Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

George Brett's 39 game hitting streak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Baseball stat gurus probably clicked on the title of this thread and thought one of a few things:
1. George Brett never had a 39 game hitting streak
2. He must have meant to say 30 game hitting streak
3. He must have meant to say Paul Molitor

After Zimmerman's streak ended yesterday, I mentioned that he had tied George Brett with a 30 game hitting streak. I knew that David Wright had a 26 gamer a few years back, and it made me think...I wonder what the longest hitting streak for a third baseman is? So, I searched and found that Pete Rose had a 43 game hitting streak in games which he played 3rd base (during his 44 gamer he played one game in Left Field, but in every other game he played at least some of the game at third). Number two on the list was George Brett and a 39 game hitting streak. Knowing that he never had a streak this long, I looked into it. Sure enough, Brett had a 39 game hitting streak in games in which he played 3rd base. Here's how it happened:

He started with a modest 9 game hitting streak. In his next game, he played first base and went 0-4. He went back to third for the next game, and proceeded to have a 30 game hitting streak while playing 3rd base in each game. In those 39 games, he batted a sick .497, going 78 for 157. Oh, and all this while suffering from hemorrhoids. This streak occurred on both sides of a trip to the 30 day DL.

Here are the longest hitting streaks by players who played each game at 3rd base: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... areit/kfCj

David

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts