays - Evan Longoria/Carl Crawford (maybe David Price? maybe BJ Upton?)
Red Sox - Jason Bay/Dustin Pedroia
Reds - Joey Votto/Jay Bruce
Rockies - Troy Tulowitzki/Dexter Fowler?
Royals - Zack Greinke/Joakim Soria?
Tigers - Miguel Cabrera/Curtis Granderson
Twins - Morneau/Mauer
White Sox - Carlos Quentin/Bobby Jenks? (old team...)
Yankees - Alex Rodriguez/C.C. Sabathia

Thoughts and opinions? I think I rank my Mets combo first slightly ahead of the pair of Cardinals. Detroit and Tampa are intriguing options as well, as are the Jankees.

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Well i say Cardinals DUH but i will defend
Pujols: Nuff said
Yadi: He has come a long ways hitting he is a patient hitter now hits for average
hits in the clutch all around team player as for defense he is the best at catcher right now by far he has the best pickoff numbers and the best rate of
runners thrown out in the last 3 years nuff said

craiger122003

Aug 7, 2008
vegas
Also no offense but Wright is not holding up his end of the bargain no way he rates above Yadi also thats just for this year so far

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
craiger122003 said:
Also no offense but Wright is not holding up his end of the bargain no way he rates above Yadi also thats just for this year so far

Exactly, but let's not be like the rest of New York and throw in the towel on Wright's career. The reality is, over the past 4 seasons he's averaged 158 games played, 29 homers, 112 RBI, 105 runs, 185 hits, with a .311 batting average. What's more is that his power numbers are consistently heading upwards and he's still only 26 years old. And oh yeah, he's also won a pair of Gold Gloves over the past 2 seasons.

I won't argue that Molina is likely the best defensive C in the league right now, but he's a few months older than Wright and let's be honest, to this point far inferior to him offensively. Even with his "tough start" this season (yeah I know, a lot of K's), he's still hitting .315. The drop in power numbers can be attributed to the pitcher-friendly new confines of Citi Field as much as anything, so I can't hold that against him too much. When all is said and done, he'll still end up with 30+ homers, 110+ RBI, and a .300+ average.

I can't argue that Pujols isn't the best player in baseball, but Wright has yet to hit his prime and Johan is by far the best pitcher in baseball, so the combo still trumps your Cards in my opinion. If Molina continues to produce offensively through next year, I might reconsider.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
craiger122003 said:
Well i say Cardinals DUH but i will defend
Pujols: Nuff said
Yadi: He has come a long ways hitting he is a patient hitter now hits for average
hits in the clutch all around team player as for defense he is the best at catcher right now by far he has the best pickoff numbers and the best rate of
runners thrown out in the last 3 years nuff said

Eh, I'm somewhat leaning towards Ludwick over Yadi. I love Yadi, and I know he's hitting .300 this year, but I honestly haven't seen him do a thing this year. I know handling the pitchers is another thing, but Ludwick puts up tremendous numbers.

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Jeff N. said:
I wouldn't build a team around Rollins.

More like Utley and Hamels.

My pick, even though David Wright is the best 3B to walk the earth. Hard to believe he only has 2 gold gloves, plus he's so clutch.

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
mauer_morneau_square.jpg

So adjust the year to 09. I think you know what I'm saying. They aleady have their own graphic.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
Carl Crawford and Longoria have been very impressive, and Longoria and Pena might be the most productive run producing duo

A healthy Hamilton and Kinsler is equally impressive

Teixeria and AROD has the potential to be scary good

abncollectsautos

Aug 9, 2008
Georgia
Huffamaniac said:
Carl Crawford and Longoria have been very impressive, and Longoria and Pena might be the most productive run producing duo

im with you, longoria and pena are the best right now. but arod and teixeira, if hot, could be very intimidating

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hallsgator said:
Alex Rios blows. Adam Lind is much better.

Everyone is considering only this year's month+ worth of statistics which is far too narrow. I'm talking about taking a pair of players from any team and building a team around them. You're starting from scratch and can have any 2 players, therefore age has to be a big concern (which is why I neglected Chipper) and why I chose Crawford over Pena (27 years old vs. 30 years old). In other words, I'll take Crawford for the next 10 years over Pena for the next 10 years.

Also, Adam Lind has had a great month and a half, while Rios has consistently been the far superior player. I need to see Lind maintain his current run for at least a year.

Hallsgator

Aug 7, 2008
Charleston, SC
JEA2880 said:
Hallsgator said:
Alex Rios blows. Adam Lind is much better.

Everyone is considering only this year's month+ worth of statistics which is far too narrow. I'm talking about taking a pair of players from any team and building a team around them. You're starting from scratch and can have any 2 players, therefore age has to be a big concern (which is why I neglected Chipper) and why I chose Crawford over Pena (27 years old vs. 30 years old). In other words, I'll take Crawford for the next 10 years over Pena for the next 10 years.

Also, Adam Lind has had a great month and a half, while Rios has consistently been the far superior player. I need to see Lind maintain his current run for at least a year.
Rios wasn't very good last year either. I wouldn't a player on the down swing.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Rangers I'd go Holland/Kinsler, they always have bats, pitching is what will get them over the hump and it has so far this year...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts